U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 12:31 PM

2,879 posts, read 1,406,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Getting first knee replaced next week. Have been waiting years for this and the time is finally right.
Had my left knee replaced in dec 2016. It took about 6 months for me to get up and running, after p/t and things but soooo glad I did. My right knee is now killing me so I'm going through the process. My doctor makes me go through all the non invasive treatments first. not sure how I feel about that. it's not like my osteoarthiritis is going to get "better".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 PM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,220 posts, read 3,421,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
My arthritis disappeared after moving away from the foggy and damp west coast.
And God forbid you tell us where you live now...

Old 04-26-2018, 07:26 PM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
When I turned 70, things really started to go wrong. I developed OA in my toes and it hurt. So I wear arch supporting innersoles in my shoes now and the only sandals I can wear are Birkenstocks.

But I started taking Knox gelatin in a smoothie every day and it's worked wonders. When I run out of Knox gelatin, I have a few amino acids I take instead. And if I run out of those, I make bone broth out of bones left over from a roast. So my arthritis is pretty good for now.

I do have a knee that got banged in a car accident and I feel that OA could be setting in. The stuff I take for OA helps with it, thank goodness, and I try to not put any extra weight on it. If I have to carry something heavy, I'll wear a brace on that knee. I don't ever want to have surgery.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 PM

31,682 posts, read 19,984,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have rheumatoid arthritis and high humidity seems to give me more discomfort than the cold.
I have RA too and hate the heat and humidity, which is unfortunate as live in Hawaii. Well, for two more years, and weather was a huge consideration for where to move.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-27-2018, 02:59 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,086,149 times
My daughter was just diagnosed with RA after a couple years of symptoms and not knowing what was wrong. She joins the list in our family genes. My mom had gout; my aunt had psoriatic arthritis, and I have osteo.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:32 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 766,360 times
Quote:
Getting first knee replaced next week. Have been waiting years for this and the time is finally right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It'll be unpleasant for a while, but then you'll be happy that you had the surgery.

Being able to walk is a glorious thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Had my left knee replaced in dec 2016. It took about 6 months for me to get up and running, after p/t and things but soooo glad I did. My right knee is now killing me so I'm going through the process. My doctor makes me go through all the non invasive treatments first. not sure how I feel about that. it's not like my osteoarthiritis is going to get "better".
As I mentioned, I've been waiting several years to get my knees replaced. Was hoping to make it to 60 but now is the time. My doctor had me cut back significantly on the nsaids last year, she was concerned with the long term affects. I opted to stop taking them completely. Then, with all of the orthopedic options available in the Albany NY area I got a call from our smaller local county hospital. One of their surgeons, a younger transplant from one of NYC's top hospitals is now doing knee replacement using the robotic assisted arm, The Mako. The presentation said that the precision of the procedure means my base recovery could be just a few weeks. If all goes well I'll be doing the other knee later in the summer. Surgeon said I'll be going for nice long walks with the wife in the fall.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:44 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,452,633 times
Quote:

As I mentioned, I've been waiting several years to get my knees replaced. Was hoping to make it to 60 but now is the time. My doctor had me cut back significantly on the nsaids last year, she was concerned with the long term affects. I opted to stop taking them completely. Then, with all of the orthopedic options available in the Albany NY area I got a call from our smaller local county hospital. One of their surgeons, a younger transplant from one of NYC's top hospitals is now doing knee replacement using the robotic assisted arm, The Mako. The presentation said that the precision of the procedure means my base recovery could be just a few weeks. If all goes well I'll be doing the other knee letter in the summer. Surgeon said I'll be going for nice long walks with the wife in the fall.
interesting - I was tracking the progress of the robotic assisted knee replacement a year or two ago - at that time, only a partial knee replacement was available - they had not yet included full knee replacements. The equipment for partial knee replacement using the robotic assisted arm was available, but the equipment for a full knee replacement had not yet been fully developed and/or given approval by the FDA.

Sounds like I need to start up my research again, and check on availability and FDA approval. I thought I might be interested because it cuts needed rehab time by a large amount, and it is not as invasive and eliminates some of the problems inherent in a deeper level of invasion.

Thanks for mentioning this. Actually, one of first doctors who did the robotic assisted arm partial knee replacements was supposed to contact me when he received the needed robotic assisted equipment for full replacements (if and when it became available) and I haven't heard from him. (had an appointment with him where he and I discussed this a couple years ago) In the mean time, I collected articles on it, problems with it, FDA channels with it, etc - but I stopped checking a while back.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:58 PM

23,789 posts, read 8,278,461 times
OA issues all got worse for me after hip replacement in 2010. I'm doing everything to do NO knee replacement, just thinking of cutting out bones etc...gives me the shivers...one sloppy replacement was too much.

Recently the knee was "cleaned out" and I think it's worse since then, they remove what cartildge is there when they do this.

I cycle on my recumbent bike and I feel good while doing it, but oh the misery a while after. So I'm not doing any cycling today and using my new CBD 500mg ointment...I like it and we'll see how that goes. I've been dealing with OA for 60 some yrs and it's only advanced....I'm 80 this year.

I have posted what I use now to maintain what I deal with -- in the Supplements area here.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 766,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
interesting - I was tracking the progress of the robotic assisted knee replacement a year or two ago - at that time, only a partial knee replacement was available - they had not yet included full knee replacements. The equipment for partial knee replacement using the robotic assisted arm was available, but the equipment for a full knee replacement had not yet been fully developed and/or given approval by the FDA.

Sounds like I need to start up my research again, and check on availability and FDA approval. I thought I might be interested because it cuts needed rehab time by a large amount, and it is not as invasive and eliminates some of the problems inherent in a deeper level of invasion.

Thanks for mentioning this. Actually, one of first doctors who did the robotic assisted arm partial knee replacements was supposed to contact me when he received the needed robotic assisted equipment for full replacements (if and when it became available) and I haven't heard from him. (had an appointment with him where he and I discussed this a couple years ago) In the mean time, I collected articles on it, problems with it, FDA channels with it, etc - but I stopped checking a while back.
I have a brochure fot the Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery. Specifically it refers to total knee replacement with the Triathlon total knee implants. The brochure is dated 2017. So it must have been approved fairly recently.

I watched the procedure being done on YouTube. It's still not a 'delicate' operation. I was impressed with the interviews with people that underwent the procedure and were mobile very soon afterwards. By Wednesday I'll know firsthand how it feels.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:36 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,452,633 times
Thanks, Q44!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement