U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM

212 posts, read 753,080 times

Advertisements

Would you retire now or next year, take social security and try to find a part time near your house or on stay on your job to 66 if your bored and tavel costs $3500 a year and a pain traveling

now On Job 2 .5 years in nonprofit(35 people). Other than year end and first week each month I don't have enough work. Many days I have a lot of hours with no work, so I search web My boss does not care so I am so bored and nuts. No luck in getting more work. I love to work pt and get social security in a year.

age 63 retirement age 66
salary $46,000
company benefits
14 days vac now. will have max of 20 days in 3 years,
6 personal days
12 sick days carried over to 30 days max
half Fridays in summer
have oxford liberty medical epo- free right now not sure next year
cost $3,200 a year transporation (metro north)
spouse still working. 5 yrs younger

Last edited by captnemo; 04-11-2014 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: dont like title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 02:10 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
If you are under full retirement age, you can earn $15,480 (2014 limit). After that, they deduct $1 from your SS payments for every $2 you earn above that annual limit.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 PM

212 posts, read 753,080 times
so at age 63 or 64 how difficult is it to get a pt job. I have done accounting for 35 years, but not a cpa.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:09 PM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
I know someone who was the head of the accounting dept of a major aerospace company for 30 years, but did not ever bother to get a CPA because he thought he'd never need it. The company closed its doors here and relocated to the west coast, a move which his family strongly opposed. So there he was in his mid fifties and looking for work. It took him the better part of a year to find something and it was a huge step down moneywise, and involved a commute to NYC which he hated. And that was in a BETTER economy than we have today! Almost every prospective employer for positions similar to the one he'd had, told him "Your experience is great, but if only you were a CPA...."

I can tell you from personal experience that it is very tough for a mid-60s person to get any kind of job, even part time, even with good experience and qualifications. You'll be competing against people who are 20 or even 30 years younger. Of course much depends on your location.

IMHO, in your situation a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush (even if it's a boring bird, lol).

ETA: I re-read your original post and see that you mention Metro North, so we're talking about the same area here (tri-state), I assume. The person I described above used to work for Grumman.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:51 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,527,824 times
If you don't need a job with health benefits (e.g., your spouses job offers benefits or you can get ACA), you might try the temp agencies. My brother is an accountant in Houston and has worked temp agency jobs over the years in between permanent positions. You may have to work full time for a few months and then take the rest of the year off.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:53 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
Agree that at your age (and even younger) very, very difficult to find any job but with your background you could probably work for HR Block or that type of firm during busy seasons Small not for profit, with not much work to do...this place where you work may not even be around that long. But I'd hang in there...I know those last few years are hard to put in the time but it might be worth it and every week you work you have money to support yourself. And don't underestimate that free healthcare...that is worth it's weight in gold!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 PM

14,412 posts, read 7,932,198 times
Three years will come and go before you know it. I'd stay put.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Agree that at your age (and even younger) very, very difficult to find any job but with your background you could probably work for HR Block or that type of firm during busy seasons Small not for profit, with not much work to do...this place where you work may not even be around that long. But I'd hang in there...I know those last few years are hard to put in the time but it might be worth it and every week you work you have money to support yourself. And don't underestimate that free healthcare...that is worth it's weight in gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Three years will come and go before you know it. I'd stay put.
I agree with the posters above. Unless the boredom is driving you straight up the wall, bite the bullet and hang in there. Many people would love to have a job with few demands and little stress.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
Many people our age would love to have a job, period. ;-)

Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,350,381 times
Quote:
Many days I have a lot of hours with no work
Would your boss allow you to "work from home" 3 days a week during these non-busy times? That would cut commuting costs, you could always be available by cell phone, and you could get started exploring what kind of activities you would like to do during retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement