Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:34 AM

813 posts, read 1,130,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sorta funny the turn in the discussion to child birth . I mean funny in a retirement forum. I guess some of us geezers have a young honey on the side.

I have a young honey at my side every night when I go to bed! I have been retired for almost 27 years and we have a eight year old and just started practicing for our next child to be born in 2015. My young Wife's first child was by Cesarean (very common in Lima) and we are looking into our choices for #2 Son (hopefully). Back to the subject of the thread. I should add, thanks to their Uncle Sammy, they will each get $1,000.00 a month to buy toy's and go to private schools and when I check out, good old Uncle Sammy has promised the misses a big fat check every month as well!

Last edited by alpineprince; 03-09-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 AM

440 posts, read 864,926 times
Quote:
Sorta funny the turn in the discussion to child birth . I mean funny in a retirement forum. I guess some of us geezers have a young honey on the side.
No not at all…I just think that people pick and choose things to prove a point…last time I looked we all have a choice about our futures and healthcare…if my dr requests tests or a c-section it's because he thinks I need it not because he's interested in the latest new car…It's very easy to lump all drs as in it for "profit" just as it's easy to say everything about nationalized systems don't work. I'm sure there are some drs that are profiteers but in my experience that is not the case just a parts of NHS systems work for some and not so well for others.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 AM

31,680 posts, read 40,970,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post

I have a young honey at my side every night when I go to bed! I have been retired for almost 27 years and we have a eight year old and just started practicing for our next child to be born in 2015. My wifes first child was by Cesarean (very common in Lima) and we are looking into our choices for #2 Son (hopefully).
Just curious why did you stop practicing?

Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
I guess some of us geezers shouldn't be having children they won't likely live long enough to see grow up. It seems popular in Hollywood and among those who seem to need bragging rights but my retired midwife wife and I both find it unfortunate. Funny in a retirement forum indeed. I would hope that this country is NOT #1 in that trend. Of course, this is all barring allowances for cultural differences.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 03-09-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 AM

25,442 posts, read 17,128,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ireland does, UK used to, Australia does and New Zealand does as well.

Go look up retirement visa.
This is the retirement forum.
At least be informed when you come here to post.
My sister has a New Zealand passport as well as her US one.
She had to prove a cash net worth of $500,000 before they would allow her to become a citizen.
Quote:
.....However, American citizens face some big roadblocks if they want to retire in New Zealand. If anything, the country is “perhaps best regarded as a part-time living option,” says Steenie Harvey, an editor for InternationalLiving.com , a website about living abroad. The country typically doesn't offer a permanent retirement visa for American. You can stay on a visitor visa for three months a year without much hassle. Another option is to apply for a temporary visa, which allows you to live in the country year-round for up to two years (after which time you must reapply for the visa) and travel into and out of the country.
Retire Here, Not There: New Zealand - Retire Here, Not There - MarketWatch

There is no free lunch. Mostly, if you have paid into a system for years or have bought your way in, it's fine. But there is very little in the world that is free. And usually the stuff that is free is not something you want.

My brother retired to Panama. Now, he's too poor to come back to the US.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I see the UK is only rated 18 to the US's 19. That's basically because other European countries have better state pensions than ours.

I count my blessings all the time that I'm retired here instead of in the US. I'd be struggling in retirement in the US if I was still there.
I don't know you, but I am guessing that if you had planned on retiring in the US (like we did) then you would have worked your plan so that it would become a reality.

Some countries work very well for those who do not plan. But America is not one of them. Here, you gotta work it out yourself.
That will all change some day. Already, it has been shown that lazy, uninformed, indolent people can get by perfectly well. And now they are being encouraged to believe that they will feel better if no one has any more than someone else.

PS: What about it? Will Scotland leave the UK?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Retirement security: U.S. lags other countries - Feb. 25, 2014

Most people I know are clueless as to how much better people of other countries have it than we do here. After all, we live in the 'greatest country in the history of the world'. Ignorance is bliss, so they say...
Count your blessings. We're 29th in infant survival and 37th in life expectancy.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Count your blessings. We're 29th in infant survival and 37th in life expectancy.
Maybe. Perhaps not.
Quote:
Note that due to differences in reporting, these numbers may not be comparable across countries; while the WHO recommendation is that all children who show signs of life should be recorded as live births, in many countries this standard is not followed, artificially lowering their infant mortality rates relative to countries which follow those standards.
Don't know how anyone could fudge the life expectancy numbers, though, although I will point out that there is only 5 years difference between the USA at 35th (or wherever you put it) and Japan who is #2 at 87 years.
Monaco runs away with the lead at 90 years.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:01 PM

813 posts, read 1,130,978 times
Quote:
Just curious why did you stop practicing?
Needed to use up all the condoms friends gave me after my last child at age 52. BTW, whoever gives/sells you a "lifetime supply" of anything is full of sh*t!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:16 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,363,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Good for you I get the feeling that profit is a dirty word to you...or would you rather govt. regulate that too?
There is profit, and there is unrestrained profit. The latter is a problem in all areas of US capitalism. It is, in fact, capitalism WITHOUT a conscience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Many countries have special emigration rules for retired folks.
Many countries welcome retired folks who can prove they will not become a burden on the state.
In Switzerland, last time I looked, they would consider retired people with an income of $100k/year, 30% of which would be paid in taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
The cost issues here in the states could for the most part be minimized by allowing competition between the states for insurance coverage. Currently, its regulated state to state. Competition will drive the cost of healthcare down.
Got the cart before the horse, here. Gotta take care of MEDICAL COSTS first. Insurance costs are determined by medical costs. Eliminate the $50 aspirin, $13 box of tissues, etc., and then - maybe - insurance rates will drop - if the hospitals don't find yet another way to rip off the consumer so they can pay big salaries, build even bigger facilities, and continue disguising their phony "nonprofit" status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement