U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Thanks happyinca. I know about the rents Jeez they are pricey but with 3 new grandchildren within 50 miles of us we are smitten. That said we are going to purchase land or buy here hoping to find an owner to carry in Julian Ramona or Valley Center. The modular is more work than I want but far less expensive. Julian has many burn outs with electric and well which given the current H2O situation we like.
Nice area.

Just one suggestion - after you find the land you want, go back on a breezy day and make sure you aren't downwind of the chicken ranches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
called the SS office, told them I'm not retiring yet.

I had to repay the one payment I'd gotten which was fine.
Technically that's not file and suspend which you can only do at FRA.

That's withdrawing to apply at a later date.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
keep in mind, Julian is fire country.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 PM

16,362 posts, read 10,348,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Did your wife file for spousal at the time? May be two conversations if not
I'm a single female.

The PA is for Pennsylvania, where I live.

(Wish I hadn't used that as part of my name but given the scope of the CD forum it seemed like a good idea at the time.)

Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 PM

21,906 posts, read 14,397,959 times
I just want to echo the rec that you need more savings. We have insurance, but we have found that just one uncovered dental procedure can cost thousands of dollars. Imagine if you need many dental procedures at some point! Or that you have some other financial reverse. I don't think $50,000 is nearly enough.

Yes, invest. But also you need some thousands in cash.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 PM

29,784 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I just want to echo the rec that you need more savings. We have insurance, but we have found that just one uncovered dental procedure can cost thousands of dollars. Imagine if you need many dental procedures at some point! Or that you have some other financial reverse. I don't think $50,000 is nearly enough.

Yes, invest. But also you need some thousands in cash.
The amount suggested as being needed for medical cost in retirement ranges between 250k-315k.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:27 AM

16,362 posts, read 10,348,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Technically that's not file and suspend which you can only do at FRA.

That's withdrawing to apply at a later date.
oh

Guess that explains why I could when everyone is saying it can't be done.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
The amount suggested as being needed for medical cost in retirement ranges between 250k-315k.
"Suggested" by whom? What assumptions went into the calculation of the amounts? (Yes, I am familiar with that so-called "study"; investment firms love to scare people into "needing" huge amounts to retire on). One can make extreme assumptions which can conceivably result in those amounts being spent for medical and dental costs over a life-time of retirement. Some of the assumptions would have to be stuff like not purchasing a Medicare supplement, needing rare and expensive drugs, having constant surgeries and hospitalizations, etc.

However, in the real world, my experience has been vastly different. At age 70 I have been on Medicare for five years now and my co-pays have amounted to pennies. I once did, and posted somewhere on City-Data, an extensive analysis, based on my present Medicare Advantage Plan, and assuming a couple of different surgeries and hospitalizations every year together with frequent doctor visits and lab work; it still came to very, very little. I sure wish I had copied that analysis or made a notation about which forum and thread I posted it in. I am too lazy to re-do it.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,118,699 times
I am sorry to say this but 50K is not nearly enough. You could have many unforeseen expenses to cover. I think you should work until 70, save more and take full Social Security.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 766,594 times
Quote:
Medical costs to anticipate in retirement is an area that admittedly I need to study more. When you say 250K-315K you're talking a cumulative number combining insurance/medicare premiums plus out of pocket costs plus things not necessarily covered, right? Not just out of pocket or on top of all other costs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or