U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm not much of a TV watcher although there are a few shows I enjoy. If I sit in my recliner and the TV is on it's a good bet I'll nap for an hour or two.
My recliner is big and soooo comfy. When I walk in the door it says "Sit in me, sit in me!" but soon as I do it starts to whisper, "Go to sleeeeep!", and I do. LOL Thought about this thread last night when I 'finally' woke up and went to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:18 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Great, another medical condition to worry about, LOL

I do know that I snore but unfortunately due to lower back problems I have to sleep on my back and with only one pillow under my head. My spine has to be as 'straight' as possible. I have no problem falling asleep (a book does it in 15 minutes or less, lol) but I can only sleep for 5 1/2 hrs straight before waking up. I will "half doze" off and on for up to another hour. I can't nap during the day though, because as someone else said, if I find myself nodding off while watching a show I will be wide awake as soon as I get up from the chair. I never could nap during the day at all, for some reason.

I know that if I had to use one of those CPAP machines for apnea I would never get any sleep at all, which would be counterproductive, to say the least, LOL
I know I used to snore. I got plenty of grief about it when I was married. I expect I still do but nobody to gripe at me. I don't think the cats care.

My son has to use a CPAP machine. It took him a while to get used to it but doesn't mind anymore. It helps him to sleep and that's all he cares.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,552 times
I figure it's a catch-22 because in order to diagnose sleep apnea the patient has to have a sleep study done, right? And I would definitely "fail" that, because (other than the recent-years tv sleepiness, lol) ANY change in routine or environment will prevent me falling asleep; can't do a sleep study if ya can't sleep, lol. When I used to travel, I'd be lucky if I got 2 hours of sleep per night in a hotel simply because the bed wasn't my usual. If there's anything new, different or uncomfortable, it'll keep me awake; I did that 2-week tooth whitening thing some years ago, and just wearing the "trays" kept me from falling asleep for hours and hours, lol. I don't normally go out in the evening but if I do, it screws up my entire routine and even if I get into bed at the usual time (between 11 and 11:30) I will be still wide awake at 3 am, instead of falling asleep over a book before midnight.

But if I keep to my usual routine, which includes no computer after 8pm, I fall asleep just fine. Just wish I could sleep past 5:30 or 5:45! I've tried all the tricks, including the "sleep reduction" method. My brain/body just laughed at that one. Go to sleep at midnight? The body/brain flips the "on" switch at 5:30. Go to sleep at 10pm? the "on" switch will be flipped at 3:30. Ugh.

When I was younger I slept 7 hours a night like clockwork. But something got reprogrammed somewhere along the line, lol. Apparantly there is no "reset" button. ;-)

Last edited by Never2L8; 04-14-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
I think I'm going to nod off while posting. After all it's nap time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or