U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 PM

49 posts, read 150,287 times

Advertisements

For those in their 30s and 40s, it seems like options abound for raising kids, saving for retirement, and so on. Everyone seems to have an opinion.

I'd like hear from those who have been through it all, looking back, giving advice to the rest of us "youngins"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 AM

1,464 posts, read 914,861 times
(I will leave financial advice to others, as I am content to live with less, but being sensible with your finances is always wise.)

I would share this...

Worry less about acquiring "stuff" and more about spending quality time with the ones you love.
Really treasure family and friendships (and pets of you have them.)
It is never too late to make positive changes to your life, and never too late to go in a different direction than the one you are heading. That applies to career, education, relationships and everything else that matters.
Savor nature, great books, music and truly enjoy the lovely things in life that give you true joy.
Life passes so very quickly, try not to dwell on the things that make you feel upset, try to change your thought about the circumstance to a positive rather than a negative.
A good attitude will keep you stronger and healthier mentally and physically.
Treat everyone with kindness, it makes life so much better for them and you.
Take care of your health, as one day time and your health will be more valuable to you than anything else. (Always use sunscreen.)

Tell those you love that you appreciate and really love them, (and say it often.)

Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 AM

1,464 posts, read 914,861 times
Sorry, I really mis-read your post, mikester.
I thought it was meant to be advice to 30 and 40 somethings, in general,
not necessarily to my younger self.

I have sincerely tried to live everything I posted here, and continue to do so.
So, I just shared the advice I would give to folks younger than myself to think about,
thoughts that I found to be worthwhile in my life thus far.

(As to advice I would give to my younger self, I would simply repeat, the words "wear sunscreen'.)

Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 AM

13,320 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Save a few bucks every paycheck.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 AM
bUU

11,882 posts, read 8,663,647 times
It all comes down to spending - structuring your lifestyle so that every financial choice you make is made in the context of living within your means. Incur only small amounts of debt, and try to make sure every bit of debt is incurred solely in the pursuit of something that will provide a very substantial ROI for that debt incurred. We humans do a pretty good job convincing ourselves that YOLO is a defensible rationalization for any and all spending - it isn't. YOLO is a defensible rationalization for putting one's self forward in other aspects of life, but the financial aspect of your life should be run like a business. If the financial profit potential of an expense isn't enough to justify the expense, then the expense should be deferred until you have paved the way to financial independence, and the money you spend on the expense is therefore surplus.

That's a pretty extreme, black and white directive, but deliberately so: That penchant for rationalizing spending money for what we desire is so strong that I know that any standard someone adopts in this regard will inevitably be compromised to some extent, now and then. By putting a stake in the ground, adopting such a black and white directive, hopefully that will reduce the impact of the rationalizations you will invariably use to violate the directive occasionally (because you will).

Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,145,702 times
No one on their death bed ever regreted the fact that they did not spend more time at the office.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
Your kids ARE WATCHING you! You can lecture all you want, you can give them a list of rules, but they'll do what they see you doing.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:53 AM

19,810 posts, read 19,905,205 times
Keep in mind that making no decision is a decision for the status quo.
There is an old saying about the end of life ...."It's not so much those things that I did that I regret but more the things I didn't do"

Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,332,892 times
I should have spent more time with my kids and less time at the office.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Lead a somewhat minimalist life and bank for the future. Pay cash. Children learn what they live. You can live a happy, fulfilling and productive life without ever bringing another child into the world. Work hard at something you enjoy. You'll be glad you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or