U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM

1,924 posts, read 989,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yes, I have osteoarthritis and use osteo bi-flex with good results. I also am on thyroid meds and haven't noticed a difference with using the osteo bi-flex. Did it make your thyroid meds not work?
It made me hyperthyroid. (yes. it's me. I dated Gandhi. ) I can't eat shrimp anymore. I didn't think about the iodine in the shellfish in osteo biflex. I took the triple strength formula. It is evidently a known problem.

I've never been able to drink red wine. It gives me migraines. I usually eat gluten free, but I went off track big time. I wonder if that's what caused my latest flare? Could be.

So today I am back to eating clean, and I'm going to start on a half dose of the osteo bi-flex, which is what my doctor suggested I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM

452 posts, read 572,986 times
I've got arthritis, but mine only bothers me when it's cold (and it's not cold here often) or just before a heavy thunderstorm (which happens every day from 3-5).

So far, the rainy season hasn't really gotten into full swing, so I've not really noticed it yet this year.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:25 AM

19,799 posts, read 19,900,285 times
For those of you with severe joint damage/ loss of cartilage, for instance, why have you not or are you not, having joint replacement?
I'm having a hard time understanding settling for being crippled for those that would benefit.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:28 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,333,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
For those of you with severe joint damage/ loss of cartilage, for instance, why have you not or are you not, having joint replacement?
I'm having a hard time understanding settling for being crippled for those that would benefit.
I am in my 40s so two orthopedic surgeons have turned me down for knee replacement (although they admit that my knee is "shot" and not fixable at all) saying I'm "too young." I finally found a surgeon willing to do the surgery, but ended up needing another surgery this past October and developed complications from that. Now, I'm using a feeding tube and coping with various complications which makes me a "poor candidate" for the knee replacement surgery now. My doctors don't know what's causing the stomach complications so there is no end date in sight for when I can have the tube removed and strong enough for knee surgery.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 AM

6,851 posts, read 11,118,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I'm getting kind of nervous about being in a wheelchair. I'm falling down more lately and my other leg (the "good" one) is having a weird, stabbing pain deep in the calf. It's worsened over this past weekend. My quality of life is already greatly diminished with one damaged leg. I can't even believe I'm having to consider a wheelchair at my age.
You MIGHT have PAD or peripheral artery disease- you should get this checked out by a doctor ASAP- a blood clot can be fatal.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,333,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You MIGHT have PAD or peripheral artery disease- you should get this checked out by a doctor ASAP- a blood clot can be fatal.
I have been to the ER three times in the past few months to check for DVT. I tested positive for the D-Dimer each time, but the ultrasound came back negative. I know a clot can travel and kill me, but all these medical bills are going to kill me eventually. I've been in the hospital six times and ER about nine times now. I've lost count. I have a call into my surgeon's office and to my patient advocate.

Thanks for your concern.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 AM

6,851 posts, read 11,118,613 times
You're welcome. I'm glad you're being seen to. Good luck to you.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:20 AM

12,272 posts, read 11,324,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
AADAD, I would be afraid to take Humira, Embrel, or Remicade because they put a damper on one's immune system leaving your system possibly subject to cancer and infections. (those drugs also are not usually recommended for osteoarthritis)

Of course, I see Phil Mickelson, famous golfer, recommending Humira in frequent TV ads, and it apparently works for now for his psoriatic arthritis, but he has a very specific form of arthritis called psoriatic arthritis and the long term effects of taking Humira on his immune system are unknown, but they are quite risky. The possible side effects of cancer and infections seem pretty radical.

I do not have just aching joints (as you mention) - I have severe debilitating osteoarthritis in my knee where the cartilage is completely gone, and osteoarthritis in other body parts too.

Bextra and Vioxx (which are similar to Celebrex) caused too many heart attacks and heart attack risk, hence they were removed from the market. And the helpfulness of each of the three is/was so little or non-existent that they were not worth risking heart attacks for.

Actually the risks associated with these medications are low and the most recent large study found that the risk of serious infection was equal to the other treatments available. If you have a history of heart failure or have HAD a serious previous infection then care is warranted. Cancer is not at increased risk nor are other serious risks although to be sure the manufacturer Centocor (Johnson and Johnson) was originally alert to the possibilities. Hardly radical millions now benefit. TNF blockers attached to that protein and prevent it from binding thus decreasing inflammation pain swelling and debility.

There are few NSAIDS which work well and all have risks. Aleve (Naproxen) has the best cardiac risk profile but gastro intestinal issues are hallmarks of all NSAIDS and all people should evaluate those risks with their doctor even though you can buy them OTC.

It would not be unusual for you and others with osteo to have a chat with a Rheumatologist. It cannot hurt to talk.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I've never been able to drink red wine. It gives me migraines. .
“RWH syndrome” - a lot of research suggests that the cause might be histamine and tyramine; not tannin as previously thought.

I stay away from red wine also

Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
AADAD, why are you ignoring that the biologic drugs of Humira, Embrel, and Remicade are NOT for osteoarthritis?

Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis among those of baby boomer age and older.

And you seem to be speaking to me - and I've mentioned twice that I have osteoarthritis, not Rheumatoid Arthritis and not Psoriatic arthritis. (if you are speaking to the one or two who have psoriatic arthritis who have posted or those with rheumatoid arthritis who have not posted, then okay)

Anyone who is interested can look at humira.com, at embrel.com, and at remicade.com.

The severe possible side effects of infections and dampering the immune system are discussed on the front page of each website.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-15-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement