Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:30 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
When I was younger (meaning before age 60) I *never* had the slightest tendency to nod off while watching tv (this includes watching a movie on dvd or vcr, btw). But I swear the older I get the more likely I am to find myself sliding into that "dozing" state and it doesn't even matter what time of day it is. :-/

That said, it's less likely to happen if I'm really engrossed in what I'm watching but even so, there've been a few instances when I've suddenly realized that whoops, I've missed the past 10 minutes and now I have NO idea what the bleep is going on in the plot, lol

Anyone else found themselves turning into a "nodding watcher" as they've gotten older?
I Never nodded off. Simply couldn't even if I wanted to.
However, now if I close my eyes for a second, I find I have lost time.
It's an eerie feeling for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 03:47 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
In times past, pre-TV, that is, people didn't fall asleep in the middle of the entertainment - they were the entertainment. People entertained one another. They learned to play an instrument, and that included rudimentary things like spoons. They memorized long epic poems and recited with appropriate, or what they thought was appropriate, emoting. They sang. They danced. Yes, even the men danced.

Watching TV is so passive and so repetitive. The mind just dozes off because you know this show will be on again...and again...and again.

Some nights I'm falling asleep and it's only eight o'clock and other nights I'm still awake at - gasp! - eleven PM. Go figure.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:27 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Hahaha . . . I usually fall asleep watching baseball, if my team is losing.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:49 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,503 times
I'm so glad they invented instant live TV rewind. There have been many times when I have "dozed off" near the end of a mystery. Now I get to rewind and actually find out who did it.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
When I was younger (meaning before age 60) I *never* had the slightest tendency to nod off while watching tv (this includes watching a movie on dvd or vcr, btw). But I swear the older I get the more likely I am to find myself sliding into that "dozing" state and it doesn't even matter what time of day it is. :-/

That said, it's less likely to happen if I'm really engrossed in what I'm watching but even so, there've been a few instances when I've suddenly realized that whoops, I've missed the past 10 minutes and now I have NO idea what the bleep is going on in the plot, lol

Anyone else found themselves turning into a "nodding watcher" as they've gotten older?
I haven't done it any less since I got older, but I have to admit I've nodded off in front of the TV ever since I can remember.

I've even fallen asleep during exciting movies! I remember falling asleep during the original Star Wars movie- that was in the late 70's I think. How lame is that?

Old 04-12-2014, 04:56 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I believe it is because what we are watching is so awful. TV, etc. have really deteriorated.
You can find lots of great TV on PBS, AMC, and the History Channel. I find TV nowadays to be somewhat better than the days of yore.

I fall asleep watching TV only if I am overly tired. I only watch maybe 4 hours a week.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I believe it is because what we are watching is so awful. TV, etc. have really deteriorated.
Speak for yourself, there are quality shows out there.

I nod off even while streaming my favorite shows, including acclaimed series like Breaking Bad, Justified, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, Sherlock, and Last Tango in Halifax.

Often I think I've just closed my eyes for a moment and it turns out I've missed 10-15 minutes. Thank goodness for rewind!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:11 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I've even fallen asleep during exciting movies! I remember falling asleep during the original Star Wars movie- that was in the late 70's I think. How lame is that?
I dozed off while watching Skyfall (007 movie with Daniel Craig ) in a theater.
In my defense, it was one of those upscale movie places with lounge type chairs and they serve drinks.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:13 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
My main gripe is too many ignorant and loud commercials.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:15 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:

In your younger days were you sitting on something less comfortable, reclining, or laying down?

What about now, when you watching TV is it in a favorite recliner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement