U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 AM
 
Location: in the miseries
3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
Reputation: 3810

Advertisements

Our gene pool is so varied. It's interesting to see who you take after.
My father started out pretty cruel (took after his father), but he realized it and stopped those behaviors.
He was talented and creative passed on a lot of those traits.
Mother was diagnosed manic, but amazingly the last 27years of her life no meds.
Misdiagnosis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2014, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,547 posts, read 17,546,296 times
Reputation: 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In my younger years I was too much like my father. But as the years passed by I became less and less like him. That's a blessing. He did have his good qualities, however, and I seem to have inherited some of them. Fortunately, there's very little of my mother in me. Unfortunately, that also includes her artistic, creative skills.

Both of my parents were alcoholics who literally determined to drink themselves to death after Dad retired. Pancreatic cancer beat my mother to it and my father followed a year later.
I am still my dad. My temper is more borrowed from Mom's side, though she never really showed it. But Dad and I never completely made peace over stupid things. We were pretty much mirror images. I got the creativity and art from mom though. Dad helped with liking to take electronic things apart to see how they worked. We had ONE mr.coffee. He dismantled the one that died and said we'd buy a different brand, and insisted on looking inside the thing to see if it was safe before it was replaced. I have that attention to detail from both.

(The first models had a direct wire into the water heater and were known to suddenly catch on fire. The 'good' ones had a plate the power supply heated.)

They were two pack a day chain smokers. Mom died frim an anurism but had emphasema so bad she couldn't lay down. Dad had a tumor grow on the lungs, but towards the outside, and died from the effects of the cancer. I don't think anything including their kid's health would have disuaded them from their cancer sticks. I let them take that responsibility for themselves.

Last edited by nightbird47; 04-12-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,547 posts, read 17,546,296 times
Reputation: 16771
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Our gene pool is so varied. It's interesting to see who you take after.
My father started out pretty cruel (took after his father), but he realized it and stopped those behaviors.
He was talented and creative passed on a lot of those traits.
Mother was diagnosed manic, but amazingly the last 27years of her life no meds.
Misdiagnosis?
Might not be. Maybe she had her own coping system and it wasn't extreme. Sometimes, especially with mania, meds make things worse than better. I'm glad she was able to deal with it herself. Lucky lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 11:28 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I am still my dad. My temper is more borrowed from Mom's side, though she never really showed it. But Dad and I never completely made peace over stupid things. We were pretty much mirror images. I got the creativity and art from mom though. Dad helped with liking to take electronic things apart to see how they worked. We had ONE mr.coffee. He dismantled the one that died and said we'd buy a different brand, and insisted on looking inside the thing to see if it was safe before it was replaced. I have that attention to detail from both.

They were two pack a day chain smokers. Mom died frim an anurism but had emphasema so bad she couldn't lay down. Dad had a tumor grow on the lungs, but towards the outside, and died from the effects of the cancer. I don't think anything including their kid's health would have disuaded them from their cancer sticks. I let them take that responsibility for themselves.
My parents smoked at least that much. As a former pack a day smoker for more years than I care to remember, I can understand their reluctance to quit for any reason. I finally did so for me but the ravages are there. Growing up in a smoke-filled house didn't help.

Do remember, in the 40s-60s when many/most of us were raised there was no hue-and-cry about 2nd-hand smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 03:37 PM
 
Location: in the miseries
3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
Reputation: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My parents smoked at least that much. As a former pack a day smoker for more years than I care to remember, I can understand their reluctance to quit for any reason. I finally did so for me but the ravages are there. Growing up in a smoke-filled house didn't help.

Do remember, in the 40s-60s when many/most of us were raised there was no hue-and-cry about 2nd-hand smoke.
I remember sitting on the plane or in a restaurant I the 'no smoking' section. Hah!
Now the newest bugaboo is third hand smoke.
My father never smoked,but he came home covered in DDT often.
Luckily we weren't stunted by breathing that,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 04:51 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,757 posts, read 7,035,798 times
Reputation: 14295
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I remember sitting on the plane or in a restaurant I the 'no smoking' section. Hah!
Now the newest bugaboo is third hand smoke.
My father never smoked,but he came home covered in DDT often.
Luckily we weren't stunted by breathing that,

Ok, I'll bite. What is third-hand smoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 PM
 
117 posts, read 98,154 times
Reputation: 149
What is Third-Hand Smoke

What is Third-Hand Smoke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 AM
 
Location: East Coast
2,903 posts, read 4,582,931 times
Reputation: 4291
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
No. Even though I looked like my mother, I always thought I was dropped off at my parents' doorstep. I still feel that way.
Me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Reputation: 32304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My parents smoked at least that much. As a former pack a day smoker for more years than I care to remember, I can understand their reluctance to quit for any reason. I finally did so for me but the ravages are there. Growing up in a smoke-filled house didn't help.

Do remember, in the 40s-60s when many/most of us were raised there was no hue-and-cry about 2nd-hand smoke.
That's right. The cultural attitudes surrounding smoking have undergone a sea change. I was born in 1944. When I was a child in the 1950's people normally did not ask if they could smoke in your home - they just did so if they were visiting there. Although both my parents were non-smokers, as a normal courtesy they had ashtrays in the living room. My father hated that, but was not prepared to swim against the tide to the extent of forbidding smoking in our home. I remembering him angrily opening all the windows (no matter how cold it was outside) following adult committee meetings of our Boy Scout troop which he sometimes hosted at our home.

Although it may seem common sense that smoking is bad for us, the medical evidence for that was just starting to accumulate during the 1950's and it was a hotly debated topic. There were as yet no non-smoking sections in restaurants or airplanes.

It's amazing what we get used to and therefore accept as a norm. California was among the states in the lead in banning smoking entirely in restaurants. Many other states took several years to catch up. I remember once I was in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; we walked into a restaurant and were asked, "Smoking or non-smoking?" It had been several years since I had heard that question and it came as a shock - sort of like being sucked suddenly into a time warp. That was quite a few years ago, of course, but I cannot remember exactly when it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 04:02 PM
 
Location: in the miseries
3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
Reputation: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What is third-hand smoke?
First. You smoke, then your passenger in the same car who doesn't smoke breathes your smoke.(second hand)
Then either one of you covered in smoking aura and fumes meets a third person. That is third hand smoke.

The thinking is now any breathing fumes is tres bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top