Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
1. NO high ceilings! When I'm "eighty and shaky" (LOL) I don't want to have to either haul out a big ladder or have to pay someone to come over in order to change a lightbulb/clean a ceiling fan/fix a nail-pop etc etc simply because it's too high for me to reach via a two-step mini ladder.

2. Hallways wide enough to maneuver a wheelchair in, should the need ever arise.

3. Large (minimum 3x5) shower, with solid surface walls -- no grout to maintain!

4. Side by side washer/dryer instead of stacked.

5. Wide doorways

6. Extra wide gutters that don't need to be cleaned out as often.

On the subject of high ceilings, what the heck is with all of these 55+ builders who are designing houses with two-story ceiling high rooms, lofts, and "volume ceilings"??!! That's about as inaccessible as an interior house part can get, and for an older person it just does not make sense.
^ All this, plus laundry on first floor for me (I hang my clothes in the fresh air on the first-floor deck). Plus the master bedroom is on the first floor, so clothing to be washed goes from there into the laundry room.

For those who have all their bedrooms upstairs, makes sense to have the washer and dryer on that level.

When I think of my 90 year old mother bringing armfuls of bedding and clothing to be washed down from her second floor to the basement (2 flights of stairs), I shudder. Could've ended badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 02:30 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
And fortunately we were able to get them. We are lucky to have two decks, one covered. They are on opposite ends of the home and have interestingly different views. Our largest patio is off of the Family Room. It was all the large windows sold me in the home--especially the large ones in the kitchen--I had always wanted a kitchen with a view.
Congrats, I can appreciate.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:36 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Do any of you like trash compactors? We haven't ever had one, but I was thinking that it might make carrying out the trash easier. Or would it just make it heavier, and be something else to maintain? We have a compost pile, the original owner's have left us with some nice raised organic garden beds. So I will have a new hobby to learn. But there is so much packaging and waste that fills a bin so rapidly, that could be squished much smaller.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Default hanging clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
^ All this, plus laundry on first floor for me (I hang my clothes in the fresh air on the first-floor deck). Plus the master bedroom is on the first floor, so clothing to be washed goes from there into the laundry room.

For those who have all their bedrooms upstairs, makes sense to have the washer and dryer on that level.

When I think of my 90 year old mother bringing armfuls of bedding and clothing to be washed down from her second floor to the basement (2 flights of stairs), I shudder. Could've ended badly.
I have found that if I wash my delicate clothes (silk, knits, sweaters) on the hand wash setting, with no spin, they dry without need for ironing. I have always put down work towels to catch the drips, because they are saturated when they come out of the washer. Now I will hang them out on the deck to dry. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about that. I have one of those rolling hanging racks and can just roll them in when they are dry.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 PM

505 posts, read 716,583 times
I posted this on another similar post, but light colored counter tops is something to think about when replacing. I have a wonderful for aging house, but the counter tops are dark.
I had lighter in the last house I owned and will definitely change these out at sometime in the future.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 PM

460 posts, read 988,139 times
This sounds more like a thread for old people, rather than retired people. But then, I guess a lot of old people are retired.

I haven't changed any of the things you mentioned, since I retired. And I don't plan to, either. I am however, going to remodel the kitchen, master bathroom, replace some carpet, etc., just as a matter of keeping up the house.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:28 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Single story.
Seat in the shower.
As little maintenance as possible.
Higher toilets.
Safe, friendly neighborhood where we actually know our neighbors.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM

262 posts, read 307,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
have lever style door hardware--but had a Siamese who would reach up and open any door she pleased, even the ones to the outside, letting the rest of our pets out too!

She is gone now, and our new home has the round knobs, but the levers are something to think about as we age.

How funny! We have one cat who tries to open the doors but he hasn't quite managed it yet

Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
How funny! We have one cat who tries to open the doors but he hasn't quite managed it yet
Same here, lever doors with a 21 month grandson who almost can reach the handle and a four month old kitten who can jump and hit the handle but doesn't have the weigHt to open it. A few more months when height and weight are added and I'll have to come up with a brilliant solution.

As for vaulted ceilings, I love them, the house has such an open feeling here, they are perfect for the South and AC.

Tons of electrical outlets; coming from a very old house, it is a delight to find so many accessible plugs, there is always one nearby.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Home on multiple levels so I never get out of the habit of taking stairs dozens of times a day. Lots of stuff at easy walking distance (one mile or less) so that I continue in the habit of walking - if stuff were further away I would drive to it. (I still have a car and use it frequently, but certain things I walk to and enjoy walking: library, grocery store, barber shop, bank, several restaurants, and more). Otherwise nothing special. (I turn 70 in about a month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement