U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:31 PM

1,193 posts, read 943,629 times

Advertisements

Tell myself to invest in Dividend Paying stocks that are reinvested, and in tax free accounts. (and not in an index fund).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Advice? Don't grow any older. And while you're doing that, live beneath your means but not to the point of deprivation. Enjoy the adventure of life.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,629,170 times
ROTH accounts are made for the younger saver~ years of tax free savings. After the match~ or if they'll match into a ROTH do that. Time enough for the tax deferred stuff in your prime earning years just before retirement

You do not mention wife or family but saving as much as possible towards retirement young is good to a point. Family will be important. I even worked a part time job to do the house thing. No real regrets and living ok now. Do not try that " I must keep up with the Joneses" thing.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,227,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

Any advice would be awesome! Thirty-five years from now I want a comfortable retirement in a nice suburban home with a $50,000 sports car and yearly vacations to somewhere new, just like all of you wonderful planners!

Thanks!
A $50k sports car in retirement and the associated maintenance and insurance isn't necessarily my idea of a good move in retirement. But to get to this luxury (along w/ others like having a comfortable home, being able to travel,) you'll definitely have to make the right moves early in your career with smart, regular investing.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Fund early, fund often, live cheap, diversify.

I use 40% growth equities; 30% investment real estate, 30% investment income. Worked 3 jobs from age 15 to age 35. Bought 4 homes during that time. Just bought property # 22. some I keep, some I sell. Every investment u make... Remember that the gain is based on the price you pay. Never over pay going in. Know your exit price and strategy BEFORE u buy.

Work hard, enjoy the journey. Including the detours and road blocks. There will be plenty. It's not magic, it's not free. But please make it fun 4 u and others. Poof... Ur GONE!...

Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,907,508 times
33 years ago when I was 25, I got an entry level job with the municipality I lived in. As a benefit included was the "defined benefit" pension. I was able to retire very comfortably at 55, and can't outlive my pension benefits! Defined benefit pensions are REAL pensions that ensure you will have enough to live on, not extravagantly but you can live quite well. Not a sophisticated solution but it worked for me.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:54 AM

832 posts, read 958,277 times
Marry someone that is filthy rich. And don't sign any pre-nup agreements!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,227,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Fund early, fund often, live cheap, diversify.

You might find that living a life beneath your means extends into retirement and you won't spend $50k on a luxury car even when you have the money - and you'll settle for an economy car at $25k. Old habits are hard to break - even good ones.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 AM

297 posts, read 669,124 times
Seriously, if I could go back and talk to my 28-year-old self, I'd say don't spend so much money on ** things**. Spend your "mad money" or entertainment money on **experiences** like travel, festivals, and the like. You'll have fun and have the memories without a bunch of stuff around that's lost its value.

Don't become a hoarder or an over-zealous collector. Live with less stuff. Don't get so many pets that they keep you from doing things you want (I love my pets but we have too many, no one's fault but my own... sigh...).

Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,085,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Save now, save regularly and plan for a mid 50's retirement because you never know what will happen. Avoid all debt like the plague and forget keeping up with the Jone's if it takes gong to the bank to do it.
I agree with this^^.

Save at least 10% of your income, 15% if you can afford it. Learn a little about investing and you can manage that part of your life on your own without having to pay someone to do that. (The Boglehead's Guide to Investing is a good place to start).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or