Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times

Advertisements

Hello Matisse12

I am neither ignoring your situation nor your dilemma. I think that this forum offers a lot of help to people who may have arthritis in various forms and my posts support their investigation. I trust that you don't mind.

Companies are obliged to report side effects of any medication however the most recent trial showed that there was no significant or measurable increase in infections with people who take these drugs. However, that is a conversation that should best take place between patient and doctor.

Here is an article and link to that study published in the Journal of the American Medical Assn.
http://arthritis.about.com/b/2011/11...-blockers.htma

Osteoarthritis is currently being investigated for medications which can modulate the condition meaning that there are potentially promising treatments which a Rheumatologist may know about. Here is a link.
Osteoarthritis: can anti-cytokine therapy pla... [Clin Rheumatol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Further investigation revealed in 2006
Successful treatment of inflammatory knee osteoarthritis with tumour necrosis factor blockade -- Grunke and Schulze-Koops 65 (4): 555 -- Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases

I would think that finding the "best doctor" for osteoarthritis may provide a follow up to your situation to determine if the 2006 results were extended to other cases or was a single case.

I have found that finding results to trials can be helpful as well. I would speak with your local University Medical Center and have a chat with them. Sometimes that can lead to people who can help you. I hope that your suffering is limited. I know it hurts and can be very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM

The Mayo Clinic is highly ranked for arthritis. They have a med center in Scottsdale. They are picky about insurance. Frequently many centers will have a consult 2nd opinion service. Another is John Hopkins. A large University Med Center is typically your best bet as they try to stay very current.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Just for clarification one more time. Humira, Enbrel, and Remicade are strictly and only for rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis. They have nothing to do with osteoarthritis which is the most prevalent form of arthritis and which the vast majority of people have and are interested in. (not to diminish those having other types)

One can look at the first page of the following websites to see that: humira.com Enbrel.com Remicade.com

(Those 3 drugs can also be used for other diseases such as colitis and plaque psoriasis)

If drugs and treatments are not yet on the market for osteoarthritis and okayed by the FDA, I fail to see how it helps to spend time being told some drugs and treatments will be available in the future.

Unless one wants to try to become a part of a trial which some people probably do, one just has to wait until drugs and treatments become available after the research and trials have been completed and the process completes. To each his own.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Over the years I've tried many prescription drugs as well as lot of OTC drugs for my arthritis. What works best for me is the OTC pain reliever Move Free Ultra. No side effects and almost complete relief from the arthritis in my knees and feet.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Just for clarification one more time. Humira, Enbrel, and Remicade are strictly and only for rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis. They have nothing to do with osteoarthritis which is the most prevalent form of arthritis and which the vast majority of people have and are interested in. (not to diminish those having other types)

One can look at the first page of the following websites to see that: humira.com Enbrel.com Remicade.com

(Those 3 drugs can also be used for other diseases such as colitis and plaque psoriasis)

If drugs and treatments are not yet on the market for osteoarthritis and okayed by the FDA, I fail to see how it helps to spend time being told some drugs and treatments will be available in the future.

Unless one wants to try to become a part of a trial which some people probably do, one just has to wait until drugs and treatments become available after the research and trials have been completed and the process completes. To each his own.
Well you are allowed to close as many doors for yourself as you wish.

I am talking with others now. The fact remains that these studies may prove useful and as such may have trials or MD's who allowed by the FDA to work with patients who have OA. You will not find those on the web page of any of these medications. You will find (if you OPEN doors) that there are doctors who are allowed to prescribe them for some patients who do have OA. Such was the case when Remicade was allowed to be prescribed for RA as it was originally created for Crohns disease. A good place to start is at a University Medical Center in one's own environment or to call Mayo Clinic or Johns Hopkins.

Many times good and wonderful doctors treat diseases not yet under the drugs official labels. "off label" are common and some bear real fruit.

The early bird still does catch the worm.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Default How's your arthritis?

My arthritis is just fine, thank you very much. Wish I was doing as well.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 1,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I had bad inflammation in my hands and knees working construction for 30+ years. There were weeks where I could barely use a knife to cut through a steak the pain was so bad. I read an article about people using homeopathic cures for their arthritis. I've been using gin soaked raisins and they have significantly improved my arthritis. On a scale of 1-10 I use to be a 2 and now feel like a 8-9 most days. The only time it still really bothers me is when we get those damp,cold rainy spring/fall days and even then it's nothing like it was before. I don't like taking medication if I don't have to,most have to many side effects. For the record I can't stand raisins or gin but I was desperate and willing to try anything.

It took me about 2 weeks to start noticing the difference and it's been 5 years now since I started them. I was away for 3 weeks and forgot to bring them,I could feel the pain returning after the first week and by the second it was worse. Like any medication it doesn't work for everyone but I've had many friends try this and most have had positive results.

Gin Soaked Raisins for Arthritis Home Remedy - The People's Pharmacy®

Edit: It says use 9 raisins a day but I found 12-15 works best for me.
I've been eating gin soaked raisins for a few years, they have really helped me. Must be golden raisins and extra dry London gin, both have anti-inflammatory ingriedents.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:57 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna4070 View Post
I've been eating gin soaked raisins for a few years, they have really helped me. Must be golden raisins and extra dry London gin, both have anti-inflammatory ingriedents.
Sounds good to me. I might as well have a Tom Collins and some raisin bread every day.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I figured I ask this question in this forum, cause there's probably others here that have arthritis. So, what's your experience. How is your arthritis where you live. As I've said before, she suffers from alergies. But her arthritis is giving her a lot of problems lately also. So, any suggestions about where is a good place to live to minimize arthritis? I know Arizona is supposed to be good. Anyone have any other experience, good or bad. I try to plan ahead, and her dad had it pretty bad, so my guess is she is following the same path.
I get a bit creaky when I don't move around enough. And when it is cold and rainy. Good today

Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,375,189 times
No problem since I had both knees replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement