U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,287,421 times

Advertisements

As I read all that I can about money management, retirement planning etc, i've read all of the horror stories about those folks who wont have enough money to retire/survive comfortably in their old age. I'm no lib, but how do folks feel about giving up a little bit to help those who didn't plan well or just didn't make enough money to effectively save for retirement?

I'm also for holding Congress' feet to the fire on all of the wasted money every year, i'd rather my tax dollars went to help some poor, elderly American live out their years in comfort than $iss it away on foolish studies or give it to countries that hate our guts. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,286,635 times
> how do folks feel about giving up a little bit to help those who didn't plan well or just didn't make enough money to effectively save for retirement?

Social Security was always meant as a floor retirement benefit. Do you mean people who don't get SS for some reason?? Or do you believe SS is not enough?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> how do folks feel about giving up a little bit to help those who didn't plan well or just didn't make enough money to effectively save for retirement?

Social Security was always meant as a floor retirement benefit. Do you mean people who don't get SS for some reason?? Or do you believe SS is not enough?
I'm thinking In the cases where SS isn't enough. Like my MIL (divorced, no real skills) who lives with us, she gets $600/month. If she didn't live with us she'd be in rough shape...those are the kinds of people i'm thinking about.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM

973 posts, read 1,238,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I'm thinking In the cases where SS isn't enough. Like my MIL (divorced, no real skills) who lives with us, she gets $600/month. If she didn't live with us she'd be in rough shape...those are the kinds of people i'm thinking about.
I guess she could go live in a senior citizen building. There's one where I live. The "rent" they charge is based on their SSI or disability check. Your mil would probably pay like 100 a month rent. I don't know if she has them, but she's probably entitled to food stamps. The utility bill is low, too.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I'm no lib, but how do folks feel about giving up a little bit to help those who didn't plan well or just didn't make enough money to effectively save for retirement?
Hell no.
1) Why should I help people who didn't plan well?
2) When I made minimum wage, I saved. When I made more than minimum wage, I saved. If I couldn't afford something, I didn't buy it. And if you can't afford kids, you don't have them.

A big hell no.

I'll go put on my flame-proof suit now.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,332,370 times
Apart from social security, Medicare Parts A, B, and D, senior housing, food stamps, and utility relief, what does the OP want? Prime rib delivered on a silver platter every night?

Sure, go ahead, just put it on my tab with all the rest of it.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM

973 posts, read 1,238,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Hell no.
2) When I made minimum wage, I saved. When I made more than minimum wage, I saved. If I couldn't afford something, I didn't buy it. And if you can't afford kids, you don't have them.

A big hell no.

I don't know what's the bigger epidemic right now: parents who don't want to pay for their (minor) children or children who think the government should support their parents. Like that one poster, I think in the care giver section, put her father in a nursing home and sold his home. Wonders why the nursing home is "entitled" to the money.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Prime rib delivered on a silver platter every night?

Sure, go ahead, just put it on my tab with all the rest of it.
Damn nice of you to offer

Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
To some extent those of us who are reasonably comfortable are already means-tested, or to put it another way we are already subsidizing the less well off. At the risk of sounding like a broken record I will point out that Social Security retirement benefits return a greater percentage of wages to low wage earners than to higher wage earners. And that is only one example. Various other programs for the elderly exist, even if they do not exist in every single community. (Where I live there is a senior ride program which operates seven days a week, for another example. It is free.)

So I would re-frame the question in this way: Is the amount of subsidy which the elderly poor currently receive about right, inadequate, or overly generous? My personal answer is "about right". In other words, I harbor no particular resentment about the way my taxes are currently going to subsidize the elderly poor.

Are they going to some people who are in a fix through their own fault? Of course, but they are also going to others who are genuinely deserving.

Is there a realistic way for government to determine which recipients are genuinely deserving? NO!

Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Hell no.

A big hell no.

Ok; eloquently put. I think I have an inkling where you stand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or