U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 PM

9,020 posts, read 7,787,258 times

Advertisements

I (72 today) have always said to my wife let us not become grumpy old people as I see so many do. I try my best not to be the bitcher, complainer, etc. I also will not deal with nor socialize with bitchers and complainers.

If I do not like, I vote with my feet and walk.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I (72 today) have always said to my wife let us not become grumpy old people as I see so many do. I try my best not to be the bitcher, complainer, etc. I also will not deal with nor socialize with bitchers and complainers.

If I do not like, I vote with my feet and walk.
I think one can be pleasantly grumpy (harumph kind of folks), while steering clear of bitching/complaining.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,177,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
AND "turn down that damned noise. . . Is THAT what they call music now???!!!???
Nah, I'll be blasting oldies (AKA classic Hard Core Punk) .... and the kids will make fun of it. Role reversal ...

Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 AM

29,837 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
AND "turn down that damned noise. . . Is THAT what they call music now???!!!???
That sounds familiar, seems like I heard my grandmother saying that when I was a teen.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,242,482 times
The men that become grumpy and mean-spirited are always folks who have reached the last decades of their lives and look back with anger . . . and feel whatever it is they worked so hard for wasn't worth it. Most are either unhappily married and feel stuck or they feel their kids didn't "turn out" as they had wished . . . many feel the people around them let them down . . . lots and lots of anger.

When folks (men and women) reach that point in their lives when they realize there are no more second chances . . . "this is it!!!" . . . some become resigned, some reinvent themselves, and some just get bitter, angry and mean.

I don't think 70 is necessarily the moment this happens, lol. But I think around that time, people can become very disillusioned about "none of it being worth it" . . . "missed opportunities" . . . lousy marriage . . . lost sexual prowess, etc etc.

But it isn't inevitable!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.”

“Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music – the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.”

“Destiny is what you are supposed to do in life. Fate is what kicks you in the a** to make you do it.”

—Henry Miller

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM

29,837 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The men that become grumpy and mean-spirited are always folks who have reached the last decades of their lives and look back with anger . . . and feel whatever it is they worked so hard for wasn't worth it. Most are either unhappily married and feel stuck or they feel their kids didn't "turn out" as they had wished . . . many feel the people around them let them down . . . lots and lots of anger.

When folks (men and women) reach that point in their lives when they realize there are no more second chances . . . "this is it!!!" . . . some become resigned, some reinvent themselves, and some just get bitter, angry and mean.

I don't think 70 is necessarily the moment this happens, lol. But I think around that time, people can become very disillusioned about "none of it being worth it" . . . "missed opportunities" . . . lousy marriage . . . lost sexual prowess, etc etc.

But it isn't inevitable!
Excellent commentary and often enhanced when they see others prospering who they don't think should be.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM

9,020 posts, read 7,787,258 times
Quote:

But it isn't inevitable!
Interesting observation. I guess the reason for my bright, optimistic outlook is I have loved every minute of life (even the rough spots taught me things) and I look forward to more life. Being financially comfortable plays a role as it does remove pressure.

As far as sexual prowess.....I can still talk a good one.....LOL

Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 AM

9,780 posts, read 7,067,088 times
Quote:

But it isn't inevitable!
That's sad, isn't it? Especially as many of those folks actually had full, productive lives,influenced other people they interacted with, children, friends, coworkers, acquaintances in ways they'll never know, made many contributions that enriched the lives of others, even in small ways. But not being able to see or appreciate that makes them feel like failures, when in reality they're anything but.....

Sometimes listening to a senior who wants to talk about his past, his work, military experiences, perspectives on loved ones, people in general, wherever the conversation leads, can go a long way in alleviating the feeling in many seniors that they've outlived their usefulness, and have wasted their lives. Some of those seniors are treasure troves of knowledge and information, and I find what they tell me about their experiences in their earlier years adds to my perspective on the world as it is today. Just a thought.

That, and of course, looking at the little things in the moment, appreciating the gifts we have and see around us, always goes a long way, at least IMO, towards maintaining a positive outlook.....

Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,772,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's sad, isn't it? Especially as many of those folks actually had full, productive lives,influenced other people they interacted with, children, friends, coworkers, acquaintances in ways they'll never know, made many contributions that enriched the lives of others, even in small ways. But not being able to see or appreciate that makes them feel like failures, when in reality they're anything but.....

Sometimes listening to a senior who wants to talk about his past, his work, military experiences, perspectives on loved ones, people in general, wherever the conversation leads, can go a long way in alleviating the feeling in many seniors that they've outlived their usefulness, and have wasted their lives. Some of those seniors are treasure troves of knowledge and information, and I find what they tell me about their experiences in their earlier years adds to my perspective on the world as it is today. Just a thought.

That, and of course, looking at the little things in the moment, appreciating the gifts we have and see around us, always goes a long way, at least IMO, towards maintaining a positive outlook.....
Good point. Your comments led me to the thought that we should all be less hesitant in expressing our appreciation, when merited, to people of all ages. There is nothing quite so powerful as unsolicited, genuine appreciation coming from another human being.

About two weeks ago I received this comment as part of an email written by a lady who is the PTA president at a middle school where I volunteer once a week; her daughter is in the 6th grade there:

"So in case you doubt that you are making an impact in their lives, please know that you are and that what you have given them matters now and will continue to echo for years to come."

To say that her comment was meaningful and gratifying to me would be an understatement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement