U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times

Advertisements

This looks like fun. Has anyone thought of doing something like this?

How to travel the world in retirement and not go broke

The couple haven't been doing this long as the story goes. I wonder how long they can keep that up. They are a relatively new couple have seven grands from what I read 4 daughters (2 from each former mariage).

Anyway we want to do some travel ourselves but we will not give up our roots here to just go where the wind takes us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:28 AM

71,490 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Learn to row!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Learn to row!

Owwww! my aching back!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 AM

8,187 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
This looks like fun. Has anyone thought of doing something like this?

How to travel the world in retirement and not go broke
Absolutely. We're planning on doing something very similar with only a couple of modifications from their plan. For one, we're going to keep our condo in Miami Beach as a base to come back to every so often, similar to their ongoing itinerary of returning to FL, TX, & CA occasionally to visit family. Unlike a house, there's not much involved in keeping a condo locked up for occasional use. Another option would be to hire a manager and simply rent it out through vrbo or similar site for when we're not here. Secondly, we will not undertake this until our 11-yr-old cocker spaniel is no longer with us. (There is no way we'd give him away like the other couple did with their dog.) Once that happens, we'll probably be on the road for 8-9 months/year.

We already travel extensively, and have plans to visit Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand for two months next Jan-March, and then a similar trip to Argentina and Brazil for two months in Jan-Feb 2016. My wife and a friend are headed to Sorrento, Italy for a month at the end of May. And speaking of travel, we also like repositioning transatlantic cruises. From the article: One of their favorite modes of transportation is repositioning voyages, which is when cruise lines move their ships seasonally and offer great bargains, she says. "We've crossed the Atlantic four times like that."

They really are great bargains. You can take a two-week cruise for much less than even a one-week Caribbean cruise. We've gone for as little as $499/pp. The prices are so great that in my first full year of retirement, we went on three transatlantic cruises all in the same calendar year. In May we took a 16-day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome (with several stops in Spain). That October, we traveled westbound from Barcelona to New Orleans. And then less than two weeks after we had returned home in November, we flew from Las Vegas to Rome to board another westbound transatlantic cruiseship, this time from Rome to Miami. Of course, we also spent several days in each of those cities as well.

As I've said here many times previously, the main reason we chose to retire early was so that we could travel extensively around the world. I can't imagine anything better than to be totally unencumbered and just going from place to place for months at a time throughout the year.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM

8,763 posts, read 7,695,901 times
Cheap way to do it. Camp and ride a bicycle. Its quite possible to cross the country in a month or two.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 AM

8,187 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
From the article: One of their favorite modes of transportation is repositioning voyages, which is when cruise lines move their ships seasonally and offer great bargains, she says. "We've crossed the Atlantic four times like that."

They really are great bargains. You can take a two-week cruise for much less than even a one-week Caribbean cruise. We've gone for as little as $499/pp. The prices are so great that in my first full year of retirement, we went on three transatlantic cruises all in the same calendar year. In May we took a 16-day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome (with several stops in Spain). That October, we traveled westbound from Barcelona to New Orleans. And then less than two weeks after we had returned home in November, we flew from Las Vegas to Rome to board another westbound transatlantic cruiseship, this time from Rome to Miami. Of course, we also spent several days in each of those cities as well.
My wife just reminded me that we actually did four transatlantic cruises in a 12-month period (albeit not in the same calendar year). In addition to the three in the above post, we went on an eastbound transatlantic cruise from Miami to Malaga the following April. We then spent a couple of weeks in Spain before flying home from Madrid.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:04 AM

176 posts, read 509,797 times
"They live on income from their investments (about $6,000 a month), Social Security and a small pension." In other words this looks like about $10,000/month or $120,000/year.

Very few retirees have this much income.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,062 times
For starters the couple is starting out with a reasonably comfortable retirement income - $6K per month from investments, +SS +small pension. They're home-free, so no mortgage or taxes. I assume there's no home state to file in if you don't own a home or have a rental in the states? No car either. I like it. Alternating between higher and lower cost areas is a great way to recoup some finanaces month over month. Renting a house or apartment is the perfect way to avoid the high cost of hotels, eating out and tipping everyone. You can spend so much more time travelling if you rent. You can avoid the tourist seasons and take your time planning and visiting the sites you want to see. Think I might want to check out their book and blog.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
"They live on income from their investments (about $6,000 a month), Social Security and a small pension." In other words this looks like about $10,000/month or $120,000/year.

Very few retirees have this much income.
True but that is not a huge amount either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
For starters the couple is starting out with a reasonably comfortable retirement income - $6K per month from investments, +SS +small pension. They're home-free, so no mortgage or taxes. I assume there's no home state to file in if you don't own a home or have a rental in the states? No car either. I like it. Alternating between higher and lower cost areas is a great way to recoup some finanaces month over month. Renting a house or apartment is the perfect way to avoid the high cost of hotels, eating out and tipping everyone. You can spend so much more time travelling if you rent. You can avoid the tourist seasons and take your time planning and visiting the sites you want to see. Think I might want to check out their book and blog.

Not sure that there is no home base. They will still need a place to send their check so...... there is a home base. I am not sure how that works and SS needs a location as well.

As for the wife and I, we will be in that same boat of income. We will do our travel early in our lives so that we are in the best of health as we do it. As we get older the location will be important for our home base so that is really what brought us (me) to this forum. Getting good ideas and suggestions from all of you. Having this place to network is very good. So many of you are down to earth and good people and though we have never met I feel like a lot of you are extended family.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:28 AM

3,750 posts, read 9,600,559 times
I also noted the income and could do a lot with that. "Pension, SS AND 6000 a month from investment income."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or