Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,198 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 20's and one of my regrets is staying in a job way longer than I should have.

I would say:

Cut out the junk/fast food if that's a problem. Try to eat healthy most of the time. Fit in exercise when you can.

Do not lend money. Be smart with your money. Have an emergency fund. Live below your means. Set up a repayment plan to pay down debt if you have any.

Be thankful things ended with that guy. You're better off without him. Focus on your school/career. Find other hobbies to get your mind off him.

Spend time with your relatives. You may not have as much time with them as you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I'm in my late 20's and one of my regrets is staying in a job way longer than I should have.
I agree with this - advance as much as you can and keep driving at this stage or you will end up being complacent. Even if it means switching [professional] jobs a few times.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Don't get fat

Save money, no matter how little.

Everyone is different, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't go out clubbing every weekend. It would be every other weekend. I would put the money I spent away.

I used to go out with the idea of meeting people. I did, but the ones who accomplished something in that particular environment became famous and moved away. Won't mention names but you'd know them The others were just basically directionless partiers.

I wish I could take that time and money back and use it more on self-development. Pays off more in the long run.

If you have the money when you get a bit older-but not too much older- look into long-term care insurance. It sounds ridiculous, but if I had bought a plan in my 20s, I could have unlimited care whenever I need it for under a 100 bucks a month. I would have to pay over 400 bucks a month for a similar plan now. It is age-based and you will likely need care some day.

Considering the way our health insurance is going I would look into it.

Other than that, be fearless within reason lol.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Every place where you form a group of friends, take a few group photos and write on the back each of their names.

Every place where you work, take a few group photos and write on the back each of their names.

We were both 22 when we got married. 33 years later we are still together.

We waited 5 years before children. I think that was a good idea.

I worked in a career field where I was deployed a lot. I was usually deployed 7 months of every year; no phone, no mail, no TV, no radio, gone.

Everyday it haunts me, how much of my youth was spent on deployments. I was gone for most of our children's childhoods, etc.

However we saved a lot, we invested a lot, and I retired on pension when I was 42.

Quote:
Do you have any regrets on how you lived your twenties?
Where did it go?

My career was a royal *****, I hated it. But we built a large portfolio, I got my pension.

This is my 13th year on pension. My highschool classmates still have a decade to go before any of them get any form of pensions.

Overall I must say that I did the right things in my 20s.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
And as for marrying in your 20's? I highly suggest it. As long as you're marrying a person who is committed to marriage for life. I have all kinds of friends that married young and are still together. I was 23, and that's about average among the people I know.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM

434 posts, read 684,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I absolutely agree with this advice, particularly the advice not to marry in your 20's. I did, and it's the greatest regret of my life. The wonderful "replacement husband" that I married in my 40's always said that people shouldn't be allowed to marry until at least age 35.
I disagree with the "don't get married in your 20s" advice. I never push marriage, but I was married 2 weeks before my 26th birthday, and my wife and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary this year.

Both my wife and I have changed throughout our 25 years together, but honestly, a person should know who he/she is by his/her mid 20s. If not, than he/she isn't marriage material, then. Each person is an individual, and develops differently and at different speeds. You have to be mature enough to decide for yourself, and if you are unsure than you probably aren't ready, or the other person isn't right for you.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
We married in our early 20's and have had no regrets at all many years later. There is one difference we've observed though from our generation to the newer ones. It's not difficult to find 20-somethings that are not as prepared for adulthood these days as we were back then. Heck, even looking at our own kids, they are nowheres near ready at this point to marry and settle down. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
  • Do not marry in your early to mid 20's
  • Do not have children in your early to mid 20's
  • Have a solid idea on what you want to do while in college
  • Learn as much as you possibly can
  • Do not lament on trivial matters

Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchick118 View Post
Hello my wise friends,

I am 22 and I was hoping you can give me some advice. .................Is there any advice you could give me?............
Don't get pregnant until you want to. Do whatever you need to do to protect yourself.
Guard your health like you were a PitBill. Eat properly. Exercise.
Don't smoke.
Live within your means.
Save money.
Don't follow the crowd.
Love a dog.
Travel. And when you do, travel light. LIGHT!, as in backpack.
Learn a foreign language.
Ride the San Fransisco cable cars. See the Grand Canyon. The Empire State Building and Central park.
Talk to strangers.
Reinvent yourself and change locations a few times.
Take a train trip.
Plant something every April and watch it grow.

And when you feel stressed or in doubt, be still within yourself. The Answer will come.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Well, I was a bum in my 20's. And I enjoyed every minute of it.
Early 30's were a bit dicey, because I didn't follow any advice like MagnoliaThunder offered, but everything worked out in spite of that.
Now I'm an old fart, and probably will work until I die, but life has been good and I don't regret a bit.
Well, there was one thing. Met a girl who invited me to travel around with her, and we were supposed to meet up in Atlanta, after I finished a job I was doing. I got sick and spent a couple of days in the hospital down in Florida, and missed her by a day or two. She went on, and I never saw her again.
My only regret is that she probably thought I blew her off. I hate that.

Yup. that's my only regret.
Enjoy life, and don't get hung up on a bunch of useless crap.
Oh, and, and Horace Greeley once said, "Go West, Young lady"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement