Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm! Squandered, here we go again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Someone challenged my point on USA having a drop in life expectancy. If you google it, you'll find all kinds of articles on this subject. You might also consider the cuts in medical care that are already occurring in the USA because of Obamacare and cuts in Medicare. Those are also not going to help lengthen lives.
It is true and has been linked in the forum previously. It is within specific demographic groups and probably not what first comes to mind.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Someone challenged my point on USA having a drop in life expectancy. If you google it, you'll find all kinds of articles on this subject. You might also consider the cuts in medical care that are already occurring in the USA because of Obamacare and cuts in Medicare. Those are also not going to help lengthen lives.
Study shows declining life span for some US women | Fox News

Quote:
The latest research found that women age 75 and younger are dying at higher rates than previous years in nearly half of the nation's counties - many of them rural and in the South and West. Curiously, for men, life expectancy has held steady or improved in nearly all counties

Quote:
The study is the latest to spot this pattern, especially among disadvantaged white women. Some leading theories blame higher smoking rates, obesity and less education, but several experts said they simply don't know why.
Female life span decreasing: Some possible reasons for the bizarre trend | Fox News

Multiple other links and sources as you correctly noted including supporting a non gender specific drop.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/us...king.html?_r=0

Quote:
In a stunning development, life expectancy for some Americans is actually declining.

The life expectancy of white high school dropouts in the U.S. has dropped since 1990, according to a new study published by Health Affairs, which analyzed government data. The researchers found that the life expectancy of white female high school dropouts plunged to about 73 years in 2008 from 78 in 1990. The life expectancy of white male high school dropouts has fallen by 3 years to 67 years in the same time period, according to the New York Times.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Is this thread now opening to all disasters?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
The world's population is already over seven billion and rapidly increasing.

We're currently adding over 80 million new people--net--every year,
and even the most optimistic predictions show 10-11 billion people
before there is any stabilization.

And those are just 'predictions'...
Those prediction are made by journalists, who know little of demographics. Read the article I linked about China and its demographic time bomb to gain a clearer understanding of the subject.

Also, consider:
It takes a birth rate (that is, how many children the average woman will bear in her lifetime) of 2.0 to sustain a population of no growth.
There is not a single European country with a birth rate of 2.0 or better.
Population growth in America is solely due to immigration.
Russia has lost 5 million people in the last 10 years. They are down to 143 million people.
China speaks for itself, as explained in the above article.
And of course there is the article that started this thread, about America heading for disaster. Dunno for disaster, but change, for sure.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is this thread now opening to all disasters?
I thought most of the conversation was about the aging population

Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My own simplistic recommendation to younger people is to get a job helping seniors. Something in health care, something in medicine, something in designing elder housing or offering specialized services.

I heard of someone who started her own business helping seniors pack and move. She tailors it exactly to the needs of seniors and is very successful. There will be a huge void once the boomers are gone but for some time into the future, meeting their increasing needs should produce some opportunities.
You are right about the health care and senior service jobs. I did in home health care for a couple of years and stayed busy! Our medical community is constantly growing here and health care jobs are, if not plentiful, at least available. RNs make around $35 hour and CNAs anywhere from $10-15 hour. It was $12 hour when I was doing it.

Helping seniors pack and move...what a great idea! I've moved so many times, myself, I can almost consider myself a 'pro'. LOL How much would one charge for such a service?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm familiar with the population bubble discussion, and think it is an oversimplification of a rather complex topic. Though more of a P&OC discussion topic, I'll just state that I think it makes a fundamental mistake in looking at the US economy as a closed and static system, instead of a dynamic international system.

Add in technology changes, world wide population growth, public expenditures (especially for disaster recovery) and the past impact of excessive leverage and this discussion can get very messy.

But, I basically don't find the US population bubble analysis as a core driver in determining future asset value.
The bubble is global. Perhaps not as quick as in the industrialized countries but it is going to hit. Also, most of the money is in the industrialized countries and the 1% in the NICs. And none of these demographics are particularly fecund. It will hit.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
One big difference between the US and Japan: we allow, and sometimes even welcome, immigrants.
Immigration is slowing. Two reasons. 1) Our economy has changed structurally and is not as good for upward mobility as it was during the immigration Golden Age. 2) The source countries are in a downward trend of birth rates.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As the boomers finally do retire the next gen will rush in to take their jobs. There may be a lag time of underspending but then it will probably pick up. The big question is at what salaries and benefits will the next gen be offered for the jobs they will take. And how much high tech is going to replace many of the boomers' current jobs in the next few years.
Many of the jobs held by the Boomers have evaporated due to automation / "right sizing" (e.g. more work heaped on fewer people) or off shoring. There are structural changes afoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement