U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 04:38 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,357,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I have noticed that my hair is turning silver, which happened to both my parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
That'll happen to everyone alpine!
My hair has been "salt and pepper" for a few years now, but salt is winning out over pepper!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 PM

19,911 posts, read 18,914,045 times
I have my mother's impossible hair--it's a curse. We used to call her Clarabelle the Clown due to her hair. Curls in all the wrong places. She didn't care but I do.

There's no way I could ever measure up to either of my parents. My mother was so sweet and giving, my father was so smart and kind. They were't perfect, my mother was too quiet and meek and my father could be critical but they were both inspirations to me.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:03 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,586,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I have my mother's impossible hair--it's a curse. We used to call her Clarabelle the Clown due to her hair. Curls in all the wrong places. She didn't care but I do.

There's no way I could ever measure up to either of my parents. My mother was so sweet and giving, my father was so smart and kind. They were't perfect, my mother was too quiet and meek and my father could be critical but they were both inspirations to me.
You got the best! Couldn't ask for anything better than inspirations.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:33 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,576,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My parents smoked at least that much. As a former pack a day smoker for more years than I care to remember, I can understand their reluctance to quit for any reason. I finally did so for me but the ravages are there. Growing up in a smoke-filled house didn't help.

Do remember, in the 40s-60s when many/most of us were raised there was no hue-and-cry about 2nd-hand smoke.
I understand before, but when it was clearly established they kept puffing away. Mom wouldn't see a doctor about the emphasema (it was noted in the autpsy) since she wouldn't quit smoking. We tried and short of an emergency trip to the hospial nobody was getting her to one. I'm soon going to be sixty two, and in a few months after that will have outlived her. The anurism killed her, but I'm sure the poison helped it along. I had breathing problems from the smoke, and they still smoked in the house. I was ill with a cronic disease and had to live at home. As soon as it was finally bad enough they fixed it I moved. Dad couldn't understand why he wasn't welcome in my apartment if he smoked.

Dad died directly from it, though it took time. My son on Just say NO day did a poster about smoking.

I do think they had the responsibility to stop smoking inside at least when it was clear I had problems and told them so.

My uncle was a lifelong smoker, and had a sore throat. The doctor saw a growth which he removed and told him if he didn't quit he'd be dead in a couple of years. He quit cold turkey, threw away his stash and forbid my aunt to smoke inside. In the winter when it was cold if she wanted to smoke she went out the patio with the door shut. She gave in in a year.

So it could be done. I just think parents, once they had the knowledge, OWED their kids to quit or at least not smoke around them.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,576,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My hair has been "salt and pepper" for a few years now, but salt is winning out over pepper!
I just let mine grow over the abserdly Looong winter, since most of the time it had a hood or hat on it. I didn't waste my henna dying it since nobody was going to see it and have quite a lot of natural growth now. There's lots of grey, almost white. But there's still much more dirty blonde than I though. Soon, however it will be all natural red, medium to dark. (yes I LOVE the way henna makes a real natural red)

Of course its going to be 30 tonight and I'm glad I didn't plant my plants yet, though they need it. And before the storm went through last night it was over 80. I felt so undressed with one layer yesterday.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,170,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Growing I thought I would never be like either of my parents.
But time has just run away!
I am more like them than I thought possible.

Are you and in what way?
I am very different from my parents and the differences become more pronounced as I age. On the other hand, as I age I become more and more like a mixture of my grand parents and great grand parents.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,586,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I am very different from my parents and the differences become more pronounced as I age. On the other hand, as I age I become more and more like a mixture of my grand parents and great grand parents.
Sometimes that's for the best.
Seems like you knew them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or