Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these services are worth spending part of your retirement income on?
Monitored home security system 20 20.83%
Monitored personal assistance (such as Life Alert, etc) 10 10.42%
"Pay" tv (cable, satellite or DSL rather than via roof antenna) 49 51.04%
Premium movie channel(s), Netflix, or similar subscription 24 25.00%
Home cleaning service 32 33.33%
Broadband internet connection 81 84.38%
Smartphone/data plan 36 37.50%
Termite and/or other pest control system or service contract 27 28.13%
AAA or similar roadside assistance program 60 62.50%
Lawn mowing service 40 41.67%
Other lawn/yard services (fertilizer plan, weed control plan, insect control plan) 24 25.00%
Other regular/recurring paid service not listed 10 10.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,838,163 times

Advertisements

Interesting responses indeed... curious if anyone retirement age knows how to grab torrents via internet for their tv needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Interesting responses indeed... curious if anyone retirement age knows how to grab torrents via internet for their tv needs.
I was busted for doing that.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,507,029 times
Quote:
Trick question.

Torrent file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

torrents | your torrent search

Old 03-28-2014, 08:42 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Biscuitmom could you elaborate on why it's a waste of money? Also, may I ask how much it is?
I honestly don't remember posting that. In my MIL's case the Life Alert was a waste because when she fell, she became so upset and agitated that she forgot to use it. This was when she was still living in her house and her mental acuity was otherwise decent. She had several minor falls that resulted in no injury but she was unable to get up.

Her situation of course doesn't apply to everyone; certainly they're useful for many.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:20 AM

508 posts, read 661,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, but you pay (or used to pay) for Netflix. Wouldn't that be analogous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm familiar with Netflix; in fact, we watched a documentary last night that was streamed directly to our SmartTV from Netflix. But don't undersell, HBO & Showtime; they are much more than pay-for-movie channels (which is why we pay for them in addition to paying for a Netflix subscription).

But the point is, we're talking about what services one would pay for. Subscribing to Netflix is paying for the same service that one pays for when one subscribes to a premium tv channel. The difference is in the cost for that service, not in the service itself.
Relative expense is germane to the discussion. There is a HUGE difference between paying $8 a month for Netflix and having to pay for cable TV plus the premium fee for HBO or Showtime. The average cost of basic cable plus one premium channel is $60 per month. I have lived places where basic cable plus one premium channel would have cost me $100 per month.

From the point of view of both flexibility and of relative expense, Netflix is nowhere near "analogous" to pay channels on cable.

Now for me, I WILL have internet access no matter what. So, the $8 additional fee to get Netflix is NBD. It's chickenfeed.

However, I have no use for basic cable. So the extra $40 to $80 for basic cable plus another $20 for a premium channel is a complete waste of money.

Its all relative. If you are going to have cable anyway, the extra $20 for a premium channel may be chickenfeed to you, especially if you don't want internet access (which I doubt will be the case for anyone on this forum, but who knows).

Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 AM

508 posts, read 661,858 times
Quote:
Why torrent them when you can watch via any number of online streaming sites?

You can legally watch nearly everything on TV via CBS online etc anyway. Plus you can watch everything eventually via Netflix as well. Some things may take longer to show up streaming on Netflix, but there is so much legal content out there I don't have time to watch it all anyway. I doubt I will die in bitter disappointment if I go before Game of Thrones is streaming on Netflix ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement