U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:39 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,442,342 times

Advertisements

Only if it's late and I've worked really hard on my 2 acres: shoveling, wheel-barrowing, that sort of thing - then yes, I'll nod off. Otherwise, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:48 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
I used to take my best naps in front of the TV. I used to choose just the right black and white movie to sleep to. Now I don't get my naps in as frequently and when I do someone else is watching TV so I go lay down in the bedroom.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 PM

255 posts, read 233,641 times
My husband claims he's only "resting" his eyes. That's when I grab the remote

Old 04-12-2014, 09:06 PM

9,751 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I dozed off while watching Skyfall (007 movie with Daniel Craig ) in a theater.
In my defense, it was one of those upscale movie places with lounge type chairs and they serve drinks.
Wow, that would do it, even if you weren't sleepy.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:34 PM

2,431 posts, read 1,667,352 times
I'm usually exhausted at the end of each day, so nodding off in the evening does happen. If I'm not babysitting the grands, I'm trying to catch up on jobs/ chores when the grands aren't here. Having fun makes me more tired than anything: twice this week I rode my bike to the grands, swam and chased the kid around in their pool and then rode the long way home.

I listen to TV and knit or spin at night, I try not to burn daylight hours with these activities. Knitting can be so repetitive and meditative, I doze off and find the knitting needles still in my hands when I wake up.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-12-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 AM

39,537 posts, read 47,722,769 times
Nodding off watching TV is just another one of our rite of passages as we get older.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:13 AM

10,813 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Nodding off watching TV is just another one of our rite of passages as we get older.
It is! And beyond that, it's a perk. We're relaxed and don't have to worry about climbing into bed or setting the alarm.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:18 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,420,209 times
We watch shows on the DVR. My wife will fall asleep during the show. She used to wake up and ask "How'd it end?". After explaining show endings for the millionth time, my stock answer now is, " They all died".

She doesn't ask anymore.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 AM

34,686 posts, read 33,686,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post

Anyone else found themselves turning into a "nodding watcher" as they've gotten older?
Yes, but it's just because I don't get enough sleep when I go to bed.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:00 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,763,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't care for most of what is on television either but I don't blame it on the quality. Television executives create TV programming to appeal to the people advertisers want to sell products to. If you are retired, or even close to it, that is likely not you. It's a business decision that has nothing to do with art or charity.

Each generation has its own tastes, interests, and sense of humor. I can remember 40 or so years ago when Saturday Night Live first came on the air. Many people my parents age thought it was terrible and "not funny at all." My generation made it a sensation. Today the very generation that made SNL iconic says, "That isn't funny at all." Same with the current national obsession with zombies and people with "special powers." I couldn't care less. But there are millions in this country who think it's the greatest thing going and they are the age that most advertisers cater to. There's nothing wrong with the quality. The content just doesn't appeal to you, usually because it wasn't designed to.

Americans who can't or don't want to keep up with trends still have more options for entertainment than any generation that every lived. My parents had four channels to watch. I have more than 40. If I still don't like what's on them, I have a public library that's full of DVDs of old television programs and old movies I can borrow for free. If I'm willing to spend a little, I can subscribe to a service like Netflix and even have access to entertainment from other countries, let alone every American genre imaginable. I can listen to music. I can read. I can watch news or sports. I can surf the internet, which Louis C.K. would describe as "a great, big, vast world that you've seen none percent of."

"When people are bored, it is primarily with their own selves that they are bored." —Eric Hoffer
Eric Hoffer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What you are talking about is called demographics. It was a sad day when i realized I was out of the targeted demographics for just about everything. I had a career in marketing and I knew it would eventually come but it was still a shock to realize nothing was aimed at me and my age group except prescription meds, adult diapers, etc. Watch all 3 network
s evening news and you will see what I mean. Erectile dysfunction, arthritis meds are the usual sponsors.

Regarding falling asleep while watching TV.... What kills me is I can fall asleep very rapidly during some shows but the minute i get up and go to bed I'm wide awake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or