Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
A George Foreman grill....
George is a good salesman....He sold me something I didn't need and never used....I donated it to the GoodWill store after it sat idle for a year and to my surprise, the GoodWill store had a whole section filled up with various sizes of Foreman grills....Apparantly there are mucho other people that will never own one again too...
I use my Foreman grill quite a bit. I just wish I'd got one with removable grills. It would be easier to clean but this one isn't too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 04:57 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
I use the heck out of my FG! It's one of the last appliances I'd give up!

I AM in the market for a new dishwasher though....I'd like a slimline high efficiency model....preferably a redhead, but a blonde might do.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:09 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I actually thought about getting one of those for my road trips. I stay in motels that mostly don't even supply a coffee pot so I take my own. I thought one of those egg/toaster things would be handy because, once I get on the road, I don't like to stop again for a long while. Breakfast and coffee before taking off would be good! However, I never did do it. Probably just as well.

My "moment of madness" was when I bought one of those induction (?) cook top things. The one you see on TV with the BOGO offer all the time. Well, it wouldn't work with my pots and pans. Has to be magnetic. I went online to see if I could order the cookware and oh my...!!! The stuff is expensive. Also found out the BOGO offer is, pretty much, phony. You end up paying over $300 for BOTH sets and one is only supposed to be S&H. I took the thing back.

My mom has a Mr. Coffee ice tea maker that I bought for her years ago. She still uses it a lot all summer and I'm amazed it still works! I just use a gallon jar, one family sized tea bag and the sun...or just really hot water if it's cloudy, rainy, etc..
That induction stove and cookware is worth every penny, believe me. My husband bought me one of those things and we had stainless steel cookware to use already. Although I don't use the induction stove (just never got into a new cooking habit), he uses it all the time. It gets hot instantly yet feels cool to the touch. It's worth its weight in gold for just that reason.

My MIL came over one day and saw my husband cooking on it. She was instantly intrigued. So we bought her one of those induction stoves. She liked it so much she bought another one. Then my SIL wanted one, so my MIL bought her one. Now the whole family uses them every day.

I fail to see the purpose of an iced tea maker. I'm a tea drinking fool and drink tea every day, and a teapot, or just regular pot and pitcher has always done the job quite nicely.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Dryers can be rough on clothing because of the abrasion when they are tossed around together. When you hang them on the line, they are only surrounded by air. Maybe there is a difference between men's and women's clothing too, men's being more durable. That's part of my voluminous knowledge on the subject of laundry.
Our area is so humid if we hung our clothes on the line, they would only get moldy, never dry. Dryers are a necessity.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That induction stove and cookware is worth every penny, believe me. My husband bought me one of those things and we had stainless steel cookware to use already. Although I don't use the induction stove (just never got into a new cooking habit), he uses it all the time. It gets hot instantly yet feels cool to the touch. It's worth its weight in gold for just that reason.

My MIL came over one day and saw my husband cooking on it. She was instantly intrigued. So we bought her one of those induction stoves. She liked it so much she bought another one. Then my SIL wanted one, so my MIL bought her one. Now the whole family uses them every day.

I fail to see the purpose of an iced tea maker. I'm a tea drinking fool and drink tea every day, and a teapot, or just regular pot and pitcher has always done the job quite nicely.
I thought the induction stove and cookware would be good for me because I don't have a kitchen stove. I guess I just didn't pay enough attention to the type of cookware you had to use. Evidently a lot of people are happy with it.

I am also "a tea drinking fool". I go through a gallon of iced tea about every three days. If I didn't have to work I'd go through it faster. My gallon jug works just fine. I bought my mom one of those ice tea makers just because she wanted one.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,926 times
Bought a breadmaker once (the "Just for Dinner" model) and tossed it; the bread had a weird texture, almost spongy but dense. Maybe the more elaborate ones are better?

Had a Cusinart ice cream/frozen yogurt maker and used it one summer; gave it to my son and DIL after it sat on my top shelf for years.

Tossed out the Tassimo and Braun coffee makers when I gave up coffee for good. If someone insists on coffee, they'll either get instant or directions to the nearest Dunkin Donuts, lol

I had a Kalorik blender for years and never used it once. It got put into the tag-sale pile.

I would love to get rid of the toaster oven which I only use for toast, IF I could find an actual toaster that doesn't scorch the bread on one side and barely warm it on the other.

I do use the microwave but only to reheat cooked rice and warm up milk. It does seem like a waste of space for just those two things but I do use it for that on a daily basis.

On the other hand there are four appliances I wouldn't want to be without: Viking stand mixer, Zojirushi rice cooker, RabbitAir air purifier, and Aerus vacuum cleaner.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
to the anti-garbage disposer people

wudda you do with the scraps and food remnants left on your plate?

what advantage is it to not have one vs having one? more space to store things under the sink?
Here, we were are told to put all sorts of food waste, including greasy pizza paper, into our green bins. The garbage company composts them and sells the compost.

And any meat scraps, I wrap up in plastic, and toss in my trash. No odor -- however -- we don't have a lot of heat here. In warmer climates I don't know what would happen.

I loved mine, until it rotted out and leaked tons of water everywhere. I ended up replacing it because the plumber told me (and different one confirmed) that replacing it was cheaper than replumbing the whole sink area.

I grew up without a garbage disposal, but we also read a daily newspaper. We'd stack up the old newspaper, and at breakfast lunch and dinner, the food was scraped off the plates into a sink strainer and the dishes done. After the water had drained off the food waste, we lay out several layers of newspaper, and dump the contents of the food strainer into it, roll and fold the paper around it, and carry it to the outside garbage can. The only thing allowed in the house trash was trash -- all food waste went outside.

The then food strainer was washed and put back into the sink. They still make them

Corner Sink Strainer-White - Better Housewares Corp. 724

Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Bought a breadmaker once (the "Just for Dinner" model) and tossed it; the bread had a weird texture, almost spongy but dense. Maybe the more elaborate ones are better?

Had a Cusinart ice cream/frozen yogurt maker and used it one summer; gave it to my son and DIL after it sat on my top shelf for years.

Tossed out the Tassimo and Braun coffee makers when I gave up coffee for good. If someone insists on coffee, they'll either get instant or directions to the nearest Dunkin Donuts, lol

I had a Kalorik blender for years and never used it once. It got put into the tag-sale pile.

I would love to get rid of the toaster oven which I only use for toast, IF I could find an actual toaster that doesn't scorch the bread on one side and barely warm it on the other.

I do use the microwave but only to reheat cooked rice and warm up milk. It does seem like a waste of space for just those two things but I do use it for that on a daily basis.

On the other hand there are four appliances I wouldn't want to be without: Viking stand mixer, Zojirushi rice cooker, RabbitAir air purifier, and Aerus vacuum cleaner.
I bought three of those Cuisinart ice cream makers. They had them on super reduced sale of like 25 dollars. I gave two of them away as gifts. It was okay, but I only used it for one season. Too much trouble to make such a small amount of ice cream. And then you had to get all the ingredients etc. I now just get my ice cream from the Schwan's home delivery service.

Also had one of those Tassimo coffee makers - 5 dollars from Burlington. Never worked right, so it went in the trash.....

Old 04-30-2014, 03:41 PM

297 posts, read 794,986 times
[quote=Cyborgt800;33971271]...Not if you know how to correctly use it!

* Always run cold water while ALSO pouring a pitcher/glass/pot of water down until you hear it spin effortlessly...if it still rattles there's still stuff in it.
* NEVER put grease, butter or any other waste that solidifies at room temperature.
* Once each week dispose of an old citrus fruit through it...like a lemon, lime or orange...this will help it not smell.
* never let stuff just sit in it.

I'm not stupid. I know how to use a garbage disposal. Still don't like them.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Quote:
I'm not stupid. I know how to use a garbage disposal. Still don't like them.
Should I also post instructions for quoting in a thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement