Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times

Advertisements

Nobody should have to provide an excuse to carry.

That's why we have the second amendment instead of somebody passing judgment on our excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:51 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Carrying everywhere is no more paranoid than fastening a seatbelt for a simple ride across the neighborhood; practice makes perfect.

Those who carry only for special occasions will not be as skilled at keeping it concealed; they will be seen fidgeting with it, or adjusting it, or feeling it to see if it's still there, etc. It won't become a part of them, they will not be at one with it, as they would with wallet, keys, phone, etc. Habit. Concealment.

Those who carry only for special occasions will not be skilled at accessing it instantly in an emergency, which is exactly when they would need it most. After being attacked, and injured, and suddenly finding yourself in a deadly fight or about to be killed, is no time to have to decide where your EDC gun might or might not be. That's why many who carry also to choose to carry always and everywhere.

Regarding WDW, it's not illegal to carry a handgun into Walt Disney World, or a theater, or convenience store. If detected by owner or authorized representative, and if asked to leave, and if you refuse to leave, then the cops might be called, and if you still haven't left, then you could be arrested for armed trespass in the cop's presence. That's a lot of if's. You really have to ask for it.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Since I can't smack a nasty possum that I trapped in my garage on the head with a shovel, how could I actually shoot a person? I'm thinking that a lot of posters bragging on their armament here have never actually killed a living thing.

There's big difference between being scared/angry enough to think you'd shoot any living thing and actually deliberately doing so. That I told the animal control officer if the neighbor's big black Newfie/lab mix comes after one of my cats again I would kill the dog doesn't mean that I would do it, unless by accident.

I'm not into killing things other than insect pests like fleas, flies, roaches, ticks, etc. It's why I don't hunt, although I do target shoot.
When I lived in the mountains of No. Idaho I had a neighbor who was constantly letting his dog run. It would come to my house, get my dog and run off to another neighbor's house. We were all at between 1/4-1/2 mile apart. Anyway, I got so sick of it that one day when I saw him I grabbed my shotgun and fired it...twice. Not AT him but in the air. He just sat there. lol What I had not thought about, when I did that, was that two shots was a neighborhood signal for "HELP". The owner of the dog showed up and I finally let him have it about letting the dog run. He quit doing it. We all had at least 20 acres for our animals to 'roam' so they didn't need the REST of the forest.

If I were petrified enough to think about killing somebody I'd probably be way too scared to pull the trigger on a gun...or I'd do it reflexively.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Even if my state permitted it I would never open carry. I think it's both foolish and unnecessary. It can challenge some to try something stupid and worst of all, it can alarm many people and make others uncomfortable. It makes no sense to me.
I agree. Sometimes I think they do it as just a "macho" thing but mostly just because they can. Like I said before though, it's really rare to actually see someone open carrying so it still kind of surprises me when I do. I see a few large sheathed knives too but that's even more rare.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Those who carry only for special occasions will not be as skilled at keeping it concealed; they will be seen fidgeting with it, or adjusting it, or feeling it to see if it's still there, etc. It won't become a part of them, they will not be at one with it, as they would with wallet, keys, phone, etc. Habit. Concealment.

Those who carry only for special occasions will not be skilled at accessing it instantly in an emergency, which is exactly when they would need it most. After being attacked, and injured, and suddenly finding yourself in a deadly fight or about to be killed, is no time to have to decide where your EDC gun might or might not be. That's why many who carry also to choose to carry always and everywhere.
I disagree. As previously stated, I carry only when going to cities or places I'm not familiar with. After some 20 years carrying guns professionally, both openly and concealed, if I do carry I and perfectly comfortable with concealed carry, know where my weapon is and can easily and swiftly access it.

Generalizations just don't always work. The word, "some," usually does.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I truly don't understand the lack of reasoning behind that. Many people carry Mace or knives. Do they live in fear? No. It's a form of insurance. You carry insurance on your home and car. You may never use it. But it's there in case you need it.

My FIL is a 63 year old guy who conceal carries. He was a firearms safety instructor. My husband taught me how to shoot. He works offshore and is away from home for weeks at a time. I am a tiny woman, 5'2" and barely 120 pounds. I would be no match for even a small man. I'm glad I know how and have this form of insurance, in case I need it.
My ex was gone for his job for six or seven months a year so, yes, I had a gun at home. Like you, I'm small...5'1" and 'about' 100 lbs. No match for a guy. It's good to know how to protect yourself but I'm guessing you don't feel any need to carry it when you go grocery shopping.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Puzzled as to why the .327 has faded away after a promising start. Lots to like about it, imo. Seem to recall that Smith did chamber a J frame for this round at one time, but then dropped it from their catalog. Ruger does not chamber it in any handgun, not even in their SP 101.
They've had a number of limited runs. recall a Model 60 Ladysmith of about 25 years ago as well as a K-frame chamered in.32 H&R. More recently they've done an airweight version of the Chief's Special and Centennial, both steel and airweight. The older guns generally used the same model designations as the .38 in the Chief's and the K-32 in the K-frame version. They belong in the safe; they're too valuable to carry.

Smith made a really neat item when they had a run of the extended J-frame in .327 magnum. With a 3" bbl. and adj. sights it's a great trail gun. Pine cones and cow pies don't stand a chance. But now it too belongs in the safe instead of a holster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Around town, I pocket carry my Beretta model 21A in .22 cal. 8 rounds of CCI high velocity hollowpoint. When hiking or in the woods, my model 23 .40 Glock.
I have the Beretta in .22 lr; it's a good pocket gun and a nice plinker. Since you can load single shot it's great for shooting in the house with Aguila Colibri or CCI Minicaps. Beretta makes them in .25 as well. It's not a bad round to handload and the semirim is better than the .22 rimfire rim for reliability. But I've never seen one.

Who can say anything bad about a Glock except for the scrunchy trigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I agree. Sometimes I think they do it as just a "macho" thing but mostly just because they can. Like I said before though, it's really rare to actually see someone open carrying so it still kind of surprises me when I do. I see a few large sheathed knives too but that's even more rare.
I was hikng in the Superstition Wilderness in 1989. Without exaggerating I can say that everyone I saw had a gun.

BTW, its not "macho". Intellectuals, both men and women, like to pack and to shoot.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:43 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I was hikng in the Superstition Wilderness in 1989. Without exaggerating I can say that everyone I saw had a gun.
So, after you found the mine, how much gold were you able to carry back? Or did the Apaches take it away from you and hide it again? Lots of interesting tales about that place, but that is another topic.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post

Regarding WDW, it's not illegal to carry a handgun into Walt Disney World, or a theater, or convenience store. If detected by owner or authorized representative, and if asked to leave, and if you refuse to leave, then the cops might be called, and if you still haven't left, then you could be arrested for armed trespass in the cop's presence. That's a lot of if's. You really have to ask for it.
You know you can drive 150 MPH on the interstate and never get stopped or given a summons if nobody sees you.

That is the same analogy you used with carrying concealed.

If you or an off duty police officer gets caught carrying at WDW you will be asked to leave.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They've had a number of limited runs. recall a Model 60 Ladysmith of about 25 years ago as well as a K-frame chamered in.32 H&R. More recently they've done an airweight version of the Chief's Special and Centennial, both steel and airweight. The older guns generally used the same model designations as the .38 in the Chief's and the K-32 in the K-frame version. They belong in the safe; they're too valuable to carry.

Smith made a really neat item when they had a run of the extended J-frame in .327 magnum. With a 3" bbl. and adj. sights it's a great trail gun. Pine cones and cow pies don't stand a chance. But now it too belongs in the safe instead of a holster.

I have the Beretta in .22 lr; it's a good pocket gun and a nice plinker. Since you can load single shot it's great for shooting in the house with Aguila Colibri or CCI Minicaps. Beretta makes them in .25 as well. It's not a bad round to handload and the semirim is better than the .22 rimfire rim for reliability. But I've never seen one.

Who can say anything bad about a Glock except for the scrunchy trigger?

BTW, its not "macho". Intellectuals, both men and women, like to pack and to shoot.
Carrying a gun while hiking in the Superstitions is just good sense. You never know what you'll run into out there but you can be reasonably sure it won't be many two legged creatures. And if you do they are there for the same reason you are, not looking for someone to mug/rob/murder. Not that it can't happen but I'd guess it's pretty rare.

Around here I think it IS a "macho" mind set. Haven't seen even one woman carrying a gun yet. I guess we just aren't "intellectual" enough. I like to shoot and have been since I was age 7. Still don't feel it's necessary to be worrying about protecting myself 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement