U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 05:17 AM

29,812 posts, read 34,900,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
As others have said, only a few working couples have that much income (someone quoted 15%).

It reminds me of all of those posters who start threads "Do I have enough money to retire?" and then list shockingly high (at least to me) amounts of savings, pensions, investment property, etc. etc.

Let's see a few more articles on "How to travel the world in retirement and not go broke" and list no investment income, $1,500 a month in SS and $1,500 a month from a pension. THAT is an article that would relate to far, far more retirees.
That doesn't mean others if not in the majority don't have the right to think and discuss in public and open formats. As far as articles go always consider the intended audience of the publication and where you stand in comparison. I know personally there are a lot of journalistic shoes that don't fit so I avoid the brand. The wealth section of CNBC online often has articles on the considerable financial anxieties of those with a net worth of 3-5 million. Targeted audience with shared concerns. If linked here might cause some to meltdown and others to relate and add to. Yet if linked in Bogleheads forum wouldn't raise an eyebrow and could get some good advice and thinking. Yet if someone with far lesser means asked a question it would be fully answered and responded to with courtesy and respect or passed by.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 AM

17,069 posts, read 17,400,726 times
Quote:
As others have said, only a few working couples have that much income (someone quoted 15%).

It reminds me of all of those posters who start threads "Do I have enough money to retire?" and then list shockingly high (at least to me) amounts of savings, pensions, investment property, etc. etc.

Let's see a few more articles on "How to travel the world in retirement and not go broke" and list no investment income, $1,500 a month in SS and $1,500 a month from a pension. THAT is an article that would relate to far, far more retirees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That doesn't mean others if not in the majority don't have the right to think and discuss in public and open formats. As far as articles go always consider the intended audience of the publication and where you stand in comparison. I know personally there are a lot of journalistic shoes that don't fit so I avoid the brand. The wealth section of CNBC online often has articles on the considerable financial anxieties of those with a net worth of 3-5 million. Targeted audience with shared concerns. If linked here might cause some to meltdown and others to relate and add to. Yet if linked in Bogleheads forum wouldn't raise an eyebrow and could get some good advice and thinking. Yet if someone with far lesser means asked a question it would be fully answered and responded to with courtesy and respect or passed by.
I want to clear this up.

Yes, I agree that there is a h-u-g-e range of retirement incomes. Heck, my own sister-in-law has a pension that is higher than the income of probably 70% of working American families, plus her own investments, plus her own social security, plus her own property. And that is not even counting her husband's (my brother's) retirement money. Do I criticize them? Certainly not. They worked very, very hard for their money their entire careers.

Do I criticize the posters on C-D who ask if they can afford to retire with 5 or 10 million dollar portfolios? No, I don't. I usually don't even read those threads as they have nothing in common with me.

Now, if the couple in question had posted directly on C-D I would not have commented, and I suspect some of the others also would not have commented. But, they did not post. I, and others, commented on a article that someone posted a link to allow others to read it.

And, I truly would like to see a few more articles on "How to travel the world when you have $3,000 a month in retirement income (and $3,000 + in retirement expenses)". Please start a new thread and post links if you have them on that topic.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 AM

8,208 posts, read 11,929,872 times
Quote:
And, I truly would like to see a few more articles on "How to travel the world when you have $3,000 a month in retirement income (and $3,000 + in retirement expenses)". Please start a new thread and post links if you have them.
The OP linked to an article that he enjoyed reading and believed would be of interest to some other readers of this forum. With all due respect, if you want to see articles with a different point of view posted on this forum, I suggest that you do as the OP did, and find them and post them here yourself. It's not other people's job to find and link articles that may be of interest to you.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 AM

Can you Retire on $500 per month? | JetSetCitizen.com

Quote:
For $2000 per month you could have a very comfortable life in a tropical country with great food and a fantastic lifestyle. $1000 per month is very doable for those willing to sacrifice material comforts and give up western ideas of consumption. $500 is the low end of the scale. Possible for shorter term travel, but unless you are capable of living a very ascetic lifestyle, it is not practical for indefinite travel. Don’t get me wrong, I strongly encourage everyone to greatly reduce their environmental footprint on the world by living simpler lives. Living on $500 is still possible but it requires a disconnection from the rest of the world. It certainly would be hard to blog about it on $500 per month.
How to Travel Affordably in Retirement - US News

5 tips to frugal travel in retirement

Also a person can do research on renting their house out while travelling abroad or if the house is nice in a nice location perhaps a house swap. If one truly is interested many answers are just a Google away. If anyone is truly interested in travelling abroad on $3,000 income per month hopefully this is a start and happy surfing and hopefully they can put it together and enjoy their adventure.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:

And, I truly would like to see a few more articles on "How to travel the world when you have $3,000 a month in retirement income (and $3,000 + in retirement expenses)". Please start a new thread and post links if you have them on that topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The OP linked to an article that he enjoyed reading and believed would be of interest to some other readers of this forum. With all due respect, if you want to see articles with a different point of view posted on this forum, I suggest that you do as the OP did, and find them and post them here yourself. It's not other people's job to find and link articles that may be of interest to you.
Oops, I'm sorry that it sounded like an order.----You Will Find Articles For Me To Read!!!!

I did not mean it that way. I meant that if someone happened to run across an article like that please post the link. I would be interested in reading it and I am sure that others would enjoy it as well.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Can you Retire on $500 per month? | JetSetCitizen.com

How to Travel Affordably in Retirement - US News

Also a person can do research on renting their house out while travelling abroad or if the house is nice in a nice location perhaps a house swap. If one truly is interested many answers are just a Google away. If anyone is truly interested in travelling abroad on $3,000 income per month hopefully this is a start and happy surfing and hopefully they can put it together and enjoy their adventure.
Thank you for the links. I will check them out and I am sure that many others will also do that.

Sadly, in my case, travel is probably only something that I can dream about as I am physically disabled caring for a disabled spouse who can't really travel and can't be left alone.

However, I do enjoy dreaming about traveling and maybe someday it will work out for me. Perhaps, even one of the tips listed will provide the answer/help that I need.

Thanks again for posting the links.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:10 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
All the financial blather aside, not a lifestyle we'd be happy with. We take great comfort in owning a home we love, right where we want to be and as former military (me) and military brats (both of us) we've moved around quite enough, thank you.

There's more to life than mere money!.....tap, tap, tap.....waiting for the exploding heads.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:04 AM

176 posts, read 510,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
I already did it. Traveled Europe, Mexico and Central America for 10 years. If you watch what you spend, where you eat and where you stay, not much costlier than every day living.
This is the kind of stories we would like to hear about. There are lots of countries which have a much lower per capita income than the U.S. and it would seem possible that by living like the natives one should be able to travel the world at a reasonable price.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the links. I will check them out and I am sure that many others will also do that.

Sadly, in my case, travel is probably only something that I can dream about as I am physically disabled caring for a disabled spouse who can't really travel and can't be left alone.

However, I do enjoy dreaming about traveling and maybe someday it will work out for me. Perhaps, even one of the tips listed will provide the answer/help that I need.

You carry a heavy load and sorry if I came off harshly. You have a full plate and best of luck.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:

In addition to those this is a page of links that might be helpful on vacations for the disabled. Lots of resources and best of luck.

vacations for the disabled - Bing

Much of the assistance could be pricey I don't know but there may be ways and if not a frequent vacationer perhaps you and the wife could spring for one very special one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or