U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times

Advertisements

Here is a piece I found this morning that I think interesting. Let's see how many of you do as well

7 Retirement Expectations You're Getting All Wrong

1) I'll spend more time with family and friends.

I know I don't spend much time with my dad now. I have too many things going on to be able to travel the 3 hours to visit.

2) I'll get to do all the things I don't have time to do now.

Yeah that is going to happen. I can already see the honey do list now, oh my aching back.

3) It's ideal if both my mate and I can retire at the same time.

Is that a myth or a pipe dream.

4) It's fine if I retire and my mate keeps working.

Now who is retiring first DH or DW.

5) I'll still be important to my work colleagues.

I expect that once out of my office they will blame all the bad things that now have to be changed on to my poor leadership and work skills. I know I did when I worked at the electronics shop. If I picked up a job and the parts ordered didnt fix the problem I blamed the other guy.

6) My retirement "visual' is walking hand-in-hand along an exotic beach somewhere.

Is this the Bo Derek dream I keep having? Hmmmmm

7) I won't be alone.

This is a sad one in that yes generally one spouse outlives the other. In my household my mother in law out lived her husband now by 10 years and going strong. In my family it is backwards where my mother passed away and my father seems to be going to live on for several more years.

All in all though the list picks generally the typical myths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
1. I won't have more time with my family as I am moving away from most of them at my husbands retirement

2. I have plenty of time now since I don't work but being disabled I also have no energy to do things, and I will also not have ANY money to do them later, and I will be caring for disabled husband.

3. Well we will both be "retired" at the same time but as I say I will be "trying" to take care of a progressively disabled husband.

4. N/A

5. I doubt my husband will have much contact with any of his former collegues, he chats with a few on linked in occasionally now, but that will not continue much I don't think/

6. Glad we did cruises already, cannot afford them now and even less in retirement and neither of us can walk on a beach.

7. Hopefully it will be me that is alone as he will need more care than I will in the future, IF THINGS go as they are now. I however have more diseases than he does, just his is more degenerative. So who knows, but as I say I hope he goes first and before the really nasty part of his PD kicks in. Though being disabled myself and trying to make if on reduced SS only will not be fun. I have paid for a life ins. policy on him for over 20 years and trying to keep it in force, but with my luck will probably not be able to afford it and it will lapse two weeks before he dies or something like that.

So I think my retirement expectations are pretty much in line with reality!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post

This is a sad one in that yes generally one spouse outlives the other.
I think you can drop the word "generally."

Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
The only thing that applied to me was number five. My supervisor told me when I quit that she would not be able to hold down the fort without me and she was correct. She was moved to another less stressful and demanding department. But the person who replaced her was far more competent than she so the department's dependency came to an end.

Since I was not married and still am not, none of the spouse situations applies to me. The beach thing doesn't because I hadn't planned on it nor does spending more time with family because I am miles away from them. Actually I will soon be moving much closer to a sister and a cousin so that happen but it was never an expectation of retirement. I am no more no less alone than before. I am getting as much done as ever. It is a disability not retirement that has slowed me down.

Where do they come up with these things anyway?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 PM

29,773 posts, read 34,856,103 times
3 and 6 were part of the game plan and are now reality. A shout out to Money Magazine for the vision and game plan help.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:53 PM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
1) I'll spend more time with family and friends.

We did not know anyone here before settling here. It would not have made any difference where we picked. Friends scatter to the winds.

I have been able to re-connect on-line with many old friends that we knew long ago. I was never able to re-connect like this when I was working.

2) I'll get to do all the things I don't have time to do now.

You have a finite window. Inside that window do those things you want to do, as that window closes, you no longer have the energy / health to support doing them.

3) It's ideal if both my mate and I can retire at the same time.

4) It's fine if I retire and my mate keeps working.

I do not see how this makes any difference.

5) I'll still be important to my work colleagues.

For the first few months, my replacement called me a few times. He retired 2 years after I did. I have re-connected with him on-line.

My career field is fairly high turn-over. No chair is left empty long enough to cool down.

6) My retirement "visual' is walking hand-in-hand along an exotic beach somewhere.

I could have done that. It was an option.

My choice was instead a cabin in a dense forest with a river flowing by it.

Here I am.

7) I won't be alone.

Unless you are a hermit, there are others around.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,251,423 times
1. We no longer have family here but I now am making new friends since I am not working 12 hours a day.
2. I knew that when I retired that I would go to the Y just about every day and I do that. I do some volunteer work, and I also meet friends for lunch, something that I was never able to do with a 25 minute lunch. I like the ability to do whatever I want and when I want.
3. DH is not retiring or at least he does not plan to retire for another few years. Since he doesn't have any hobbies and he really likes his job, there is no reason at this time for him to retire.
4. See #3.
5. I really have no desire to see anyone who I worked with.
6. My plan was to spend more time in St. Maarten, but since I am fostering another dog, it just hasn't worked out at this time.
7. I enjoy my own company so being alone has never bothered me. I fully expect that at some point that I will outlive DH but one never knows. We have a plan for him if he outlives me but if I outlive him, I will get a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or