U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 AM

1,848 posts, read 6,247,204 times

Advertisements

Most of us in this forum are getting up there in age. The thing I find kind of odd is that most of the time I don't feel old yet. I don't know at what point a person starts to feel like they are old. I've been a grandma for 11 years now.

There are a few days when I may feel like I'm getting older. My fingers start to feel a little stiff when I am typing but that all. Do any of you feel old? How old were you when this started to happen?

Perhaps I'll feel old when I start drawing S.S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM

13,312 posts, read 25,542,533 times
My father said he didn't feel old at 79 (following his one and only heart attack) but for some reason he felt old at 80. I think it's because his ex-wife died and he started thinking about death for the first time since the Battle of the Bulge.
Me, I don't feel "old" at 54, although I do note various physical deteriorations. For me, I notice age as time passes faster and faster, and when I do any financial calculations, like "what year will the mortgage be paid off" or "How much money should I save per year if I hope to retire" and so on.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,612,405 times
Older-physically at times yes, mentally no. All I want to know is how come yesterday I was 30 and today I'm early 60's!!!! Aging isn't for sissies-so they say.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,815,911 times
I've had some problems with arthritis ever since my late 20's, mostly due to sports injuries. But it's really became a nuisance about two years ago. On the plus side, I can now amuse everyone by being able to predict a rainstorm more accurately than the tv weatherman.

Despite my best efforts, I'm becoming fat. On the plus side, my workout at the gym is better than it ever was in my 30's. And I have to be much more careful walking to the gym now. Icy sidewalks and cold winter air never used to bother me. Now, they are becoming real problems. I fell on the ice yesterday and instead of quickly recovering I have a very scary bruise and pain that is bad enough I need to see a doctor today.

I've been spending a lot of time on city-data lately because I'm trying to hand over my business and retire. I need to be here, in case questions come up. But I also need to keep busy so that I won't be tempted to start handling the business again. I've been spending a lot of time on the General US Board... and boy does that make me feel old.

You never realize how much you've learned in life until you spend time with a bunch of college kids who think they know it all. Don't get me wrong, these are smart kids and I enjoy mulling over some of the things they say. But posting there has really made me realize that discernment is a skill you learn slowly. School teaches you a lot, but life teaches you so much more.

Things like buying a house, running businesses, getting cheated by people you thought you could trust, even teaching someone to drive a car give you so much insight that you don't realize you have until you talk to someone who doesn't have it.

And I'm sure this continues... people who are 90 probably listen to me and roll their eyes at how much I still have to learn.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
53 here. I know I'm firmly middle aged but I feel great. I feel better than I did 15 years ago when I went thru a period of injuries. Now, my key is keeping my weight under control, weights and resistance to keep muscles toned, and stretching so I don't get injuries. I love knowing what I know now. I would never want to have to go back and re-learn all those hard lessons. As long as I can keep my health, the age is fine. I do have more aches than I used to, but usually stretching works those out.

But I am planning on downsizing so I don't run into the problem of having to move again in a few years because my property is too much for my older self to take care of.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 AM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
i lil less tolerance for baloney. but i keep eating my daily diet of it to keep some degree of tolerance. too many old guys totally withdraw after retirement and then go ballistic when somebody piles into their brand new car or trespasses and refuses to leave.
not for me thank you.
the good news. elevator music now is all the stuff i like.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:11 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,992,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Older-physically at times yes, mentally no. All I want to know is how come yesterday I was 30 and today I'm early 60's!!!! Aging isn't for sissies-so they say.
I applaud you, I feel the same way. My children are getting old but not me, my grandson will be in double digits next year.

Age is only a number I live by the phrase that

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY --- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
My husband and I OPT NOT.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:33 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,845,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Most of us in this forum are getting up there in age. The thing I find kind of odd is that most of the time I don't feel old yet......... I don't know at what point a person starts to feel like they are old. Do any of you feel old? How old were you when this started to happen?
I will be 61 y.o. next week and another birthday doesn't really trigger feelings of getting old. In fact traditional societal markers, i.e. cliches like "women get depressed when they hit 30 and men get depressed when they hit 40", have never bothered me.

My feelings of being old are clearly linked to functional capacity. I used to get my firewood chopped, split and stacked in one fourteen hour day. Now it takes me fourteen one hour days. The only time my knees don't bother me is when my back hurts so bad it distracts me.

Brightdoglover said:
Quote:
For me, I notice age as time passes faster and faster...
I have noticed this too, but it is because routine tasks take longer. As my physical capacity diminishes, picking up the mail becomes some kind of an accomplishment. Now, I don't want to sound melodramatic because my health isn't really that bad compared to many others, but that is the thing that most generates feelings of getting old. When I do get a pain-free day, I feel young again and I do all the things that made me happy in my prime.
Unfortunately the next three days, my body screams, "you are old". I guess it goes back to the old saying, "Some people treat their body like a temple.....I treated mine like an amusement park".

Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,906,266 times
Rep points for everyone!!

Sometimes I'm astonished by how much I've learned over the years. Lots of hard knocks. The amazing thing is that I have now become the wise one who others listen to and I like it.

I can also get away with things. For instance, my young gorgeous doctor who the nurses tell me they have to bite their tongue not to mention his looks. I just walked right out and told him I think he's gorgeous, and can get away with it because I'm older than he is. There are good things to be said about this stage of life.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,136,226 times
Ha! This is a great thread! Reminds me of a conversation a coworker and I had... to the effect that if we'd known we'd have still be alive at our age, we'd have taken better care of ourselves! However, on the good side, I definitely do not feel old... and am always amazed that I am actually... in year age... as old as I am, although I certainly viewed my age as old until I reached it (don't we all?!?). And, as my Dad, says, you're not old, just older!

Mostly, 'though, I'm certainly not as old as younger people seem to view me! Ugh, that's the one that gets me the most!

Here, here, for the age-older but-young-at-heart group! Reps for all!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-08-2007 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement