Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times

Advertisements

I'm actually a mid-career professional, but will be eligible for early retirement (with a pension, yeah!) in 4 years. Doing a bit of daydreaming and low-order planning, and following the footsteps of innumerable recent threads soliciting advice for where to retire, I offer to the City-Data community my list of criteria - in no particular order...

1. A substantial and vibrant Russian-speaking immigrant community. It doesn't have to be Brighton Beach, but it should have at least a couple of thousand community-members in the metro area. There must be Russian grocery stores, community activities, venues for touring Russian-speaking artists, and the like.
2. Proximity to water. I'm a coastal person. I want to see real ports with real ships docked, and to smell the sea.
3. International airport. It doesn't have to be O'Hare, but there should be plenty of direct flights to Los Angeles and NYC, and direct flights to London and Frankfurt… and maybe to Moscow.
4. Moderate taxes… especially state and local income tax. I don't mind tax on earned income, but I'm sensitive to taxes on pension income, dividends, interest and capital gains. I don't really care about property tax, and I couldn't care less about sales-tax.
5. Mild climate. I don't mind the occasional snowstorm, but don't want to deal with below-zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures, or 5 months of winter. I don't mind the occasional heat wave, but don't want to deal with 5 months of 90-degree days. Perfect would be winter in the 40s and summer in the 70s.
6. Mass transit. I'm not one of those who insists on "walkable" communities, but I'd like to be able to drive to a subway/metro terminus, hop on the train, and head into the city-center.
7. Politics and social climate. I'm one of those Chardonnay-sipping "limousine liberals" (minus the limousine), the very antithesis of blue-collar heartland conservative. Ideally I'd be able to find like-minded people, and their influence would pace the prevailing local values.
8. Dating opportunities. I'm single and looking. And child-free.

Let the proffering of advice (and criticisms of my shallowness and impracticality) begin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Seattle will give you a good deal of your wish list.

Russians in Seattle: Who Are They? | Russian in Seattle

Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Seattle area does seem to be a good fit. We do get down as low as 20F sometimes in winter but not that often, and rarely over 85 in summer. As long as you can deal with not seeing the sun for a month at a time and constant light rain everything else on your list is here.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Actually, the perfect place for you, the one place that hits every one of your criteria (except mass transit), is just a few miles north of me in Sunny Isles. In fact, it has been known for decades in the Miami community as Little Moscow.

South Florida’s Little Moscow has lots to offer - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Russian community flourishes in South Florida - Sun Sentinel

As a matter of fact, Miami Beach is becomin known as the Russian Riviera.

Miami, Not Just Sunny Isles, Is Becoming The Russian Riviera - Russian Billionaire Power Hour - Curbed Miami

Why Miami Is Becoming the 'Russian Riviera'

Here's a a little three-minute video all about the Russian population in Sunny Isles.

"Little Moscow" - YouTube

And here's a 48-second video on what Sunny Isles itself looks like.

Sunny Isles - Miami - YouTube

Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Let the proffering of advice (and criticisms of my shallowness and impracticality) begin!
Since you brought it up...

It's extremely rude to create a thread seeking advice and assistance and then not bother to at the very least acknowledge those who've attempted to assist you by providing answers to your questions.

BTW, you're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement