Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 04:29 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
The reason for the removable is that the doctor explained that I would have to floss under the teeth and since I never liked nor did floss I found that quite enlightening. Thoughts? Answers?
Following my hysterectomy 14 years ago I developed rapidly progressing periodontal disease and had it treated with very expensive laser periodontal surgery which was a relatively new procedure at that time. But for the results to remain permanent I had to develop a love for flossing, and with my very tight spaced teeth this can be several times a day process because those tight spaces trap food. For whatever reason when I am unable to floss I use a waterpik, and I have two and one is a portable battery operated one which I take to work and is small enough to fit in my pocketbook and I use it daily after lunch. Honestly I think the waterpik does a better job cleaning between my teeth and along the gum line than flossing, and when I do both I am shocked to see the food particles that are flushed out the were not removed by flossing.

Might want to ask your dentist about the use of a waterpik to compliment or replace flossing if you would prefer the permanent bridge over the removable one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As a federal employee or retiree, you don't need to rely on your BCBS health insurance plan for dental coverage; you're eligible to purchase dental insurance under the BENEFEDS FEDVIP program. And it doesn't matter if your dentist accepts the insurance or not, your FEDVIP plan will reimburse you directly if your dentist doesn't accept the insurance. Now, admittedly, the reimbursement will be at a lower percentage rate if you go to an out-of-network dentist, but you'll still have coverage that is far superior to the miniscule amount provided by BCBS. Here's some info on all of the available plans in case you aren't familiar with the program:

https://www.benefeds.com/Portal/Educ...piccarrierinfo

https://www.benefeds.com/
I had that last year and did NOT carry it into retirement.

Worthless! Paid a grand total of $56 dollars the entire year, and yes, I used THEIR listed dentists!

Old 03-04-2018, 06:28 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
To anyone here who has implants my questions are for you. Upper or lower? If upper did you have a permanent bridge installed or a removable one? The reasons you went with your choice and are you happy with the results?

I will explain so that anyone that isn't in my situation don't need to reply. I have a partial lower and a full upper denture. I had been considering having implants in my lower jaw. Doctors say I have a good jaw for it and recommend 4 implants and 6 teeth. 4 in a bridge and two teeth on separate implants. But after talking to the doctor about it and what I would be looking for in my upper jaw I have changed my mind. I am going to get a new partial to replace the current one and I am thinking I want to do my upper jaw to eliminate the palate of the denture. I am leaning towards removable bridge on 4 implants or 6 based on recommendations. The reason for the removable is that the doctor explained that I would have to floss under the teeth and since I never liked nor did floss I found that quite enlightening. Thoughts? Answers?
Can't help with your choice but I do have something to say about flossing. I never could do it because I always had problems getting the thread to fit between the teeth, and then would force it and it would always snap through and cut into my gums. About 10 years ago, I got a Waterpik flosser. Have been using it once a day ever since. All of my cleanings since then have been an absolute breeze. No more pain, scrapings, etc during a cleaning like I used to have. The Waterpik is so easy. Not like flossing at all.

I am someone who has always had dental issues. Most of my teeth have crowns, some have been in there for 20 or 30 years. But I have also lost 10 teeth. If I could have the money spent on my mouth since childhood, I could pay for full implants 3 times over.

Something else to think about. If you get the removable kind, you will probably have to remove them after each meal to rinse your mouth and rinse the teeth. If you go out to restaurants a lot, that could become awkward. I had that problem with an upper, removable partial (that doesn't fit anymore). It was a nice, lightweight thing but rinsing it out in a public restroom was weird.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:04 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
too late for those teeth in my upper. Same problem with me and floss would cut or break going between the teeth. Right now I am fine with the upper full denture but was considering the removable ones over the permanently mounted ones. One because I would leave them on 99% of the time. Now I take the uppers out at bed time. I would probably take them out more to clean them during the day as now I don't because I use powder to keep them secure.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
I just had an implant pulled, it lasted 15 years. Retired fed, I have dental insurance through BENEFEDS FEDVIP program. Pay $40 a month, pays about 50% of charges for dental work.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I had that last year and did NOT carry it into retirement.

Worthless! Paid a grand total of $56 dollars the entire year, and yes, I used THEIR listed dentists!
Not always. I selected BC/BS dental the first year and it paid very little (reimbursed actually, because my dentists doesn't accept any insurance plan); however, I switched to GEHA for this year and it already paid $337 on a $1200 crown that I just got. The premiums are a little lower too, so I'm very happy I switched.

At age 67, I still have all my teeth, including my wisdom teeth and a baby tooth too!

Old 03-05-2018, 10:31 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I just had an implant pulled, it lasted 15 years. Retired fed, I have dental insurance through BENEFEDS FEDVIP program. Pay $40 a month, pays about 50% of charges for dental work.
Yikes! Would you share why it had to be pulled/removed? I would think they should last longer than 15 years.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:40 AM

107 posts, read 85,769 times
Husband hurt himself at age 20. They believe he's had a slight infection in his mouth way under the gums ever since. He just had skin grafting and some other work done- $1500 worth of dental work which we paid 20% of...which was $300
I've had bad teeth for a while. My feeling is it was due to stress (mostly by parents) as they were perfect for so long then it all went to pot. Other health issues arose but we've moved now so it's all gone

I paid $1000 and got $3000 worth of work done. So total was $4500 worth of work for $1300. Dental insurance is up to 2k per yr.

Though I cannot see this ever happening again, it all fell about the same time.
This is just one reason why working a 24 hr shift once a week until I drop dead is...well worth it

Old 03-05-2018, 10:45 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
When I got it, there was a brochure to read that explained this. There was absolutely no deception at all. Maybe some people didn't bother to read the information provided, or (to give them the benefit of the doubt) maybe they never received the information.

What you said about having to pay it off in full is true. It's exactly what I said in my post. If it were not for Care Credit I wouldn't be able to pay the dental bills.
Same for me. Recently had a crown done and it was $788. This is small-town American, though, so I would imagine it might be more in bigger places.

As for the deception....yeah, some people just don't read stuff. Then they want to blame someone else.

Tip on Care Credit....do NOT just pay the minimum payment, or you will find yourself at the end with a bigger chunk to pay off all at once, in order to beat the "no interest" period ending date. Divide the amount charged by the number of months you have been given for "no interest" and send that instead. It will be more than the minimum payment.

I didn't have time to read all the replies, so pardon me if this has already been said. Just wanted to make sure you knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement