U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,658 posts, read 40,029,981 times

Advertisements

start in France at $1750 per month, and if you can't swing it... land in Vietnam for 1/3rd that amount

The World's 9 Most Affordable Places to Retire

Actually, I have been to most, and these are viable options for 'mid / long term stays'.

Travel or retirement living.

As much as France gets a bad wrap... the country stays and people I met near Pau and Carcassonne were extremely friendly and helpful.

I was in Ipoh last month and it was quite enjoyable and affordable. Especially medical and their 'retirement promotions'. Malaysia My Second Home Official Portal - MM2H Official Portal

These are yet another option to 'travel-on-the-cheap'. you can LIVE some much cheaper than tourist, and many international destinations have furnished apartments for under $1000/ month (most under $500), yet less than one hour by train to city.

I have been traveling worldwide. via $10/ night guest homes for 25+ yrs.

Works for me and millions of others, but certainly won't for the nay-sayers here who must espouse their keystroke displeasure with those of us actually DOING it...

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

YMMV

By far the best way I prefer to travel is being PAID to see the world! My Temp job is hanging in there and providing just that, including Funds for my Spouse to join + 'battle-pay' of sorts! And 5 * hotels (which I seldom use), I prefer local 'digs'. BTDT with the ritzy crowd... enough of THAT!.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,796,477 times
It wouldn't be hard to travel around on a typical retirement income of $3000 per month or so. Mexico, Central America, South America, Asia.... At this very moment, there are thousands of backpacking kids doing just that. I've done it myself.
For example, traveling around Southeast Asia can be a piece of cake. You can easily find places to stay for $20 a night or so, and you can easily eat for under $10 a day. Do a few months here, in a few months there, and a few months somewhere else. Nothing could be simpler.

The real expense comes if you're also trying to maintain some sort of residence in the United States. Even in the best of circumstances, that wouldn't be cheap.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,952,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
start in France at $1750 per month, and if you can't swing it... land in Vietnam for 1/3rd that amount

The World's 9 Most Affordable Places to Retire

Actually, I have been to most, and these are viable options for 'mid / long term stays'.

Travel or retirement living.

As much as France gets a bad wrap... the country stays and people I met near Pau and Carcassonne were extremely friendly and helpful.

I was in Ipoh last month and it was quite enjoyable and affordable. Especially medical and their 'retirement promotions'. Malaysia My Second Home Official Portal - MM2H Official Portal

These are yet another option to 'travel-on-the-cheap'. you can LIVE some much cheaper than tourist, and many international destinations have furnished apartments for under $1000/ month (most under $500), yet less than one hour by train to city.

I have been traveling worldwide. via $10/ night guest homes for 25+ yrs.

Works for me and millions of others, but certainly won't for the nay-sayers here who must espouse their keystroke displeasure with those of us actually DOING it...

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

YMMV

By far the best way I prefer to travel is being PAID to see the world! My Temp job is hanging in there and providing just that, including Funds for my Spouse to join + 'battle-pay' of sorts! And 5 * hotels (which I seldom use), I prefer local 'digs'. BTDT with the ritzy crowd... enough of THAT!.
A very useful and actionable post! Thanks for putting it together. Congrats on your temp job hanging in there - nothing like being paid to travel. Best wishes to you!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 PM

4,188 posts, read 2,599,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
It wouldn't be hard to travel around on a typical retirement income of $3000 per month or so. Mexico, Central America, South America, Asia.... At this very moment, there are thousands of backpacking kids doing just that. I've done it myself.
Big difference between traveling when you are 20's or 30's and 60's or later. Sleeping in train stations while waiting for the next 3rd class train is a big adventure when you are 21. When you are 65 it is more like my aching back can't take this anymore.

I had tons of fun traveling on a budget back in the day. Now, I look forward to going on a 3 week trip, staying in nice boutique hotels and sampling the best of the local cuisine, and then going home and recuperating for 4 months. No way would I want to live out of a suitcase for more than a month or two.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,796,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Big difference between traveling when you are 20's or 30's and 60's or later. Sleeping in train stations while waiting for the next 3rd class train is a big adventure when you are 21. When you are 65 it is more like my aching back can't take this anymore.

I had tons of fun traveling on a budget back in the day. Now, I look forward to going on a 3 week trip, staying in nice boutique hotels and sampling the best of the local cuisine, and then going home and recuperating for 4 months. No way would I want to live out of a suitcase for more than a month or two.
Actually, it's not really that hard. For example, Southeast Asia is filled with little mom-and-pop guesthouses. You can rent a room for $20 a night so. And believe it or not, they can be pretty comfortable, with all the modern conveniences. Cable TV, air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, daily maid service, etc. All the comforts of home.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times
Yep;traveled a lot with a tent when young and love it. Not for me any more tho.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:18 PM

4,188 posts, read 2,599,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Actually, it's not really that hard. For example, Southeast Asia is filled with little mom-and-pop guesthouses. You can rent a room for $20 a night so. And believe it or not, they can be pretty comfortable, with all the modern conveniences. Cable TV, air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, daily maid service, etc. All the comforts of home.
Yes, all true. My wife and I just got back from a month in Thailand and Cambodia. Wonderful time. And cheap. But still, I was glad to get home. Our next trip is to Italy. That one will not be cheap. But again, we are only going for 3 weeks. I hate to say this as it will sound really lame, but we always have to scramble to find someone to watch our good buddy - our 11 year old dog, and I start worrying about her after 3 weeks or so. She is old and creaky and my worst nightmare is that she dies while we are not there. I know, silly to let a dog affect how we live.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:33 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,856,396 times
Quote:
Yes, all true. My wife and I just got back from a month in Thailand and Cambodia. Wonderful time. And cheap. But still, I was glad to get home. Our next trip is to Italy. That one will not be cheap. But again, we are only going for 3 weeks. I hate to say this as it will sound really lame, but we always have to scramble to find someone to watch our good buddy - our 11 year old dog, and I start worrying about her after 3 weeks or so. She is old and creaky and my worst nightmare is that she dies while we are not there. I know, silly to let a dog affect how we live.

I am on your side here. We will adjust our lives based on the dog as well. We are not retired yet and we have an older dog now nearing 11 years old. I am sure we will take a break from having a dog in the house as we do some traveling into retirement. In later years I will want a dog again for companionship and we will more likely be doing local trips where we can take a dog with us.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 AM

19,844 posts, read 19,937,680 times
Quote:
I know, silly to let a dog affect how we live.

Not to all of us.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,658 posts, read 40,029,981 times
My 14 yr old Choc Lab (farm dog) is fine to stay home alone for a few months and protect the cats from the many wild animals that so love to munch on our cats...

He still loves to hunt all day and come home 'dog-tired' (As I am while on international travel!)

He has never seen the inside of the house (except a rug by the door on a couple blizzarding nights), or been bound by a fence, or leash. He is plenty happy with the neighbor coming over every week or so to top off the food dish. And he never complains when we come home to fix his favorite (Blueberry Pancakes). I make it a point to NOT be gone during Blueberry season, as he is a very good picker! He sniffs around til he finds the ripe ones. He and the cats also guard the birds away from their Berries. The only person he won't let on the property is the Tax Assessor (good dog!)

I asked the neighbor to take my dog some meatloaf sandwiches last week while I am in Asia. (speaking of dogs...). I know I'm in a very special part of Asia when the dogs are FAT and happy! Today I had to drive around several who were 'parked' in the street in the cool of the morning. I even saw a beautiful Choc Lab in Bangkok sitting out in front of a jewelry shop (He better watch out for dognappers hired by Cruella De Vil!!)

Pet-sitting for others is a great way to travel cheap!
I know several folks who found their retirement haven by offering to pet sit somewhere they hoped to move. Free house and friendly pets and happy owners who get to take a break!

I do 'pet-sitting' to a bit more of extent by offering to care for farm / livestock so people can travel (usually to funerals and weddings... as farmers don't really get away much, especially Dairy Farmers who are more than happy for me to come!.) It is really helpful for them, and my dog is plenty happy to stay home alone. (He's kinda independent, has a low social need, and is low maintenance... we get along REAL well and see 'eye-2-eye' on most things (Except Meatloaf sandwiches, which I HATE and he LOVES (good dog.)

I'm afraid he has seen his last Christmas, and he will be missed (I have had 2 Choc and 3 Black labs, all VERY good, and NONE has ever messed in my yard! They go off into the farm fields or woods, but I have never stumbled into their 'do' in 50+ yrs).

Good Dog, Happy Dog, well adjusted dog!, never to be 'captured / fenced / kenneled'....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or