Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
.. no matter where you live , there is cheaper elsewhere . so we draw a line in the sand and live the lifestyle we desire and the outcome is whatever it is for you ...

sure , we could leave nyc for cheapsville but we don't want to , so life and outcomes for us like you , revolve around the life we choose and they are whatever they are

That's it, in a nutshell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is true everywhere .. no matter where you live , there is cheaper elsewhere . so we draw a line in the sand and live the lifestyle we desire and the outcome is whatever it is for you ...

sure , we could leave nyc for cheapsville but we don't want to , so life and outcomes for us like you , revolve around the life we choose and they are whatever they are .. we could all live in a trailer park or camp ground in a warm climate if we had to . so saying what could be somewhere else never makes sense unless you are somewhere else
So true. I hear this reprimand on C-D occasionally:
WHY would you leave the U.S. to live cheaper elsewhere, when you could move to BFE in fly-over country somewhere in the States for just as cheap?

LOL. Because we like living beachfront in a luxury condo, instead of a single-wide in tornado-ville….

Old 03-07-2019, 01:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So true. I hear this reprimand on C-D occasionally:
WHY would you leave the U.S. to live cheaper elsewhere, when you could move to BFE in fly-over country somewhere in the States for just as cheap?

LOL. Because we like living beachfront in a luxury condo, instead of a single-wide in tornado-ville….
It's your money and you can spend it any way you want. Just don't pretend you are being forced to do anything.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:14 PM

938 posts, read 423,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am 77 and I have been mortgage and consumer debt free since I retired at age 62. It makes life so much easier.
I’m right there with you! Only I’m just waiting to hit 62. Funny way to look at it but, we pay the garbage bill every three months. I just paid the most recent one so, I’ve got five more to pay before I file for SS.

Got to start checking the fishing gear. Spring is just about here.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:46 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,479 times
You will never be able to retire comfortably if you have a mortgage and are of "average income"- FACT.

For the 1% that would never be an issue however.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
You will never be able to retire comfortably if you have a mortgage and are of "average income"- FACT.

For the 1% that would never be an issue however.
average income ? what does that mean when the pay checks stop ? i was never a high income earner .. but i was a solid investor for 30 years taking the little bits i could save and compounding it over time in to a meaningful amount ..

i would have no problem taking a mortgage , staying with our investments and not only paying the mortgage but profiting ..

sorry , but you are mixing up 2 different issues.. housing costs are one issue , offsetting investments are quite another .

Old 03-08-2019, 08:53 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
People with pensions don’t have to pay off their mortgage. Don’t pass off opinion as fact.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:56 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
neither do those with no pensions .. as long as investments are doing fine there is no reason not to have a mortgage unless you are not an investor . but even then there is the risk of being to cash poor and house rich tying up to much in the house and hurting cash flow . ..

Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
People with pensions don’t have to pay off their mortgage. Don’t pass off opinion as fact.
I certainly hope there are options for the remaining 80%+ of us without pensions!

Ie... investors.

as an Investor for last 50 yrs of life, I can think of 101 reasons how a mortgage during retirement can be used as a very good tool! (and safe too!)

Whether @ home, abroad, RV, or on the moon.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:31 AM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
I am 60 and have no pension. Too young for SS. If it wasn't for a paid off mortgage (since 2014) I wouldn't have been able to stop working and "retire" in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement