U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 PM

130 posts, read 284,476 times

Advertisements

I'm a few years from retirement, but would like to hear from people that snowbird in different locales. What has been your experience and what advice can you share? Did you eventually buy a second place or continue to rent each year? I could envision living somewhere in the northeast and renting for 2-3 months each winter, just not always in the same area.

Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,588,562 times
We have gone to Tucson AZ, lovely climate. Mostly Florida because we have friends and family there. Also been to California.
My choice would be Florida but only for the winter.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,968,972 times
Interesting post as i am planning to retire somewhere in the next few months or so and ultimately we want to leave NJ and retire to coastal North Carolina to be closer to our kids who live in Charlotte. The other nigh my wife and i were discussing that we both have elderly mothers who are widows that live close to us in NJ and can we really pick up and just leave them. Our brothers and sisters are useless as we become the responsible ones. One is 93 and the other is 87. One is in a retirement community that has Assisted Living if one gets ill and the other lives with my wifes 70 year old brother that probably needs someone to watch over him. We moved up the NJ 7 years ago after the company i was working for in NC went out of business.
Quite the dilemma as theres no guarantee how long my wife and i are going to live and we have missed our kids for the last 8 years as they stayed down in NC.

We are both torn on what to do. Any thoughts out there. Love to hear what others think. It might help us in our decision.

jf

Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,407,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Interesting post as i am planning to retire somewhere in the next few months or so and ultimately we want to leave NJ and retire to coastal North Carolina to be closer to our kids who live in Charlotte. The other nigh my wife and i were discussing that we both have elderly mothers who are widows that live close to us in NJ and can we really pick up and just leave them. Our brothers and sisters are useless as we become the responsible ones. One is 93 and the other is 87. One is in a retirement community that has Assisted Living if one gets ill and the other lives with my wifes 70 year old brother that probably needs someone to watch over him. We moved up the NJ 7 years ago after the company i was working for in NC went out of business.
Quite the dilemma as theres no guarantee how long my wife and i are going to live and we have missed our kids for the last 8 years as they stayed down in NC.

We are both torn on what to do. Any thoughts out there. Love to hear what others think. It might help us in our decision.

jf
I understand your sense of responsibility to your mothers. I also understand your desire to be near your kids and to begin the next chapter of your life.

Is there any way to move the mothers to asst. living in NC?I would guess it might be cheaper than NJ and then the whole family (almost) would be in the same state.

This would save constant travel on your part to drive back to NJ or if you stayed in NJ, to drive to NC. The moms might fuss about this but perhaps if you explain your position they may understand and agree to move.

You do have the right to live where you & your wife will be the happiest.

P.S. Obama is visiting MN and he was just saying on TV that they had been off the plane for 1 minute when a man that was with him who was from NC said: "This is the coldest I've been in my life!" Big baby

Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,014,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post

jf
The one who is in asst living is safe. She could be invited to relocate with you, and if she says no, then tell her you'll see her 4 x year for a whole weekend each time.

The one with the 70-yr-old brother is the more difficult case. They could both quickly need assistance. Do they have the money to both go into asst living? A careful assessment of their situation is what I would concentrate on. If they cannot afford asst living, then tell them you're relocating and you'll find them an apt or other safe place in NC. It's probably much better that your whole family (your kids included) sticks together in one location. Drive home that point if you get any objections. It's the practical thing to do.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,339,600 times
We decided owning two homes was too much trouble so we bought an RV. We spend winters in the FL Keys and return home for the lovely spring, summer and fall weather. We travel slowly back home, sometimes heading west or visit places we haven't been before.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:38 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,066,874 times
One thing In have noted is that at certain age traveling to those wintering areas can be beyond what physical shape makes possible. Many of my relatives in Penn. who wintered in Florida each year eventually in 80's just couldn't take the trip and living beyond relatives who assisted them.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,744,789 times
The wife and I were considering doing that in 2012.

I searched the internet for a fully furnished rental house and found they were few and far between and very expensive.

We found a nice house here in the Ozarks of Arkansas that would be available seasonly until May 1st and took it.

Since we no longer had a place in MN ( and the deals I worked on for a summer home there fell through) , we bought a house down here and moved into it May 1st when our seasonal lease expired.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,744,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I understand your sense of responsibility to your mothers. I also understand your desire to be near your kids and to begin the next chapter of your life.

Is there any way to move the mothers to asst. living in NC?I would guess it might be cheaper than NJ and then the whole family (almost) would be in the same state.

This would save constant travel on your part to drive back to NJ or if you stayed in NJ, to drive to NC. The moms might fuss about this but perhaps if you explain your position they may understand and agree to move.

You do have the right to live where you & your wife will be the happiest.

P.S. Obama is visiting MN and he was just saying on TV that they had been off the plane for 1 minute when a man that was with him who was from NC said: "This is the coldest I've been in my life!" Big baby

( regarding the NC man with Obama )................many parts of MN did experience an.... all time record low daytime temp ....... for yesterday.

That NC man was justified for complaining about those frigid temps.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,912,777 times
The upper Midwest has had a hellish winter and it's not over yet. Here in da UP we have broke all records for 74 days below freezing.Lake Superior has froze over for the first time in 30 years. We look forward to 3 months in New Mexico starting next Jan. in our Coach. It's a great way to go , taking your home with you. , and if you do not like the place you picked, I can be on the road again in 1 hour to someplace else. Fact is we are considering one month in each place of our choosing. Jan. Feb. March..... The most difficult thing is getting out of here right after Christmas as you can never tell about the weather. Then the winterizing twice, but it's worth it. I have had enough winter this year to last a lifetime !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement