U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I agree, but, this couple changed the whole dynamic of "home" and "stuff" by getting rid of everything. As you suggested, I also get quite tired of temporary accommodations and the sense of uneasiness with new locations that comes from traveling. I also think that I would be very uncomfortable with 'having no place to go home to.'

That said, are 'walls and stuff' in our lives really that important ... or are they simply habitual accouterments that we only imagine we could not do without. (For example, we moved a couple of years ago and left all of our 'stuff' in storage for about 6-months, while we lived with the 'kids'. By the end of that time, we could hardly remember what 'stuff' we still had in storage.)

The fact that the couple periodically rented places near to kids and grandkids partly answered the 'family question'. Also, when one considers the savings of not maintaining a permanent home, I suspect (and the article suggests) that the cost would likely be more affordable/manageable than one might expect. IMO, this sounds like an intriguing notion, but, is probably one of those things one would have to try first in order to really know if they loved it or hated it. There probably wouldn't be to much 'middle-ground'.
I think it is wonderful for folks to follow a dream, have an adventure . . . after all, it can be an experiment.

I know myself quite well and I would not be interested in it at all. Even thinking about it seems/feels chaotic, disjointed, and anxiety inducing.

I started acquiring property (real estate and "things") while in college. I like knowing that the stuff I invest in is tangible. I have never rented for more than 9 months in my life, other than while I was in college, but even then -- by the time I was a junior in college -- I was leasing a home with option to buy (i was working several part time jobs and had my own antiques/collectibles refinishing business while in college).

So I am sure this lifestyle wouldn't work for me, even if I were a multi-millionaire. Actually, if I were a multi-millionaire, I would definitely not want this lifestyle, as what I would do is purchase properties in several locations, and fill them up with art and collectibles, lololol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 05:14 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,962,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
This looks like fun. Has anyone thought of doing something like this?

How to travel the world in retirement and not go broke

The couple haven't been doing this long as the story goes. I wonder how long they can keep that up. They are a relatively new couple have seven grands from what I read 4 daughters (2 from each former mariage).

Anyway we want to do some travel ourselves but we will not give up our roots here to just go where the wind takes us.
I already did it. Traveled Europe, Mexico and Central America for 10 years. If you watch what you spend, where you eat and where you stay, not much costlier than every day living.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:28 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,927,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, very few working couples make $120K a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Seems to me that 15% fully fits my criterion of "not that many couples," lol.
Actually, you said "very few," but why quibble?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 PM

90 posts, read 104,799 times
I love these stories! The secret to not going broke is to have lots of money. Genius!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, you said "very few," but why quibble?
15% of the nation feels like very few to me, but maybe not to you.

I think it would certainly qualify as a definite MINORITY.

But yes, why quibble.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 PM

19,881 posts, read 18,894,234 times
I did Europe on $5 a Day. (Remember that book?) It was simple back in those days. Airfare was probably about $100 round trip to Europe, we stayed with friends or camped, ate bread and cheese (and wine), took the train and also bought a car which we sold back. We spent the whole summer in Europe on the cheap.

It's so much more expensive today. If the people in the article can afford to keep traveling, more power to them. It would be fun. I'm not ready to give up all my possessions though. Someday you have to come home and you will need the furniture, dishes, books...and the dog? They gave their dog away.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,354,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
"They live on income from their investments (about $6,000 a month), Social Security and a small pension." In other words this looks like about $10,000/month or $120,000/year.

Very few retirees have this much income.
Not a lot of working people have this much income either.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 PM

17,068 posts, read 17,395,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
"They live on income from their investments (about $6,000 a month), Social Security and a small pension." In other words this looks like about $10,000/month or $120,000/year.

Very few retirees have this much income.
As others have said, only a few working couples have that much income (someone quoted 15%).

It reminds me of all of those posters who start threads "Do I have enough money to retire?" and then list shockingly high (at least to me) amounts of savings, pensions, investment property, etc. etc.

Let's see a few more articles on "How to travel the world in retirement and not go broke" and list no investment income, $1,500 a month in SS and $1,500 a month from a pension. THAT is an article that would relate to far, far more retirees.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 PM

90 posts, read 104,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They gave their dog away.
Yeah I sort of stopped reading their story at that point.

Next it'll be people giving their kids away.

Freedom!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:03 AM

8,108 posts, read 7,081,565 times
Stow away on the road to Morocco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or