U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 12:39 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,739,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
"They live on income from their investments (about $6,000 a month), Social Security and a small pension." In other words this looks like about $10,000/month or $120,000/year.

Very few retirees have this much income.
Thank You.. That is more than most people make during work years let alone retirement.. And since they sold their house they either got a good size profit or 100% if their home was paid for.. So add that to their money amount and you have a good bundle to do whatever you want.. And living in some of those countries is cheaper than living in the US...

Give me a regular couple with an average retirement and see if they can do this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 12:57 PM

332 posts, read 428,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
I love these stories! The secret to not going broke is to have lots of money. Genius!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old 04-12-2014, 07:47 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,431,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Thank You.. That is more than most people make during work years let alone retirement.. .
Give me a regular couple with an average retirement and see if they can do this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
These rich jet-setters earn more than twice the US median household income, plus they have a pile of money they aren't even using
Far, far more than the average person makes. Rich people's problems.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Thank You.. That is more than most people make during work years let alone retirement.. And since they sold their house they either got a good size profit or 100% if their home was paid for.. So add that to their money amount and you have a good bundle to do whatever you want.. And living in some of those countries is cheaper than living in the US...

Honestly I am sure even a modest income couple given a few small details can do some if not all of this. If you are not spending money maintaining a place that frees up a nice chunk of change. Even if you only want to do part of it a decent nest egg spent early on when retired to enjoy life can do that.

So many people save for retirement and never use the savings because they are trying to save for the future. Issue is that as a retiree the future is now. This is the time to spend it down. Good travel planning can go a long way (pun intended).

For those who want to travel please do. There is so much world to see and there is never enough time. Yes of course physical limitations will hamper some travel but... even traveling this great country of ours is worth every penny.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM

10,813 posts, read 8,059,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
For those who want to travel please do. There is so much world to see and there is never enough time. Yes of course physical limitations will hamper some travel but... even traveling this great country of ours is worth every penny.
This!
Key phrases are "want to travel" and "physical limitations"; income level is irrelevant. Every retiree can find and enjoy the level of travel that suits her/him.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,504 times
Quote:
True but that is not a huge amount either.

As for the wife and I, we will be in that same boat of income. We will do our travel early in our lives so that we are in the best of health as we do it. As we get older the location will be important for our home base so that is really what brought us (me) to this forum. Getting good ideas and suggestions from all of you. Having this place to network is very good. So many of you are down to earth and good people and though we have never met I feel like a lot of you are extended family.
I'm glad you posted the article. We're slightly behind you on the projected income level, but as I posted some time ago, the benefit of living your entire working life in a high cost state oftens appears in retirement when your SS, pension and 401K contributions come to fruition. I appreciate the occassional post on enjoying retirement.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:58 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I'm glad you posted the article. We're slightly behind you on the projected income level, but as I posted some time ago, the benefit of living your entire working life in a high cost state oftens appears in retirement when your SS, pension and 401K contributions come to fruition. I appreciate the occassional post on enjoying retirement.
Bada Bing

Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM

4,623 posts, read 4,462,694 times
Those folks in the article are on the higher end of retirement savings/income, and they appear to live frugally in their adventures. With the income I expect in retirement, and seeing what they are doing, it looks like the only "traveling" I'll be doing is to the mailbox across the street.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:34 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Those folks in the article are on the higher end of retirement savings/income, and they appear to live frugally in their adventures. With the income I expect in retirement, and seeing what they are doing, it looks like the only "traveling" I'll be doing is to the mailbox across the street.
It is that frugality that enables many to continue saving and investing in retirement. That is part of continual financial planning.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 PM

437 posts, read 616,733 times
Quote:
This looks like fun. Has anyone thought of doing something like this?
Considering it quite seriously, actually. It helps being single without strong ties. Believe it or not, one of the more difficult considerations is how to downsize to the level of being able to essentially live out of a suitcase. It would be best, I think, to try it on for size for a year before making any significant decisions regarding disposing of real property.

From my budgeting point of view, it looks like the airfare is the big question mark. Airbnb turns up some very reasonable apartment rentals in each of the areas I've considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or