Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,747 times

Advertisements

craftysixty

Just joined today. Looking forward to good discussions and learning new things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Most of us in this forum are getting up there in age. The thing I find kind of odd is that most of the time I don't feel old yet. I don't know at what point a person starts to feel like they are old. I've been a grandma for 11 years now.

There are a few days when I may feel like I'm getting older. My fingers start to feel a little stiff when I am typing but that all. Do any of you feel old? How old were you when this started to happen?

Perhaps I'll feel old when I start drawing S.S
I felt old when I was 24 and the supermarket cashier called me ma'am.

The next time I felt old was on my 50th birthday, the exact day when I received something in the mail from AARP. Die AARP, die!

The next time I felt old was when I realized that first white eyebrow hair wasn't platinum blonde after all.

I feel old when I'm standing on line at the supermarket and I don't know anyone on the magazine covers so I don't care if they're in rehab for the 6th time.

I feel really old when I'm surveyed or polled online and the thing ends abruptly as soon as they find out how old I am. It's like "We don't care what movies you like, which TV shows you watch, what you think about some issue, what you buy when you go shopping, geezerlady."

I feel old when I have to move my glasses up on top of my head to read a book, don't go to church because I can't kneel down, don't do "carry-on luggage" because I can't lift a suitcase over my head to put in the overhead compartment...well, that last one might also be because I'm short.

I feel really old when things are declared "out" and I never even knew they were "in."

I feel really old when I can sing the theme songs to TV shows from the 50s but don't watch the Grammys because I don't know who those people are.

I feel old when I'm arguing with some twenty-something know-it-all (that still lives in his parent's basement) in the C-D political forum because I remember what Jimmy Carter did. I didn't read about it in some stinkin' history book or on somebody's blog.

I feel really old when the green people are arguing about SUVs because of gasoline and instead I think, "What teenaged boy wants to pick up his date in a vehicle that looks like the bus that used to pick up the 'handicapped kids' when we were in grade school? When did cool little sportscars go out of style? I must have missed the memo."

Other than that, I blame everything, on being out of shape, not on age. People say, "You look much younger than your age," and I say, "If you are fat, you don't get wrinkles." Then I puff out my mouth to prove "no lines."

I'm 57.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Unhappy 2 old 4 cards

Today I was in Hallmark cards and they had these musical cards based on your year of birth. Well, you guessed it. They did not go back far enough for my birth year. How depressing is that ?

2old4acard

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Default Ha Ha Ha

Why do I find this so funny? I'm sure they wouldn't have mine either - perhaps they think we're too old to enjoy such things?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,702 times
Cool Now !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Most of us in this forum are getting up there in age. The thing I find kind of odd is that most of the time I don't feel old yet. I don't know at what point a person starts to feel like they are old. I've been a grandma for 11 years now.

There are a few days when I may feel like I'm getting older. My fingers start to feel a little stiff when I am typing but that all. Do any of you feel old? How old were you when this started to happen?

Perhaps I'll feel old when I start drawing S.S
When I turned 70, in 2008, I realized........ OMG that's OLD The good news is ...... I don't look it ..... but the bad news is, sometimes I feel my age

Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
60 for me is a culmination, I believe. I've lived with constant pain (no, not my wife. Behave!) for the last 30 or so years and just put up with it and/or ignored it.

It finally started affecting what I can do and that is the change that bothers me. Last summer I moved slower getting things done and took longer breaks. I could not believe how difficult it was moving 4 tons of gravel. A few years ago I would finished in a day. Last year I worked on it for a week and never finished it myself. A couple of youngsters working across the street watched me for a while and came over. They did the last of it and I appreciated it greatly. That brought home my age and condition.

So a month later my wife is checking her blood pressure and I decided to do mine since it had been awhile. 165 over 92. I thought it was a bit unusual, especially for me - the guy who has it checked twice because the nurse won't believe I still have the BP of a 17 year old. My wife totally freaked. As did the nurse at the doctors office when I called.

This is weird because in October of 2007 I had to have a physical for LTC and I'm hitting perfect on all the items.

I get to the doctors and I find out my Cholesterol also sucks.

I figured it out, though. I turned sixty and something inside me just quit working...

So now I'm fighting BP drugs that make me a zombie and give me a dry cough. Got back on Celebrex and it doesn't seem to be any better than 4 Aleve a day, darn it!

I'm the baby of the family and when I told my sister all this she just smiled and said welcome to the family!

But my list for next spring and summer is as long as ever. I'm replacing all the bushes out front, pulling and replacing at least 4 fence posts, doing a huge amount of evergreen trimming, replacing trim around the garage door, and finishing about 100 feet of edging. Then I need to recon the next batch to do.

I may feel old, but I'm not!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Default Q!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
60 for me is a culmination, I believe. I've lived with constant pain (no, not my wife. Behave!) for the last 30 or so years and just put up with it and/or ignored it.

It finally started affecting what I can do and that is the change that bothers me. Last summer I moved slower getting things done and took longer breaks. I could not believe how difficult it was moving 4 tons of gravel. A few years ago I would finished in a day. Last year I worked on it for a week and never finished it myself. A couple of youngsters working across the street watched me for a while and came over. They did the last of it and I appreciated it greatly. That brought home my age and condition.

So a month later my wife is checking her blood pressure and I decided to do mine since it had been awhile. 165 over 92. I thought it was a bit unusual, especially for me - the guy who has it checked twice because the nurse won't believe I still have the BP of a 17 year old. My wife totally freaked. As did the nurse at the doctors office when I called.

This is weird because in October of 2007 I had to have a physical for LTC and I'm hitting perfect on all the items.

I get to the doctors and I find out my Cholesterol also sucks.

I figured it out, though. I turned sixty and something inside me just quit working...

So now I'm fighting BP drugs that make me a zombie and give me a dry cough. Got back on Celebrex and it doesn't seem to be any better than 4 Aleve a day, darn it!

I'm the baby of the family and when I told my sister all this she just smiled and said welcome to the family!

But my list for next spring and summer is as long as ever. I'm replacing all the bushes out front, pulling and replacing at least 4 fence posts, doing a huge amount of evergreen trimming, replacing trim around the garage door, and finishing about 100 feet of edging. Then I need to recon the next batch to do.

I may feel old, but I'm not!
If you have a dry cough from your BP meds - get them changed. Several years ago I was put on BP meds and I started having the dry cough - this irritates your throat, esophogus, etc... My voice went from normal to a rough, raspy sound - ick!! Friends would give me a double-take - like HUH? It took a long time to recover from that once I started using a different med. There are still times when that old raspy sound will come out - too much talking or just normal dry throat.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I feel old now that the college girls (where I work) look like babies, and the ladies in their fifties and sixties look terrific.

Getting old is good. And you meet much more interesting people!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
If you have a dry cough from your BP meds - get them changed. Several years ago I was put on BP meds and I started having the dry cough - this irritates your throat, esophogus, etc... My voice went from normal to a rough, raspy sound - ick!! Friends would give me a double-take - like HUH? It took a long time to recover from that once I started using a different med. There are still times when that old raspy sound will come out - too much talking or just normal dry throat.
I appreciate the warning. My doc pulled the meds 2 weeks ago and I'm going in tomorrow for a checkup (he's going to freak when sees my BP!) and switch me to something else.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM

Default I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I feel old now that the college girls (where I work) look like babies, and the ladies in their fifties and sixties look terrific.

Getting old is good. And you meet much more interesting people!!!!
Great post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement