Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Lumineers? Veneers? When are you too old for these?

Are these a type of implant?
Lumineers are a type of veneers IIRC. And these things are totally aesthetic - not functional. Don't have a thing to do with implants/tooth replacement. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
At least for an older baby boom person like me - I didn't grow up with fluoridated water - and had a huge number of cavities. Also - braces were very uncommon. My teeth - and those of just about everyone I knew (including my 2 younger brothers) were crooked. Robyn
We had well water when I was growing up, so no flouride for us, either. I had a number of cavities as a kid myself, and no braces. Interesting that I must have passed on my tooth genes in their entirety to my daughter, as her teeth are just like mine, spaces in the same place, with the same slight twist in the same eyetooth as mine, and a crossbite. The orthodontist told us she didn't need braces, but she had to wear these little rubber bands for a while to correct the crossbite, which I never had done. We had well water for the first 8 or so years of her life, then had municipal water ( I assume with the fluoride in it), but she never had a cavity until she was an adult.

My sisters' teeth were just like mine, but my brother's teeth were really crooked and he could have used braces. He didn't get them, though, and I don't think many people did at the time. My mother made sure we had dental care when we were growing up, though. No novocaine or any other pain killers, though, seems they believed drilling out cavities wasn't painful, and they saved the novocaine for tooth extractions.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Nitrous does not knock you out. It merely relaxes you so you don't have a conniption fit.

I know I want the drugs to knock me out. Besides I already had it done. 15 teeth out in one sitting. No way I was going to do that awake in any condition.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
There are all kinds of factors that come into play. Not only the circumstances we live with (like having/not having fluoridated water) - and our lifestyles (ranging from smoking to drinking sugary drinks) - to our preventive care (or lack of it) - but our genetics too. All of my dentists have remarked that my tooth roots are *very* short. Which is almost certainly a genetic thing. None of my grandparents had any remaining teeth post-65. Probably a factor of "all of the above".

But - you know what. If - at age 66 - my biggest health problem is my teeth - I'll live with it. As it turns out - that's not my biggest health problem. Because I have hemorrhoids. Which - in terms of "health" - is a very low level problem (on the level of teeth - not anywhere near heart problems or diabetes or similar). But a yucky problem to deal with nonetheless. So who wants to talk about hemorrhoids (if anyone else is game - I am )? Robyn

Old 04-07-2014, 05:31 PM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Shouldn't it be called an ass-troid?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:39 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
I looked at dental only plans last night on line. There was ONE in my geographic area that partially covered crowns and root canals, with a $1000 max per year, and covered your basic clean and check, and part of x-ray costs. Interestingly, it was less expensive than the dental plan I pay $30 per month for at work, with slightly better benefits (ie no deductible). Unfortunately, the providers in my area who will accept it are not places I would want to get dental care......so back to the drawing board. Will keep looking. If anyone finds a decent individual (not employer) dental plan, please let me know, okay? I wont be able to keep working forever, but I do plan on having my teeth, LOL!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
There are all kinds of factors that come into play. Not only the circumstances we live with (like having/not having fluoridated water) - and our lifestyles (ranging from smoking to drinking sugary drinks) - to our preventive care (or lack of it) - but our genetics too. All of my dentists have remarked that my tooth roots are *very* short. Which is almost certainly a genetic thing. None of my grandparents had any remaining teeth post-65. Probably a factor of "all of the above".

But - you know what. If - at age 66 - my biggest health problem is my teeth - I'll live with it. As it turns out - that's not my biggest health problem. Because I have hemorrhoids. Which - in terms of "health" - is a very low level problem (on the level of teeth - not anywhere near heart problems or diabetes or similar). But a yucky problem to deal with nonetheless. So who wants to talk about hemorrhoids (if anyone else is game - I am )? Robyn
Puts me in mind of an old joke about which part of the body is the boss........

Seriously, what I would be most concerned with, dental wise, is periodontal diseases/gum infections, because those are some bad bugs involved in those infections that can spread into the bloodstream from the infected gums, and cause endocarditis, pericarditis, and even joint infections sometimes.

But I guess like your teeth issues, treatment of hemorrhoids can involve a variety of choices, from over the counter products, to surgery......

Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I looked at dental only plans last night on line. There was ONE in my geographic area that partially covered crowns and root canals, with a $1000 max per year, and covered your basic clean and check, and part of x-ray costs. Interestingly, it was less expensive than the dental plan I pay $30 per month for at work, with slightly better benefits (ie no deductible). Unfortunately, the providers in my area who will accept it are not places I would want to get dental care......so back to the drawing board. Will keep looking. If anyone finds a decent individual (not employer) dental plan, please let me know, okay? I wont be able to keep working forever, but I do plan on having my teeth, LOL!!!
Have you seen this site? Looks like these are basically dental discount plans, not insurance plans. There are a number of such plans listed on this site, with an option to view the details of each plan, the annual costs ( seem to be about $100 annually, give or take depending on the plan). You can search for the availability of each plan in your area, and dentists that accept each plan (ie, will charge the discount price for each procedure) by putting in your zip code.

Comparing these plans with dental insurance, I think the discount plans offer a viable option. Especially considering that most dental plans- only cover perhaps 50% of the cost of work like crowns, root canals, dentures, etc, and probably won't even cover implants. And as you mention, many of them also have annual maximum amounts in the ranges of $1000-$2000.

So either way the patient has significant out of pocket expenses, and the discount plans' annual membership fees are less than the annual premiums of the dental insurance plans.

Dental Plans | Affordable Dental Insurance Alternatives | 30+ Top Plans

Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
DH called an insurance rep to complain about the lack of coverage on this present plan. He was told that there was not much out there that would cover implants. He was advised to look for plans in our area next year. I know he will do that! But I am not optimistic.

When we were employed, we had good dental insurance. And for awhile, as retirees we had pretty good dental insurance, but now apparently we can't get it. And of course, now is when we need it the most. But even at best there was a cap on how much the insurance would pay per year.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I know I want the drugs to knock me out. Besides I already had it done. 15 teeth out in one sitting. No way I was going to do that awake in any condition.
Ei yi yi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement