U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:21 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,145,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
...when I realized the World Series pitchers were too young for me to have a crush on 'em...
Ah, come on... you're never too old to have a crush on 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,994,760 times
Some days I feel like I'm 100 years old other days I feel 30ish, my main problem is sometimes my body can't keep up with what my mind wants me to do. Use to be albe to do my hobbies all day long, now my back hurts if I attempt it longer than a few hours. But I'm working on improving my muscle tone, hoping that some day soon when I wave at a person my under arm wings won't try and lift me off the ground

Old 12-10-2007, 01:05 PM
TCK

167 posts, read 519,008 times
Smile Its good to hear this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Most of us in this forum are getting up there in age. The thing I find kind of odd is that most of the time I don't feel old yet. I don't know at what point a person starts to feel like they are old. I've been a grandma for 11 years now.

There are a few days when I may feel like I'm getting older. My fingers start to feel a little stiff when I am typing but that all. Do any of you feel old? How old were you when this started to happen?

Perhaps I'll feel old when I start drawing S.S
Its good to hear this from others too. I feel 18. I tell my kids this and they look at me like I am nuts. Its all fresh and exciting with my spirt....but sometimes when driving and I stop at a light and look down at my arms or hands.....it hits me. Sometimes I think it would be kinder to slowly age inside as you are outside. But knowing what I know now, the stuff I have been through....makes living and being creative such a breeze. I wish I was not so stuck on looks, money, and what others thoughts when I was younger.

Sometimes I look in the mirror and the only thing I recognize is the smile...it is still there!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
very funny poem, keeper. I forwarded it to a couple of my friends.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 AM

13,323 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Regarding the cute boys who pitch in the World Series, you're right- I reserve the right to have a crush on Jonathan Papelbon. Ya can't blame a girl for looking...

Old 12-11-2007, 03:56 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,081,348 times
I realized I was getting older when I seen some of my favorite sports figures SONS playing pro sports. And the only time I wanted to rassle twice with the wife was right before the first rassling match.
I'm 60 and in relatively good shape for the shape I'm in I guess. Raised 6 kids and have 7 grandkids. I did started feeling a little younger after the kids left the nest. Don't tell them I said that though. The grandkids can't believe I actually used to have to get up off the couch to go change the channels on the TV. All three of them. Channels, I mean. We couldn't afford 3 TVs.
I bought a new motorcycle this past summer. Took the safety course and put over 1100 miles on it in 2 months. Had one years ago and enjoyed it. So I figured I might as well do what I enjoy while I'm able to do it. I do some remodeling around the house and work part time at a machine shop. I retired from my 30 year job as a diesel mechanic and tinker around in my garage with cars and stuff. I have to stay busy. It seems to slow down the aging process a little bit. I'm not going to become welded to the couch as long as my health permits me to do things. I know I'm only going to live once. We never know how long we have left. Life is not guaranteed even for the young. I am going to try to LIVE what time I have left for as long as I can. Sixty isn't all that old anymore but it's way past halfway. Might as well make the most of it.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:55 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
my main problem is sometimes my body can't keep up with what my mind wants me to do.
I'm noticing the same problem lately. I think I've typed something, and then when I go back and read it later I see I've left off letters and entire words. Sometimes several words.

Up until a few years ago, I did most of the business documents for our company myself and proofread them myself. Now I have an assistant handle it.

Not a big deal... I can still type accurately if I go much more slowly and then proof read everything twice. But this has slowed me down.

And I'm still getting crushes, too... but I like the soccer players!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:21 PM

13,573 posts, read 21,724,553 times
Age is only a mirror imge..That is my motto..I don't pay much attention to my age unless I pass a mirror and wonder who that ole lady is..I raised 4 kids and 5 of nine grandchildren..In fact I just said on the grandparents forum that I am going through the empty nest syndrom now..I have always had at least one of my three daughters and their children living with me..That kept me busy from the time I got up in the morning until the last dish was washed and the last load of clothes were folded. late into the night...I have become lazy since they left a few months ago...I feel lost and have gained some weight ( because I am addicted to cd) I never had time to use the computer before except to do my banking and a little shopping..My oldest grandchild will be 25 in a couple of days...Seems like yesterday that I cried at the miracle of his birth..

Old 12-12-2007, 07:31 PM

240 posts, read 351,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I will be 61 y.o. next week and another birthday doesn't really trigger feelings of getting old. In fact traditional societal markers, i.e. cliches like "women get depressed when they hit 30 and men get depressed when they hit 40", have never bothered me.

My feelings of being old are clearly linked to functional capacity. I used to get my firewood chopped, split and stacked in one fourteen hour day. Now it takes me fourteen one hour days. The only time my knees don't bother me is when my back hurts so bad it distracts me.

Brightdoglover said:
I have noticed this too, but it is because routine tasks take longer. As my physical capacity diminishes, picking up the mail becomes some kind of an accomplishment. Now, I don't want to sound melodramatic because my health isn't really that bad compared to many others, but that is the thing that most generates feelings of getting old. When I do get a pain-free day, I feel young again and I do all the things that made me happy in my prime.
Unfortunately the next three days, my body screams, "you are old". I guess it goes back to the old saying, "Some people treat their body like a temple.....I treated mine like an amusement park".
I like the part "The only time my knees don't bother me is when my back hurts so bad it distracts me." LOL, killing me I see that your sense humor is young and active, that keeps you young forever.

Last edited by bingo08; 12-12-2007 at 07:41 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 PM

240 posts, read 351,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Age is only a mirror imge..That is my motto..I don't pay much attention to my age unless I pass a mirror and wonder who that ole lady is..I raised 4 kids and 5 of nine grandchildren..In fact I just said on the grandparents forum that I am going through the empty nest syndrom now..I have always had at least one of my three daughters and their children living with me..That kept me busy from the time I got up in the morning until the last dish was washed and the last load of clothes were folded. late into the night...I have become lazy since they left a few months ago...I feel lost and have gained some weight ( because I am addicted to cd) I never had time to use the computer before except to do my banking and a little shopping..My oldest grandchild will be 25 in a couple of days...Seems like yesterday that I cried at the miracle of his birth..
Nice post. You have left a great deal of memories and your mark on your family. Lots to be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement