Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times

Advertisements

[quote=Travelassie;34339739]I haven't done it any less since I got older, but I have to admit I've nodded off in front of the TV ever since I can remember.

I've even fallen asleep during exciting movies! I remember falling asleep during the original Star Wars movie- that was in the late 70's I think. How lame is that?[/quote]

I did the same thing! In fact it's the main reason I quit going to movies. I fell asleep every.single.time! I finally decided it was partly because of that big bright screen that made my eyes kind of hurt so I'd close them to 'rest' them and next thing you know I'm being woken up to go home! What a waste of money.

I fall asleep watching TV too but that's usually because I'm so wiped out from work I can't keep my eyes open past about 8 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:44 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
When I was younger (meaning before age 60) I *never* had the slightest tendency to nod off while watching tv (this includes watching a movie on dvd or vcr, btw). But I swear the older I get the more likely I am to find myself sliding into that "dozing" state and it doesn't even matter what time of day it is. :-/

That said, it's less likely to happen if I'm really engrossed in what I'm watching but even so, there've been a few instances when I've suddenly realized that whoops, I've missed the past 10 minutes and now I have NO idea what the bleep is going on in the plot, lol

Anyone else found themselves turning into a "nodding watcher" as they've gotten older?
I konk out while watching TV sometimes too. Maybe the chair is too comfortable and you are burning the candle at both ends because you want to get more things done each day.

There's an easy fix for missing the TV programming. I have a computer system setup that records almost all of the TV programs I watch. It can record 6 programs at the same time. I can watch the recorded TV from any TV in my home. There's no monthly fee for the system. The system automatically skips the commercials or I can skip the commercials manually. So, I don't waste my time watching commercials, which are about 1/3 of TV. If I missing something, is't very easy to go back and catch the part I missed. I can then watch the ABC, NBC, and CBS news one after another. I never have to make a choice between programs that are aired at the same time. The system drastically improves TV, since you watch better programming, not programming you can 'happen' to find while surfing channels. The TV commercials are virtually gone from your life too. Watching TV is painful when visiting relatives that don't want to go through the effort to setup a computer system to record TV like that. I have to watch commercials when visiting the relatives, but they don't watch commercials when visiting us. I'm not sure why they are willing to put up with watching commercials. I've been watching TV for about a decade that way. The technology has been available for a long time.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,148 times
Default Nodding Off

I like to read at night before I go to bed. I start nodding off while I'm reading. Finally, I put the bookmark in where I left off and go to bed. The next day, I have to go back and reread the entire last chapter as I have no idea what I was reading...just a blur of words that my brain did not process due to my drowsiness!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:22 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
It started in my early-30s when I was reading my kids good-night stories. I'm 71 tomorrow, working 1/2 time and sleeping soundly for 5 hours a night. I work from 7AM-3PM. I doze off in front of the TV around 6PM for about 20 minutes and am up until 1AM or more. Life is like that. Don't sweat it.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I wish. I have a hard time sleeping, chronic insomnia. So I could probably sit there bored to tears with a 4 hour movie while sitting in a comfy recliner and still be awake.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:59 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I went through a period of insomnia, so I can't say it was chronic...fortunately. I overcame it by counting backwards first by twos, then by threes, sixes and ultimately sevens. It took a while to get by sevens and I never got the last three down pat, so i had to do the math in my head. I think what that did was a) shut out other thoughts and b) bore me to sleep or at least get my brain tired. Anyway, I am very fortunate that i tried this, because i sleep soundly again without having to resort to this trick.

(I also worked on evaluating first derivatives for different functional forms, but that came much easier and didn't put me to sleep)!

Both my wives have been chronic insomniacs. It's really tough on them. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:13 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
My husband claims he's only "resting" his eyes. That's when I grab the remote
I have one of them too!

and I have to use all my ninja skills to slowly and quietly pry the remote out of his hand without waking him.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:19 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Heck i fall asleep watching Shark Week

Old 04-13-2014, 04:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
When I was younger (meaning before age 60) I *never* had the slightest tendency to nod off while watching tv (this includes watching a movie on dvd or vcr, btw). But I swear the older I get the more likely I am to find myself sliding into that "dozing" state and it doesn't even matter what time of day it is. :-/

That said, it's less likely to happen if I'm really engrossed in what I'm watching but even so, there've been a few instances when I've suddenly realized that whoops, I've missed the past 10 minutes and now I have NO idea what the bleep is going on in the plot, lol

Anyone else found themselves turning into a "nodding watcher" as they've gotten older?
This is common with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is more common with age and overweight. Truly, you should look into it. It may be affecting you and you dont know it. It can take years off your life and make you more accident prone as well.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:04 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
My main gripe is too many ignorant and loud commercials.
The loud commercials scare me awake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement