U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM

29,779 posts, read 34,863,854 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out retirement dreams is one way to make you wonder the meaning of your life and what you with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,018,109 times
An acquaintance of mine calls these types of dreams "unfinished business", or some thoughts along those lines. Feeling like there are some things that you wanted to finish, but didn't. Makes some sense to me. . . .

Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,807,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
several times I've had this dream that I forgot to do a monthly task that would have cost us Federal funding plus total humiliation for me. When panic wakes me up, I am so relieved to be retired.
That type of dream is actually pretty common, though it can be set up in different environments:

Anxiety dreams come in all shapes and sizes -- but whether they take you back to a hated job or the high school hallways, repetitive ones are very common, explains Berkeley-based dream expert Dr. Marcia Emery. But do they serve any purpose -- other than to freak us out?

“I call them ‘lost locker’ dreams,” she says. “You’re back in college, cramming for a final but you can’t find the locker or the textbook or the classroom. Or you’re giving a speech but can’t remember the words. You wake up in a sweat.”

While the dreams can be upsetting, Emery says they definitely serve a function.

“They help you check yourself out,” she says. “Their function is to get you to ask what you’re afraid of, what’s unfinished, where do you feel unprepared. They’re a wake-up call. There’s something that’s unresolved, usually an unresolved emotional problem.

Why our school days haunt our anxiety dreams - The Body Odd

Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM

783 posts, read 893,614 times
I never dream about pre-retirement, but frequently have a recurring nightmare about the ex-wife. I cast her off into the ocean on one of those burning "Viking funeral Pyres" and by the time I get back to my seaside cottage, she is sitting at the kitchen table eating a box of Oreo's!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:51 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I still have waitressing nightmares, and haven't waited on tables since 1979.
I do have bad dreams about my current job, same as waitressing- being overwhelmed with assignments, unable to finish the work, forgetting key things. Same kind of dreams about school- that I cut so many classes I don't even know where they meet and I'll have to go to school for another year (I don't enjoy school). It's such a relief to wake up and realize it's all in the past.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:10 PM

13,659 posts, read 8,573,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
That type of dream is actually pretty common, though it can be set up in different environments:

Anxiety dreams come in all shapes and sizes -- but whether they take you back to a hated job or the high school hallways, repetitive ones are very common, explains Berkeley-based dream expert Dr. Marcia Emery. But do they serve any purpose -- other than to freak us out?

“I call them ‘lost locker’ dreams,” she says. “You’re back in college, cramming for a final but you can’t find the locker or the textbook or the classroom. Or you’re giving a speech but can’t remember the words. You wake up in a sweat.”

While the dreams can be upsetting, Emery says they definitely serve a function.

“They help you check yourself out,” she says. “Their function is to get you to ask what you’re afraid of, what’s unfinished, where do you feel unprepared. They’re a wake-up call. There’s something that’s unresolved, usually an unresolved emotional problem.

Why our school days haunt our anxiety dreams - The Body Odd
Very interesting, and very useful information. Retired 3 years, I still on occasion have work stress related dreams and I also have "can't-find-my-homeroom" high school dreams.
I guess I'm not surprised. Although always a superior employee, I felt a lot of pressure to get the job done. And that was just as true whether I was a business manager or a truck driver. In spite of having my ducks in a row these days, I still pressure myself to get this or that done.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
I have been retired for nine months. I think about work during those periods where I have nothing planned to do.

I liked what I did for the past 22 years but honestly, the company was sold and the culture was toxic.

I think that as long as your are bored, you might idealize how much better it was - you don't remember all th bad things.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I'm about four years away from retirement and I remember everything really well! Just banged my hand up and called in for tonight.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,299,372 times
I spent 30 years in a factory and yes I do have dreams/night mares about it. I have been retired from there 14 years now. When I wake up from the dream I feel very relieved that I'm retired from there.

After retiring I worked for 3 other companies for short periods but I have never dreamed about them.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
I often have dreams where the people worked with are in the dream. Can't say its any more common than other people I have known tho. I think its just common to dream and the people in dream are people you have known well for a number of years. No great mystery as far as I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement