U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 AM

1,926 posts, read 992,839 times

Advertisements

The osteo Bi-Flex I took contained MSM which I believe may have been the therapuetic agent for me. I had a hard time believing the hype about the product but a friend recommended it and it was on sale, so I thought "why not?".

We used a form of MSM in veterinary practice. It would be great if that is the key since it is the shellfish that I can't tolerate.

As to the weather, we are having a big change today back to cold and maybe snow, and I woke of this morning feeling fine after a few days of misery sitting in the 80 degree sunshine. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,456,960 times
AADAD, I would be afraid to take Humira, Embrel, or Remicade because they put a damper on one's immune system leaving your system possibly subject to cancer and infections. (those drugs also are not usually recommended for osteoarthritis)

Of course, I see Phil Mickelson, famous golfer, recommending Humira in frequent TV ads, and it apparently works for now for his psoriatic arthritis, but he has a very specific form of arthritis called psoriatic arthritis and the long term effects of taking Humira on his immune system are unknown, but they are quite risky. The possible side effects of cancer and infections seem pretty radical.

I do not have just aching joints (as you mention) - I have severe debilitating osteoarthritis in my knee where the cartilage is completely gone, and osteoarthritis in other body parts too.

Bextra and Vioxx (which are similar to Celebrex) caused too many heart attacks and heart attack risk, hence they were removed from the market. And the helpfulness of each of the three is/was so little or non-existent that they were not worth risking heart attacks for.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-14-2014 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM

332 posts, read 428,492 times
Years ago I asked my primary if glucosamine chondritin would be beneficial. He told me that there may be some link between that supplement and an increased risk for diabetes. I'm not sure if the more recent studies corroborate that claim. But I decided to not take gc and hadn't thought of that connection again until today.

A cursory glance at some of the studies leads me to believe that the risk is overstated. However, if it were me, I would choose to take only the recommended dose and not amp it up. It looks like the studies that cite high cell death rates in the pancreas used outrageously high doses for long periods of time. Duh.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:23 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,335,377 times
Plus, those with severe shellfish allergies can't take it. I would risk it for a smaller reaction, but shellfish causes anaphlaxis for me. ;-(

Old 04-14-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Plus, those with severe shellfish allergies can't take it. I would risk it for a smaller reaction, but shellfish causes anaphlaxis for me. ;-(
Life without scallops????

Old 04-14-2014, 04:32 PM

Yes, unfortunately. Many years ago, several of us from work went to Red Lobster. I didn't balk about it thinking I could find something without shellfish and I didn't want to be "that person" in front of co-workers. I nicely explained to the waiter that I wanted a sandwich and it could not be prepared using the same cutting board or utensils that touched the shellfish. I'm sure he thought I was just being obnoxious. However, one bite later I was gasping for air and swelling before everyone's eye. The poor guy was in tears apologizing as the paramedics took me away. ;-(

Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 PM

mjd07: very frightening for you. I daresay you learned a lesson that day.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 PM

Yes, I did. I speak up now instead of just trying to "keep the peace."

It's kind of strange how many people don't understand anaphlaxis. Another time, I had a reaction to a tree (I was making a Christmas wreath and didn't know I was allergic to it). I got to the hospital and the woman at the front desk handed me a clipboard. I told her that I was literally choking to death. She acted like I was just trying to "jump" the line. I saw a custodian walking by with a mop and explained to her that I needed her to go in back and just say "Anaphlaxis." She realized that I was serious and did it for me. Of course, the nurses and doctors ran out to get me immediately. I understand the front desk person was probably a volunteer, but I think they should have a basic understanding of life-threatening emergencies if they are going to be in the ER. I have no doubt I would have died that day if that custodian wasn't there.

Now, I carry an Epi-Pen. ;-)

Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM

6,427 posts, read 3,362,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Does anyone use osteo bi-flex? I have psoriasis/arthritis. It worked great for me.... even cleared skin and nails, but it didn't work with thyroid and heart meds. I am thinking of trying again to see if a smaller dose works.
Yes, I have osteoarthritis and use osteo bi-flex with good results. I also am on thyroid meds and haven't noticed a difference with using the osteo bi-flex. Did it make your thyroid meds not work?

I used to be in so o much discomfort with arthritis inflammation and pain that I had to take Bextra. But after they took it off the market, I researched and experimented with myself and found relief through stopping all wine and gluten. I am not celiac or wheat-sensitive but going gluten-free really does reduce inflammation. You have to be really strict about it or it doesn't work. And apparently wine is inflammation causing for my joints-I really feel it the next day if I even have just one glass. Also taking silica from horsetail plant really works well with the osteo bi-flex.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Ah, I see. I have been sleep-deprived for years now. ;-0 Thanks for explaining.

That's a good idea. I sent out for raisins and gin this morning and have them soaking now. I've considered cutting off my own leg as a way to reduce the pain in my knee. So, I figured I'd give this a try before I fire up the chainsaw. ;-)

All the best!
Also real (Bragg's brand is the best, imo) apple cider vinegar, one TBS in a glass of water every day, it alkalizes (reduces acidity in) the body. Learn How to Relieve Arthritis and Joint Pain with Apple Cider Vinegar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement