Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times

Advertisements

When my wife retires next year we are going to sell our over priced house in Northern VA and move to a place where we can rent or buy a home for a very low price. But we don't want to move into a ghetto with all kinds of crime and run down neighborhoods.

Has anyone moved from an expensive area, found a retirement town with very inexpensive homes but great quality of life too? Where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 03:44 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
When my wife retires next year we are going to sell our over priced house in Northern VA and move to a place where we can rent or buy a home for a very low price. But we don't want to move into a ghetto with all kinds of crime and run down neighborhoods.

Has anyone moved from an expensive area, found a retirement town with very inexpensive homes but great quality of life too? Where?
Look outside the Pittsburgh PA area...Pittsburgh is a vibrant city and some communities just outside of it (and some neighborhoods inside) offer a great quality of life for peanuts for housing. You might want to escape to a warmer weather area during winter, though.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

The very expensive town(Naples) we winter in has plenty of inexpensive housing also so there was no need to give up on one to get the other.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:28 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I'm

More then likely it will be states with low income levels, low taxes, few social services, low amount spent on education (social services and education cost money), little public transportation, etc. If also looking for good weather (mild winters) then basically you will need to look below the Mason-Dixon line.

AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN. The border states like AR, KY, TN can have less then mild winters so they might be questionable for those wanting mild winters.

As an example, where I live. I am listing the web site for comparison. I have no financial involvement in the development other then I live here:

www.courtsidecommons.com

Also only 5 houses/lots left, so nothing that would fit your time frame.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 PM

6,754 posts, read 5,056,845 times
We're at least a few years from retiring, but the two of us have discussed some ideas. Austin (TX) keeps coming up as a possibility. Both myself and my wife have lived there in the past, so we have some knowledge of the area. You can get a smallish retirement house in a nice suburban neighborhood for $250K, maybe a bit less. The downtown area is more expensive, though.

I grew up in "the sticks" in the Midwest. There are tons of small towns all over the Midwest, and I'm sure in other parts of the U.S., that are clean, safe, and really cheap. The people are friendly too. It's not for everyone. I don't know if I'd like it now as I've lived in or near big cities for all of my adult life. A compromise might be to find such a smallish town that's close to a bigger city, but a bit too far for commuting (so the cost of housing is less).

Good luck,

hikernut

Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

As an example, where I live. I am listing the web site for comparison. I have no financial involvement in the development other then I live here:

www.courtsidecommons.com

Also only 5 houses/lots left, so nothing that would fit your time frame.

Hope this helps.
Wow, gotta love those prices. Incredible. Amazing!

What's Columbia like? Big city? How hot in the summer? Scary things in the backyard? Arts?

ETA: Are these attached cottages, or separate? Can you have a garden? What are the taxes and monthly fees?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
My sister lives in east TN near the Smokies. Not that far from Chattanooga and Knoxville. You should check that area out.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Columbia, SC- nice city- great zoo, lots of things to do, growing economy,

Hotter than Hades at least five months of the year. Probably one of the hottest places in SC in summer. Here's a graph. Add to the heat East Coast humidity

Average Weather for Columbia, SC - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 PM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Not for me. Horrible layouts! Long skinny houses meant to fit onto the skinny lots they've mapped out - too close to the neighbors, and I don't like the way nearly every house orients the main entrance to come in past the kitchen on one side and a bedroom on the other. I want my main entry to come into my living room.

To each his own - but you can get better houses with nicer yards almost anywhere in many medium size towns for around the same amount of money. WITHOUT a HOA.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
My bother in law lives in a senior trailer park in Santa Ana California. Its about 30 mikes south of LA in Orange county. I always used to think that trailer parks are where a lot of trouble makers live that can't afford better housing. That's not the case in this trailer park. His trailer is at least a double. Its actually pretty big inside. He paid about $17K for it and put in another few thousand to renovate it. There are nicer modular homes in the same park for about $25K to $30K. The main cost is the park rental fee for the land, which is about $800 a month, which includes water, sewer, and garbage. Since the property is so inexpensive, there's nothing or next to nothing in property taxes. That area is very quite during the day and night. The area seems to be safe at night. He has about a dozen fruit trees and garden areas.

The climate is pretty decent all year round. You could probably get by with little or no heat. I think that AC is needed about 14 days a year. The income taxes are less than Minnesota. But Minnesota is considered to be a pretty high tax state for retired people. Living in Santa Ana would be pretty cheap. I could have probably retired ten years ago if I lived there.

Singe family homes in Orange county are much more expensive, maybe $400K to $1M or more. The property taxes are probably around $12K to $20K.

So, its possible to retire and live very inexpensively in an area that has decent weather all year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement