Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

I figured I ask this question in this forum, cause there's probably others here that have arthritis. So, what's your experience. How is your arthritis where you live. As I've said before, she suffers from alergies. But her arthritis is giving her a lot of problems lately also. So, any suggestions about where is a good place to live to minimize arthritis? I know Arizona is supposed to be good. Anyone have any other experience, good or bad. I try to plan ahead, and her dad had it pretty bad, so my guess is she is following the same path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Arthritisy today, it is a bit chilly and on the damp side so that and the allergies and my overall health has me feeling a bit on the wonky side today.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I figured I ask this question in this forum, cause there's probably others here that have arthritis. So, what's your experience. How is your arthritis where you live. As I've said before, she suffers from alergies. But her arthritis is giving her a lot of problems lately also. So, any suggestions about where is a good place to live to minimize arthritis? I know Arizona is supposed to be good. Anyone have any other experience, good or bad. I try to plan ahead, and her dad had it pretty bad, so my guess is she is following the same path.
I have arthritis but I don't think I have it terribly bad. When I lived in colder/damper places it bothered me a LOT. I woke up hurting and went to bed hurting. Within a month of moving home to AZ I was fine and remain so. Once in a while it'll flare some but a couple of Bayer Back & Body tablets fix it. So far my arthritis isn't too bad and I hope it continues that way. I'm lucky I have no major aches and pains but the ones I do have are very annoying sometimes.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
I have arthritis all over my body almost every joint and in my spine. I am in varying degrees of pain all the time. I live on Cape Cod and weather does not seem to make much difference to my pain level, unless it is a very low pressure storm, Hurricane, big Nor' Easter, that sort of thing

Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Best remedies for us were the kinds of foods we eat and don't, specific supplements, and as much strenuous outdoor exercise (him, as it runs in his family) and yoga (me) as possible. In my gentle yoga class we are all over age 55 and many are there with different kinds of arthritis, to free and circulate the joints. Thank heaven I found that place.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
I have arthritis really bad in my legs. It wakes me up and I can "feel" when the rain is coming. I never, ever expected to be using a walker in my 40s. I've heard the same thing about Arizona but I really, really can't stand it when it's too hot. I live in NC at the moment and I think I would sponteously combust if I didn't have A/C here. I have a fan going all year round (and did in Chicago as well). A friend from Chicago is planning to retire to Arizona after she updates her house and sells it. I know several people that have moved there just for the climate. They seem to be happy with their choice to relocate there.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I have very bad arthritis, degenerative disc disease and scoliosis. Had a bad rear end car accident at age 30 and my neck and lower back are always a problem. Just had a hip replaced 3 months ago and that has helped me alot.

For me AZ is good because I can be outside gardening most of the year. It helps to keep muscles from getting tight. Now I won't be out there when its 110 but will give it a shot at 100-103. The less you sit around, the better. And I had to sit alot in the snowy Chicago winters, inside. So I don't think AZ is especially good for arthritis (or anything else for that matter), but it is very dry here and you can be outside and active alot of the year. Hope this helps.... Barb

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Where do you think treatment is heading for osteoarthritis? I'm going to hang on to Naproxen and Cortisone as long as I can till hopefully something better than replacement and fusion come along.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:55 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
I have arthritis in two toes. It sounds like a pittance but I walk three miles a day and finding good shoes is a challenge. My toes hurt here in New England and they hurt when I lived in Florida. The rest of me is fine, thank you, so no complaints.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I have arthritis in two toes. It sounds like a pittance but I walk three miles a day and finding good shoes is a challenge. My toes hurt here in New England and they hurt when I lived in Florida. The rest of me is fine, thank you, so no complaints.
I do too. In both my big toes. Doc thought I had Gout for a while and I did test positive for it but after a couple months of meds I haven't had any problems. Lucky for me I don't eat the foods most often associated with it, except asparagus. The arthritis does bother me at times because I'm on my feet all day and when I was waitressing it was a real pain. Literally. I need good shoes too. Was thinking about buying them at a sporting goods store. Need suggestions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement