Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:18 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have long obsessed about summers in Ouray/Ridgway and even bought (and then sold) property in Ridgway twice. If only it were a day's drive away instead of 2,000 miles! Summers are wonderful. I can't think of two places a day's drive apart, even a long day. Frankly, I'd love summers in the Mountain West and the rest of the year right here in New England (yes, even after this rather annoying winter we've had).
Ouray is pretty wonderful.

We drove from Salt Lake down to Taos and took a route that wound down through Colorado.

Pretty spectacular area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM

373 posts, read 589,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This is just a thought exercise, but if you could have two homes a day's drive or so apart where would they be? Let's assume you would want the most perfect summer weather and activities in one place and the most perfect winter weather and activities in the second place. And you want to bring your pet and a bunch of stuff, so driving would be the best way to travel. One example might be somewhere in Florida and somewhere in PA. Another might be somewhere in Oregon and somewhere in Nevada. What pair would you most enjoy?
If its only summer weather, just about anywhere away from the Gulf coast. If its winter and summer weather, anywhere farther north. Good winter weather with the winter weather you talk about is at least 2 and a half days away. Nevada is too cool in the winter except for Las Vegas. PA is more than a one day drive from the business end of Florida (two plus days) - you have to go Tampa southward. Increase it to 2+ days travel - way more possibilities.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM

698 posts, read 959,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
it makes so much sense to do this. I've suggested this to my wife many times. We could sell our house, buy 2 smaller condos in a warmer and cooler climate, split the furniture between them, live the best of both places.

But no luck so far.
Foolish woman. So many women would jump at the chance to have this opportunity.

I'm not picky about where I would go and my 1st choice is more than one day's drive:

East Coast:
Central FL for winter
VT for summer

West Coast:
Sonoma CA for winter
somewhere north of that and green for summer

Old 02-16-2014, 05:38 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Ouray is pretty wonderful.
I love Ouray for a week or two. After that I'm ready to be back someplace with restaurants and cultural offerings!
I know many people don't need those but danged if I can figure out what retired people do all day in Ouray. Because of the bears, you can't even have a vegetable garden or a bird feeder.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,151 times
April through December in the Texas Hill Country and maybe Corpus,TX or Southern California the rest of the time

Old 02-17-2014, 02:44 AM

358 posts, read 512,067 times
Death Valley (winter) and Wisconsin (summer).

I have unique tastes. Death Valley is far out. Cheap and beautiful. Close to wondrous natural places.

If I need urbanity I can drive to Las Vegas or even LA. I'd be living in an RV, so I could change from year to year.

Wisconsin is my home, of course and in summer there is so much to see and do. But again, living in an RV I could go wherever I want.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I love Ouray for a week or two. After that I'm ready to be back someplace with restaurants and cultural offerings!
My daydream of summers in Ouray/Ridgway involved leasing a horse for the season and riding every day. I prefer Ridgway because of the wide-open views. But for restaurants, nothing wrong with the Outlaw in Ouray, and you can't beat Panny's Pizza in Ridgway! I'd see being quite active, riding, getting a bike on the bike path to the reservoir, attending concerts in the parks, the little festivals, etc. Only in summer to get away from the muggy Northeast summers, which I dislike and which gets stickier every year (thank heavens I don't care for the ocean!)

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Yep; its very dependent on the person and now use to concrete versus nature they are.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Mountains of NC and Hilton Head (or Bluffton, or Charleston, or Savannah)

Old 02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,252 times
Temecula, CA
Del Mar, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement