Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Since we will probably relocate to another state in retirement I have no idea where to turn to get info. The classes put on by the insurance companies are obviously biased towards their products. Maybe AARP could offer help.

I'm still trying to figure out why you get penalized for applying later than you are eligible.
The only substantial difference would be what supplemental policies would be available in , not only what state, but what area of a state. That is not something you can accurately plan for ahead of time.
As for the penalties, I would have to guess it is because the costs are predicated on all eligible Medicare recipients contributing and if you wait 'until you need it' you have skipped the years of your assumed contributions so this is to make it up.
I could be wrong but it makes sense to me (much like the fines for not buying insurance right away under the new ACA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:24 PM

27 posts, read 57,281 times
Default Medicare Confusion...

I will be signing up for Medicare in two months. Just moved back to the USA after years overseas so this whole Medicare/Obamacare Talk are topics I'm just not dialed in on yet. Anyway, husband is younger so still employed and we were just moved over from our overseas policy to a United Healthcare Policy in the USA. I live in Texas.

I'm confused about who becomes primary who is secondary. Is Medicare always considered primary?
I understand Part A is free
Can I skip buying part B because I have my husband's insurance covering me already?
I don't take any medications, so I think the company coverage should be enough. Or do I have to have a Medicare Pharmacy policy too?
Sorry for my ignorance, I've read the gov.website and it resulted in a headache but no clarity!!
For anyone complaining about care in the USA....try living overseas and getting a taste of Socialized Medicine....it hasn't been a nice experience!!

Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
According to Medicare, if there are more than 20 employees, Medicare will be secondary in your situation.
You do not need to get B or D(Prescription) as long as your work insurance provides the benefits.
http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02179.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement