Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

My little pony-tailed neighbor sure was grumpy after somebody ran into her and totaled her car last week.
In defense, she came home with a big 4 door F-150, snarling "If there's a next time, it won't be my damn car that gets the worst of it!!"
The funny part is seeing her go up the street in it. She doesn't hit 5' on tiptoes or 100 lbs wet.
BYW, she's 76.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i just finished teaching a half semester on "astrology- beyond your sun sign" as a strictly fun course for life long learning class. it's been a hobby of mine for years and it was fun to teach.

though my libra ascendant would keep me from being "grumpy"- too interested in pleasing and keeping harmony, i'd say that, along with NEgirl, i find people who are too optimistic, can be annoying and tedious. i consider myself a realist- not anymore at 70 than i was at 30- but aging has a way of clearing away the extraneous. i do find i suffer fools less gladly than when i was younger, although i never was very good at doing any of that. so perhaps it is aging kicking in.

catsy girl
I've had my chart done several times and most of it is pretty much right on. The 'bad' thing is I have eight air planets in my chart and one lady asked me "Do your feet ever touch the ground??". lol I have a LOT of Libra in my chart but have Pisces rising and Capricorn moon so I guess that keeps me grounded and a hard worker. I've had people tell me, at work, that my constant optimism and 'up' personality can be annoying. I don't care. My customers love me and seek me out BECAUSE I'm positive, friendly and happy. The problem with being this way is that you can't EVER have a 'down' day. If I'm just not feeling well I get accused of being 'mad', which I'm not. I don't think I'll ever be really "grumpy" but I've had my moments!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've had my chart done several times and most of it is pretty much right on. The 'bad' thing is I have eight air planets in my chart and one lady asked me "Do your feet ever touch the ground??". lol I have a LOT of Libra in my chart but have Pisces rising and Capricorn moon so I guess that keeps me grounded and a hard worker. I've had people tell me, at work, that my constant optimism and 'up' personality can be annoying. I don't care. My customers love me and seek me out BECAUSE I'm positive, friendly and happy. The problem with being this way is that you can't EVER have a 'down' day. If I'm just not feeling well I get accused of being 'mad', which I'm not. I don't think I'll ever be really "grumpy" but I've had my moments!

i can be friendly, outgoing, an extrovert when i need to be ,(leo on the cusp and libra rising comes through) but that persona is usually reserved for social groups, teaching, superficial social contacts. much of my career as a social worker was spent in assessing people and their needs, and although that position required establishing rapport with people, it also required a realistic approach to the problems presented, not always optimism.

people who know me well, however, see me more as a reflective, insightful( most of the time ) person in my own life and in personal relationships. i have many water signs as well as air. that combination doesn't usually result in a sustaining sunny, optimistic personality.

catsy girl

Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My little pony-tailed neighbor sure was grumpy after somebody ran into her and totaled her car last week.
In defense, she came home with a big 4 door F-150, snarling "If there's a next time, it won't be my damn car that gets the worst of it!!"
The funny part is seeing her go up the street in it. She doesn't hit 5' on tiptoes or 100 lbs wet.
BYW, she's 76.
Oh, good for her!
My mantra when driving is, "Stay away from me, idiot. I'm bigger than you."

Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I think the grumpy ones just don't like change. And maybe they aren't as comfortable in their bodies as they were when they were younger--you know, aches and pains. And older people don't like having to learn new things all the time. I find that I became more resistant to having to learn new procedures and computer things by the time I was retiring. And I had always been an enthusiastic learner of new things.

But by the time we are seventy, perhaps our brains and bodies are tired, and we feel that we've seen so much change, that we get grumpy.

However, I don't really want to turn into a grumpy Gertrude. Grumpy Gertrude is no fun to be around!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM

332 posts, read 504,815 times
So far - I am not yet 70 - I am bucking the trend. I am less grumpy now than at any other stage of my life.
My mother claims that I was a fussy baby, I know I was a temperamental toddler, if that's what you call hitting your cousin over the head with a hammer because she touched your books. I was three and quiet, mostly docile, but there were lines not to be crossed. I was a wreck in adolescence and young adulthood. Transformation was effected after early menopause and SSRIs. I still think we humans mostly suck, but I've come to the opinion that we can't really help who we are. No excuse for bad behavior that, but some of us are born relentlessly cheerful (aargh to the max), some relentlessly morose. We have a lot less control over who we are than common wisdom would insist. And P.S., don't touch my books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement