Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times

Advertisements

After leaving LI for SoFla and moving into a 1200 sq ft airy home with two patios and tile/wood floors thru-out, I found that part of my liberation in retirement is that I will NEVER own a vacuum cleaner or an iron again! This is a great joy to me as I truly despised vacuuming and ironing. I will send out items for dry cleaning/pressing even if they are all cotton just to avoid that hated task, but that is a rare event as a few wrinkles in sports-wear and stretchy fabrics make it quite optional.

What dreaded tool or appliance will YOU never own again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:32 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
A food processor. Waste of space. Never use it. Chop my own stuff by hand with a good knife and a good cutting board. Also will never own a breadmaker again. Again, too much space, rarely used it, and the cost is more than good whole grain bread from the co-op or Trader Joes.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 PM

344 posts, read 416,878 times
Lawnmower or any other yard care tool

Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Breadmaker also. One was given to us and we tried it and didn't like it at all. Half the fun is in the hand kneeding.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:40 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
A garbage disposal. Maybe it is because I live in an older home with bad pipes and tree roots but can hardly put anything down the darn thing. The last time I put anything substantial down the disposal I had to pay $250 for a plumber who warned me that those things are useless.

I like my food processor, especially for kneading pizza dough. ;-)

Last edited by ABQ2015; 03-15-2014 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
After leaving LI for SoFla and moving into a 1200 sq ft airy home with two patios and tile/wood floors thru-out, I found that part of my liberation in retirement is that I will NEVER own a vacuum cleaner or an iron again! This is a great joy to me as I truly despised vacuuming and ironing. I will send out items for dry cleaning/pressing even if they are all cotton just to avoid that hated task, but that is a rare event as a few wrinkles in sports-wear and stretchy fabrics make it quite optional.

What dreaded tool or appliance will YOU never own again?
I despise all housework, but why do you think mopping your tile/wood floors is easier than vacuuming a carpet? I have no quarrel with anybody who has no carpets, but that seems a strange reason.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I will have carpet in every room except the bathrooms right outside of the tub, the rest of the bathroom will be carpeted.
The kitchen will also be carpeted except in front of where I prepare food and in front of the stove. Ten minutes with a rag and Pine Sol or a swiffer and the floors will be mopped so a traditional mop will never be in our home again after we build the home we want.
I won't have a bread machine but I will be keeping my food processor, I use mine all the time.
I won't have a hand mixer because I have a kitchen aid on the counter and it is used almost daily.
I do own an iron and ironing board but I use those to set the cross stitch after it is completed and washed and I also use it to iron the fabric for quilting and sewing projects.
I won't have a drip coffee maker again. I currently have a one cup coffee brewer, a melitta and an old fashioned plug in percolator I use when we have guests, I have a stove top/camping coffee percolator as well.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
We had a hot tub that we enjoyed, but it sprang a leak, and fixing it was going to be messy, so its gone. Never again.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I haven't had a garbage disposal for 50 yrs and have never missed it. Don't need a food chopper, rice maker, bread maker, deep fryer. I love all my outdoor tools--they make yard work seem like fun. Of course the iron was gone a long time ago.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:45 AM

332 posts, read 504,854 times
This is a funny thread. I was just about to do a search on vacuum cleaners because I am in vacuum cleaner hell. Machines and I do not get along. At all. Vacuum cleaners and lawnmowers and weed whackers are at the top of my list for most despised, but even the can opener defies me - and that's a manual! The only machine that I have ever befriended is the sewing machine, but alas, they are mostly filled with computer chips now. But gee, I have always wanted a garbage disposal.

Until they throw me into the nursing home I can't see being without most of the appliances that have been mentioned. Plus the snowblower of course. Never had a bread machine or Kitchen Aid. And I need the iron for quilting and felting. I guess I'd have to say that never needing a vacuum cleaner again would be great. I am averaging one a year and each one is more shabbily constructed than the last. I am hoping that my next house has no wall-to-wall in it. I could rant about vacuums until I pop a blood vessel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement