Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 PM

730 posts, read 1,294,562 times

Advertisements

When I was younger (meaning before age 60) I *never* had the slightest tendency to nod off while watching tv (this includes watching a movie on dvd or vcr, btw). But I swear the older I get the more likely I am to find myself sliding into that "dozing" state and it doesn't even matter what time of day it is. :-/

That said, it's less likely to happen if I'm really engrossed in what I'm watching but even so, there've been a few instances when I've suddenly realized that whoops, I've missed the past 10 minutes and now I have NO idea what the bleep is going on in the plot, lol

Anyone else found themselves turning into a "nodding watcher" as they've gotten older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:50 PM

332 posts, read 502,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post

Anyone else found themselves turning into a "nodding watcher" as they've gotten older?
No. Because I've been doing just that for decades!

Old 04-12-2014, 01:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,908,951 times
I nod off while watching TV, reading, and listening to the old man.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:56 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,912,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
No. Because I've been doing just that for decades!
Bada bing here, just second nature. Can't watch tv from 8-11 without missing at least one show. Don't even try just let the spirit snooze me.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,811,618 times
I do all the time. We still have minors at home and they laugh at me snoring and sometimes even drooling while "watching TV". I'm like a cat. I eat and then I need to sleep but I can't sleep at night.

I've hit on somewhat of a strange schedule. After the news, about 7:30 I'm very sleepy so I go to bed. I sleep about 2 hours, get up, read or watch something on my nexus or play on the computer- all screen things which are not conducive for sleeping- until I decide to take my evening meds then I'm ready for my next sleep cycle at around 12:30 or 1 a.m. Because of my sleep issues DH and I have had separate bedrooms for about 5 years. Works for us.

BTW we Tivo anything we want to watch together and sometimes- about 2 times a week- we can watch something together before I doze off. Some voices really put me to sleep and some stories i would never sleep through.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:06 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,533,525 times
Sounds like someone is not getting good rest at night to me possibly.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,131,403 times
And it's especially frustrating when it's a show you were looking forward to watching.

Thank The Lord for On Demand!

Old 04-12-2014, 02:18 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,428,138 times
I believe it is because what we are watching is so awful. TV, etc. have really deteriorated.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:45 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,199,136 times
Let me put it this way, say there is a 2 hour program coming on later in the week, starting at 9:00 PM, that I really wish to see. If so, training starts a couple of days before the event. That means cut way down on the caffeine and get plenty of sleep. If fail to do so, it is about 50-50 as to whether or not I make it to 11 o'clock and view the show in it's entirety without dozing off.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,248,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I believe it is because what we are watching is so awful. TV, etc. have really deteriorated.
I don't care for most of what is on television either but I don't blame it on the quality. Television executives create TV programming to appeal to the people advertisers want to sell products to. If you are retired, or even close to it, that is likely not you. It's a business decision that has nothing to do with art or charity.

Each generation has its own tastes, interests, and sense of humor. I can remember 40 or so years ago when Saturday Night Live first came on the air. Many people my parents age thought it was terrible and "not funny at all." My generation made it a sensation. Today the very generation that made SNL iconic says, "That isn't funny at all." Same with the current national obsession with zombies and people with "special powers." I couldn't care less. But there are millions in this country who think it's the greatest thing going and they are the age that most advertisers cater to. There's nothing wrong with the quality. The content just doesn't appeal to you, usually because it wasn't designed to.

Americans who can't or don't want to keep up with trends still have more options for entertainment than any generation that every lived. My parents had four channels to watch. I have more than 40. If I still don't like what's on them, I have a public library that's full of DVDs of old television programs and old movies I can borrow for free. If I'm willing to spend a little, I can subscribe to a service like Netflix and even have access to entertainment from other countries, let alone every American genre imaginable. I can listen to music. I can read. I can watch news or sports. I can surf the internet, which Louis C.K. would describe as "a great, big, vast world that you've seen none percent of."

"When people are bored, it is primarily with their own selves that they are bored." —Eric Hoffer
Eric Hoffer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement