U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:41 AM

19,800 posts, read 19,900,285 times

Advertisements

"How to travel the world in retirement and not go broke"

Obviously, a big part of that answer is to have enough money to be able to afford travelling the world in retirement..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,431,943 times
These rich jet-setters earn more than twice the US median household income, plus they have a pile of money they aren't even using:
Quote:
They haven't had to touch their nest egg, which they are saving
So, the first rule to avoid going broke is to have enough money.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 PM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
These rich jet-setters earn more than twice the US median household income, plus they have a pile of money they aren't even using....

Jet setters? Seriously? A couple of retired grandparents who travel offseason, take inexpensive cruises, and stay in rental apartments to conserve money?

Definition of JET SET

: an international social group of wealthy individuals who frequent fashionable resorts

Jet set - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I don't think so.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:54 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Love the article! DH and I would be doing the same, mostly domestically in the US, if we didn't have his elderly mom and aging cat to consider.

Having stayed in dozens of vacation rental homes, I agree with Ms. Martin that not one ever had a comfortable sofa..

Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
"They live on income from their investments (about $6,000 a month), Social Security and a small pension." In other words this looks like about $10,000/month or $120,000/year.

Very few retirees have this much income.
Actually, very few working couples make $120K a year.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"How to travel the world in retirement and not go broke"

Obviously, a big part of that answer is to have enough money to be able to afford travelling the world in retirement..
I can't imagine the lifestyle. I want my own bed and don't enjoy being away from my "things" more than two or so weeks at a time.

I do like to cruise but after 8-10 days I am ready to get back home.

I agree - the key is "affording to do it." I guess a lot of folks could travel using much less money if they are taking road trips and staying with friends along the way.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, very few working couples make $120K a year.
It may be more than you think. 17,831,000 households (about 15% of total households) have an income of at least $120k (2011 data). And if you drop it down a little further, over 20% have an income of at lest $100k.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can't imagine the lifestyle. I want my own bed and don't enjoy being away from my "things" more than two or so weeks at a time.

I do like to cruise but after 8-10 days I am ready to get back home.

I agree - the key is "affording to do it." I guess a lot of folks could travel using much less money if they are taking road trips and staying with friends along the way.
I agree, but, this couple changed the whole dynamic of "home" and "stuff" by getting rid of everything. As you suggested, I also get quite tired of temporary accommodations and the sense of uneasiness with new locations that comes from traveling. I also think that I would be very uncomfortable with 'having no place to go home to.'

That said, are 'walls and stuff' in our lives really that important ... or are they simply habitual accouterments that we only imagine we could not do without. (For example, we moved a couple of years ago and left all of our 'stuff' in storage for about 6-months, while we lived with the 'kids'. By the end of that time, we could hardly remember what 'stuff' we still had in storage.)

The fact that the couple periodically rented places near to kids and grandkids partly answered the 'family question'. Also, when one considers the savings of not maintaining a permanent home, I suspect (and the article suggests) that the cost would likely be more affordable/manageable than one might expect. IMO, this sounds like an intriguing notion, but, is probably one of those things one would have to try first in order to really know if they loved it or hated it. There probably wouldn't be to much 'middle-ground'.

Last edited by jghorton; 04-11-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 03:53 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,014,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
True but that is not a huge amount either.

Not sure that there is no home base. They will still need a place to send their check so...... there is a home base. I am not sure how that works and SS needs a location as well.

As for the wife and I, we will be in that same boat of income. We will do our travel early in our lives so that we are in the best of health as we do it. As we get older the location will be important for our home base so that is really what brought us (me) to this forum. Getting good ideas and suggestions from all of you. Having this place to network is very good. So many of you are down to earth and good people and though we have never met I feel like a lot of you are extended family.
Check? Whats that? Seriously, direct deposit solved that a long time ago. You can really do your banking and bill paying from anywhere with just a smartphone. A tablet or laptop makes it a little easier to see for us retirees. I had big plans for similar adventure, but alas, family commitments are more important. Maybe someday...

Old 04-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It may be more than you think. 17,831,000 households (about 15% of total households) have an income of at least $120k (2011 data). And if you drop it down a little further, over 20% have an income of at lest $100k.
Seems to me that 15% fully fits my criterion of "not that many couples," lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or