Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 PM

332 posts, read 504,764 times

Advertisements

I really can't handle the new-to-me information I am getting from this site.

I have learned that if I don't have an investment portfolio worth $$$$$$$$$, my retirement will be bag-lady style. And if that weren't bad enough, now I have to worry about all these gun-toting geezers???

Stuns me. Truly.

I have not led a sheltered life. Far from it. Victim? Been there. Have the scars. But I do not live in fear.

What is this? The end of days?
And the coupling of Christianity to this gun-fever?
Maybe we atheists are the last pacifists.

Don't tell me America is the greatest nation on earth. Bah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
I really can't handle the new-to-me information I am getting from this site.

I have learned that if I don't have an investment portfolio worth $$$$$$$$$, my retirement will be bag-lady style. And if that weren't bad enough, now I have to worry about all these gun-toting geezers???

Stuns me. Truly.

I have not led a sheltered life. Far from it. Victim? Been there. Have the scars. But I do not live in fear.

What is this? The end of days?
And the coupling of Christianity to this gun-fever?
Maybe we atheists are the last pacifists.

Don't tell me America is the greatest nation on earth. Bah.
Clearly! Gun-toting geezers. Christians tied to gun fever. America found wanting. Yessirree, insults and disparages all around!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:51 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Clearly! Gun-toting geezers. Christians tied to gun fever. America found wanting. Yessirree, insults and disparages all around!
People do look kinda silly tromping around in stores and such wearing their so manly weapons.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Its certainly a consideration as we age and become less physical in strength. We have license for year now and no problem with it than before. license to carry concealed. Never heard of a license person who shot someone not attacking them so far in many years.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its certainly a consideration as we age and become less physical in strength. We have license for year now and no problem with it than before. license to carry concealed. Never heard of a license person who shot someone not attacking them so far in many years.
Really? I can think of a couple right off the bat. AT a 7-11 in Fl and at a theater in CO.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
People do look kinda silly tromping around in stores and such wearing their so manly weapons.
Funny! Have never seen that. Its called a concealed carry permit for a reason.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You haven't? I have.

BTW, I assume you are ready to kill at any time. Like say at a grocery or a movie. Should the occasion arise. Right?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I work for 'evil' Walmart so I see, literally, hundreds of people every day in a very busy store. In my nearly four years there I have seen, maybe, a half dozen open carry guns. It's not like everyone comes in loaded for bear. I often want to ask them why they feel it's necessary to wear the thing but really don't want to get 'the lecture'... There might be a lot more who carry in their pockets, I don't know, but it just makes me wonder why.

But then human beings do tons of things that make me "wonder why". lol

Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Come to Arizona. We have open carry here and anyone who wants to can strap on a gun and 'go public'. Sometimes people make it sound like ALL of us are gun toting fools but not that many really do open carry.

When I lived in Detroit I had a concealed carry permit. I worked just out of downtown proper in a not so good neighborhood, often going to and leaving, in the dark. I never needed it but I DID meet an interesting bunch of people...cops, detectives, numbers runners, prostitutes and pimps! lol One guy who could have passed for Super Fly...remember him?...always walked me to my car, made sure I locked the doors and stayed there till I drove away.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have the 640 hammerless.
Quote:
My usual carry gun is an S&W Model 637, Airweight, shrouded .38 Special +P carried in my left front pocket (I'm left handed). I refer to it as my "belly gun." It's a great little point-shoot pistol and totally reliable. I had the pull adjusted down to about 5.5-6 pounds and put on Pachmayrs for comfort and grip.
I am certainly not trying to start an argument; I am just curious. I assume that people who carry a Model 640 do so because they can draw without snagging the gun in the pocket and spoiling a smooth draw. The lack of an exposed hammer also allows firing through the pocket. Those who carry a 637 do so to have the advantage of shooting single action. Now here is my question. Have either of you considered the Models 638 and 649, the shrouded-hammer Bodyguards that allow both. Why not the Bodyguard that I illustrated above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macchiato1 View Post
Those S&W revolvers are great. Do you guys carry them in your side front pocket?
Use an inside the pocket holster?
I carry them in my front side pocket or side coat pocket, but I do not use any holster. A smaller gun sometimes requires a bit of stitching to keep the gun in its proper position, but these don't require it. The pocket pistol became popular shortly after the invention of the wheellock four hundred years ago. At least, that's when the first legal prohibitions appeared. But it's only been a few years since the invention of the inside pocket holster. I don't see the point.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 04-07-2014 at 02:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement