U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,054,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
These are indeed thought provoking. But I for one certainly don't believe that my generation has done the most for society of any generation. That would be silly.
When I look back on the contributions of earlier generations, that built this great country, no, the boomer generation doesn't even come close to having done the most for society of any generation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,973 times
Well, I think our generation certainly is right up there with the ones that created the most CHANGES in society, for sure.

Compare the general societal attitudes toward government, the military, racism, and women's rights after the 1960s to that of most of the previous generations. Huge shift, IMHO.

(not to mention attitudes toward s*x, drugs and rock'n'roll, LOL)

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Quote:
Being a boomer means there is no way to be over the hill if you keep pushing the hill back.
The good thing about being over the hill is that on the down-hill slide you pick up speed! What's not to love about (that kind of) speed?

Old 04-11-2014, 01:41 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN (ATARI WAVE) GEN X-ER:
But this is the Retirement Forum.
Boomers are retired or close to retirement.
Gen-Xers are not.

StressedOutNYer, I liked 'em. Even if I did say Ouch.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
This list really has very little meaning for me. I dislike stereotypes and labels. I particularly dislike the term "baby boomer." To each their own but I would rather not be categorized by age but rather by who I am.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,163,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
But this is the Retirement Forum.
Boomers are retired or close to retirement.
Gen-Xers are not.

StressedOutNYer, I liked 'em. Even if I did say Ouch.
You are misinformed. I (and many of my cohort) are exceedingly concerned about, planning, dreading, and hoping for retirement.

For me, I hope I can work another 20 years (e.g. so as to make it to or past the magic 70) but realize I may be "early retired" at any time. Or I may not live to see retirement. Doing all I can though including the catch up contribution, maxing out every tax year.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,163,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Well hold on because the next 15 zooms bye!
Yes, so true. The "Great Acceleration" has set in.

My own yardstick for when one becomes an old fart - you notice you are attending more funerals than weddings.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,284,047 times
Being a baby boomer means you wore a skirt to school for at least half of your K-12 education.

Being a baby boomer means you were aloud to play outside unsupervised and your road a bike in the street without a helmet.

Being a Boomer means you know what "The Battle of the Bands" was.

Being a Baby Boomer means you watched TV on Saturday morning.They had cartoons then.

Being a Boomer means that you know what "Duck and Cover" means and you never thought that that formica desk was going to protect you against The Bomb.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,037,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN (ATARI WAVE) GEN X-ER: ...
Being a Gen X-er means thinking the older generations could thank you a lot more for the Social Security funds...
This, again, is the most ridiculous of assumptions, but don't get me started.
What I want to say to this particular Gen X-er is "For goodness sakes, put some optimisism, humor and fun in your life...otherwise you will be that grumpy old man WAY before you hit 70." Hmmmm, in fact, I think you are already there...
Very sad...

I am a Boomer and very proud to be one! I prefer to keep thinking there is more life yet to come!

Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Being a baby boomer means you wore a skirt to school for at least half of your K-12 education.

Being a baby boomer means you were aloud to play outside unsupervised and your road a bike in the street without a helmet.

Being a Boomer means you know what "The Battle of the Bands" was.

Being a Baby Boomer means you watched TV on Saturday morning.They had cartoons then.

Being a Boomer means that you know what "Duck and Cover" means and you never thought that that formica desk was going to protect you against The Bomb.
ALL so true! :-D And I would add to the Saturday morning tv one, that the cartoons were in black and white for a fair proportion of years, as well. ;-)

And when did the schools finally do away with those "air raid drills" anyhow? Funny how I can remember when we had them but can't remember at what point in time/grade they stopped.

Ah, here's another:

Being a Baby Boomer means that if your house had a basement, a portion of it was stocked with canned goods, bottled water, blankets and flashlights; not against the viscissitudes of Mother Nature but as a "fallout shelter".

Try to explain that kind of stuff to anyone in a later generation and they will look at you as if you have two heads; but it was a part of life for us, as kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement