Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:49 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Do any of you feel old? How old were you when this started to happen?
I thought of this thread when I was grocery shopping yesterday. First you need to know that I am 6 foot tall, weigh 240 lbs, and used to work as a bouncer in a bar. At the checkstand, the nineteen year old, 95 pound, female grocery bagger says to me, "Would you like help out with your bags?" I felt older when I left the store than I did when I walked in.

PS I did tell her, "If I fall down in the parking lot and the cart flips over and lands on me, I'll yell for you". At least we both had a good laugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 12:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
I was getting to feel old a couple yrs ago when I lost 4 of my best friends (all over 80). I really admire the older couples, and their care and commitment to us young buckaroos and to each other (+ playing Yahtzee every night together / joking teasing but caring for each other).

We started doing 'senior care' for home school projects ~ 20 yrs ago, and have aged with the best of them. Soon we'll be our own 'customer'

These relationships have given me a major amount of vitality and hope, even as I sat for nights in hospice cuz their own kids couldn't handle it. It was a privilege of care, and I fully understand the kid's side too. These couples helped us with many 'growing-up issues' of being over 50. I may have to give up my peer age friends to their busy-ness, but never my ole timers. What a wealth of knowledge and fun. I often leave their homes laughing and feeling much better. I got "demoted" at work because I chose to fulfill a commitment to a senior couple rather than go to a 'diversity' training course that was scheduled Off-Shift...(during the reign of the "most powerful woman" in America...) ha-ha... I wouldn't have it any other way, tho it cost me dearly financially. (money ain't everything...)

You know you're getting older when you request to 'man the phones' for Public Broadcasting during Lawrence Welk !!! That is a blast, talking to all the old folks about the cast you met when you were a kid! And I've gained quite an appreciation for the talent of the costume coordinator, as well as the quality and skill of the musicians... They don't make them like that anymore!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:07 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Here, here, for the age-older but-young-at-heart group!
That would be me. Now I'm thinking I may never feel old.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Older-physically at times yes, mentally no. All I want to know is how come yesterday I was 30 and today I'm early 60's!!!! Aging isn't for sissies-so they say.
I agree 100%!!! I feel very young inside, but geez, when I look in the mirror!!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:25 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
I feel the same on the inside as I always did, same quirks and attitudes. Sometimes when I see myself, though, I think WHO IS THAT ?

Old 12-09-2007, 01:50 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,256,741 times
My 89 year old mother says she still feels like the 20 year old she used to be, even tho she doesn't look like that anymore and can't do a lot of the things she used to love. But she still lives independently, has her wits, and her eye doctor says the problem with her is she is so darn healthy! I'm just hoping I inherited those genes. Life is great so long as we can keep our health

Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
Talking Strange old lady living in my house

A Strange Old Lady

A very weird thing has happened.
A strange old lady has moved into my house.
I have no idea who she is, where she came from, or how she got in.

I certainly didn't invite her.
All I know is that one day she wasn't there, and the next day she was.
She's very clever. She manages to keep out of sight for the most part;
but whenever I pass a mirror, I catch a glimpse of her there; and when
I look into a mirror directly to check my appearance, suddenly she's hogging the whole thing, completely obliterating my gorgeous face and body. It's very disconcerting.

I've tried screaming at her to leave but she just screams back, grimacing horribly.
She's really rather frightening. If she's going to hang around, the least she could do is offer to pay rent.
But no! Every once in a while I do find a couple of dollar bills on the kitchen counter, or some loose change on my bureau or on the floor, but that certainly isn't enough.
In fact, though I don't like to jump to conclusions, I think she steals money from me regularly.

I go to the ATM and withdraw a hundred dollars, and a few days later, it's gone. I certainly don't go through it that fast, so I can only conclude that the old lady pilfers it.
You'd think she's spend some of it on wrinkle cream. God knows, she needs it.
And, the money isn't the only thing she's taking.

Food seems to disappear at an alarming rate. Especially the good stuff, ice cream, cookies, candy.
I just can't keep them in the house. She really has a sweet tooth.
She should watch it; she's really putting on the pounds.
I think she realizes that, and to make herself feel better,
I know she is tampering with my scale so I'll think that I'm gaining weight, too.

For an old lady, she's really quite childish.
She also gets into my closets when I'm not home and alters all my clothes.
They're getting tighter every day.
Another thing: I wish she'd stop messing with my files and the papers on my desk.
I can't find a thing any more. This is particularly hard to deal with because
I'm extremely neat and organized; but she manages to jumble
everything up so nothing is where it's supposed to be.

Furthermore, when I program my VCR to tape something important,
she fiddles with it after I leave the room so it records the wrong channel or shuts off completely.
She finds innumerable, imaginative ways to irritate me.
She gets to my newspapers, magazines and mail before me and blurs all the print;
and she's done something sinister with the volume controls on my TV, radio, and phone. Now all I hear are mumbles and whispers.
She's also made my stairs steeper, my vacuum cleaner heavier, all my knobs and faucets hard to turn and my bed higher and a real challenge
to climb into and out of.
Furthermore, she gets to my groceries as soon as I shelve them
and applies super glue to the tops of every jar and bottle so they're
just about impossible to open.
Is this any way to repay my hospitality?

I don't even get any respite at night.
More than once her snoring has awakened me.
I don't know why she can't do something about that.
It's very unattractive.
As if all this isn't bad enough, she is no longer confining
her malevolence to the house.
She's now found a way to sneak into my car with me and follow me wherever I go.

I see her reflection in store windows as I pass,
and she's taken all the fun out of clothes shopping because her
penchant for monopolizing mirrors has extended to dressing rooms.
When I try something on, she dons an identical
outfit, which looks ridiculous on her and then stands directly in front of me
so I can't see how great it looks on me.

I thought she couldn't get any meaner than that, but yesterday she proved me wrong.
She had the nerve to come with me when I went to have some passport pictures taken,
and she actually stepped in front of the camera just as the shutter clicked.
Disaster! I have never seen such a terrible picture.
How can I go abroad now? No customs official is ever going to believe that old crone
scowling from my passport is me.

She's walking on very thin ice.
If she keeps this up, I swear, I'll put her in a home.
On second thought, I shouldn't be too hasty.
First, I think I'll check with the IRS and see if I can claim her as a dependent.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Keeper; 12-10-2007 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: edited

Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
If I don't look in the mirror, and I do it infrequently, I feel about thirty years old.

But today I had to get up early, drag out the trash on a wet, icy, slick, uphill path to the rural road I live on, and said to myself, "will I be able to do this in five years."

I laughed at myself walking back down, with an open jacket, and mountain boots, but I suppose as long as I can do it, I'll be thirty inside.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:48 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Do any of you feel old? How old were you when this started to happen?
24 - The kid at the supermarket checkout called me m'am.

----------------------------------------------------

Would you like to laugh, today on this aging topic?

Hit the play button and make sure you have your volume turned on, on your computer. The website is a newspaper (Newsday) website:

Walt Handelsman (http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/opinion/walthandelsman/blog/2007/11/animation_baby_boomers.html - broken link)

Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
...when I realized the World Series pitchers were too young for me to have a crush on 'em...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement