Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 10:05 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

This morning, while hanging the laundry, I thought of something that I bet we are all glad to see and accept - no-iron clothing. I've seen a few pieces that should have been ironed but, on the whole, no-iron is a blessing. Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
... I may be seeing something wrong but I'm seeing the flash drive as becoming outdated the way the old floppy disks did. Windows 95 - I had everything neatly done an filed on those disks. Comes XP. Oops! No good.
That's neither Windows 95 nor XP. That's hardware obsolescence. The manufacturers stopped putting floppy drives into computers because more buyers preferred a CD/DVD drive instead. you can still buy an external floppy disk drive and it would work just fine with 95 or XP, and probably even Windows 7 though I haven't yet tried that.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Thank you both for the question and the answer! I was beginning to wonder if I would wake up one morning to a blank screen. I have XP on an 11 year old HP mini and it works fine. I am not looking forward to buying something new.

I am looking at phablets (?) now because my landline and wifi deal will expire soon and I am sure the price will skyrocket. A phone/tablet appears to meet my needs for a reasonable price, but I want time to figure out if I can learn to use it before I give up my current system.

Also, the ancient, reliable tv quit this weekend and shopping for a replacement is daunting.

I want easy. I also want computer/tv combination. Not sure I can get both.
There are the continuing Apple TV rumors and what that could or couldn't be.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There are the continuing Apple TV rumors and what that could or couldn't be.
I was hoping the concept would be farther along before I needed a new set. I read an article this morning about hacking google tv which makes me wary of buying one.

Does anyone here have google tv?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's neither Windows 95 nor XP. That's hardware obsolescence. The manufacturers stopped putting floppy drives into computers because more buyers preferred a CD/DVD drive instead. you can still buy an external floppy disk drive and it would work just fine with 95 or XP, and probably even Windows 7 though I haven't yet tried that.
True but aren't the smart people always telling me I should be willing to accept the new?

Seriously, my problem went deeper than losing floppy disk capability. Dell had something that let you transfer data from your old computer to your new. When I bought my new computer, they sold this to me - and, yes, they knew I had Windows 95 - without telling me that it would not work on Windows 95. When I opened the leaflet, that's the first thing I saw. Totally useless to me which meant I "lost" a great deal of genealogical data. It was either retype the entire thing - humongous - or give it up. Fortunately, I also had it all printed out. I just reverted to paper work.

That is one thing many of us wish for - that the new software could be backward-compatible. I have heard all kinds of excuses as to why it can't be but why not? They can do so many wonderful things with computers and software. Why not backward compatible?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
I stopped eating at Chili's when they began using an actual chili for their name rather than the word. It was one of many reasons, though most definitely the last one.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:51 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I was hoping the concept would be farther along before I needed a new set. I read an article this morning about hacking google tv which makes me wary of buying one.

Does anyone here have google tv?
I am concerned about the same security issues. Lots of remote hacking of internet devices.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
My 8 year old XP computer needs to be replaced thanks to planned obsolescence by Microsoft, not because it doesn't work any more. For the past month I've been stressing over whether to get Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 on the new one. I've been using computers since the days of the IBM 7094 and punch cards. Up till now, I would switch to a new operating system without too much thought. But now that I'm older, I find that it's harder to learn new operating systems, especially since they don't give you manuals any more, and also that my frustration tolerance has declined quite a bit.

I feel like 8.1 is the way of the future. If I don't get it now, the next time I want a new computer it will be even harder to adjust to whatever new idea they come up with, since I'll have missed a step, and I will be even older. Yet I'm tempted to get Windows 7 because it won't be so hard to learn now.
Has anyone else faced this issue and how did you resolve it?
My not-quite-30-year-old son and I are sticking with Win7. At the rate we replace computers - I tend to keep them for 6 or 8 years or until something blows up, he tends to get a new one every 4 or 5 years - by the time we have to abandon Win7, Win8 will already be a thing of the past - so why bother?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Well I was born in 1990 but I still feel like I'd rather apply for jobs in person rather than online, and I would be upset if self-checkout was my only choice. Even since I was a child/teenager it seems like things have changed quite a bit in terms of stuff being automated. GPS units weren't common in cars until my late teens.
GPS units in cars STILL aren't common. However, black boxes - "event data recorders" - are in 96% of all cars manufactured in the US last year.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
How many Americans remember or ever used a rotary dial phone or remember clicking away with a tv tuner?
Well - me, for one. And while I don't mind a touch-tone phone, I will have to say, the TV tuner could at least be used even if you managed to lose the remote (again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement